Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice needed on rigid fork please
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Carrera Fury I want to turn into a hybrid/hack/pottering about on thing. I want to change the rockshox tora’s for a rigid fork, but I’m getting all confused.
    The rockshox is adjustable from 90-130mm ish.
    When measuring axle to crown, I’ve assumed the crown is the bottom of the steerer tube, is that correct ?
    That gives me a measurement of axle to crown, of 510mm if forks are extended and 470mm if not extended.
    Now, I’ve had a quick look aroung for forks, and they seem to range from 413mm to 445mm axle to crown, even a 29er fork only gives 460mm axle to crown.
    They also mention being suspension adjusted for 85mm suspension or 100mm suspension.
    So, am I measuring to the wrong point for the crown?
    If I got a rigid that was adjusted for 100mm suspension would that be ok?
    Someone please tell me how to do it so I keep the bike the same size it is now, or what it would mean to me if I dont keep it the same size, I’m assuming that would alter the head angle and make it slacker or steeper.
    Help me out folks. 🙂

Cheers

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’d go for ‘adjusted for 100mm forks’ if i were you.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Cheers hungry monkey. Tell me if I have this right, I ride with the forks extended, so 510 A-C. If I got a “100mm adjusted fork” at 445, would the front of my bike be 65mm lower than it is now? or am I missing something here ?

Cheers

Dickyboy

I ride with the forks extended, so 510 A-C. If I got a “100mm adjusted fork” at 445, would the front of my bike be 65mm lower than it is now?

Yes

druidh
    Free Member

Remember that you’re measuring your Toras unladen, so with a bit of sag in there, the actual A-C will be less.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

But don’t forget, if you are on the bike you will be compressing the suspension (sag) so the actual difference will be smaller, and you won’t ever compress the suspension making your suspension forks shorter than the rigids. So the rigids will be kind of in the middle of the travel you use, ish…

I have pondered putting rigid forks on my Fury that is now a SS bike. What forks are you looking at?

EDIT-or “what he said^^^ =” to put it another way 🙂

houndlegs
    Free Member

Ok I understand it now thanks 🙂
    Tracker1972,I was going to be looking at the cheapest forks really, its only going to be used on a local cycle track or towpath, you have any suggestions ?

OCB
    Free Member

You’ll find rigid ’29er’ forks at around 470mm A-C; I don’t recall seeing anything more than that … There’s a decent choice around in that kinda A-C length too, Kona PII’s, Salsa CroMoto Grande, or the Fargo (V2) fork if you want some interesting mounting options.

This is almost certainly of no use at all as an observation, as the frame geo’s will be very different, but I run a set of 29er PII’s on my old (1992) Kona, with a big 26″ tyre, and it’s a *much* better ride now than it ever was on either it’s original PII’s (~440mm), or the 100mm Manitou’s it had for a while. Granted it’s pretty long now, so it’s not for tight, ‘technical’ kinda riding, (‘tho it never was) but I find it perfect for just hacking about on.

Northwind

I put 29er forks into my Carrera Kraken, which had the same geometry as the 08 Fury- not sure how old yours is. Worked an absolute charm, glad I didn’t go for a shorter one. But ymmv of course.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Houndlegs, I would be looking at the cheapest as well, last time I pondered I think Nukeproof and On-One were in the running with carbon forks? Still want to use it as an MTB so don’t want to risk just anything.
    Edit-looking at on-one, I think it was not carbon I was looking at unless prices have changed a lot!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What they said re. sag and also if it’s a bit shorter the handling is unlikely to change drastically.

IanW
    Free Member

445mm for sure, try exotic brand for carbon, very popular round here or on one for steel.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed on rigid fork please’ is closed to new replies.