Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice needed (camera lens protection)
  • womble72
    Free Member

I’ve got a micro four thirds lumix gx8 fitted with a lumix 100-400mm lens. It was a 2nd Hand purchase and the lens came fitted with a cheap uv filter fitted. I’ve just scratched the UV filter (trying to photograph out of a small window and caught the lens on the window catch :roll:) I’ve been looking at 72mm filters to replace it but was wondering whether to just get a clear one rather than a UV. I photograph mainly outdoors and like the idea of protecting the lens from gunk and scratches but don’t want to compromise on IQ. I’m off to Cape Town next week so need to order one soonish.

johndoh
    Free Member

I would have thought (especially as you shoot mainly outdoors) that a UV filter would be the preferred option.

Cougar

I wouldn’t bother personally. You can do a shocking amount of damage to the front of a lens before it has any noticeable effect on photos.

womble72
    Free Member

I always thought uv filters weren’t that necessary for digital cameras. I’m not an expert though.

womble72
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother personally. You can do a shocking amount of damage to the front of a lens before it has any noticeable effect on photos.

A good lens cleaner would be a good option?

Cougar

Or a lens cap. (-:

bigyinn
    Free Member

I take the view of filters being sacrificial. I’d rather damage than a fliter than a lens. Dented filter threads on a lens are a PITA.
    Although as Cougar rightly says, you have to do a large amount of damage to the front element in a lens before it really shows on an image.

womble72
    Free Member

After my incident with the window catch, I’m with the sacrificial filter idea. I notice that even from just a short shooting session and being over the top with the use of a lens cap, the lens can get covered in spots and grease.

finishthat
    Free Member

If you feel the need for a filter then its worth having one with a multi coating from a known brand – hoya BW etc.
    Criteria you could use:
    Lens hood – if you have one use it all the time and it should protect the lens from most attacks.
    Inset front element – some lenses have quite deeply inset front element so its well protected like having a lens hood.
    Expensive lens – is it cheap or very expensive – choice/risk
    Environment – risk – are you likely to bump it travelling or knock it in a crowd etc.
    Personally I do not use one if I have a lens hood , or deep set front element , if a lens has an easily displaced lens cap I might have a filter on it – and remove it when using the lens but I have lots of lenses so inevitably the biggest risk is in storage for me.
    I prefer not to use a filter as they do seem to pickup more smudges due to being very exposed – lens hood is a must though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed (camera lens protection)’ is closed to new replies.