Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • ADVICE: Giant Reign/Manitou Swinger making knocking sound?
  • Ponty

Just built up a Giant Reign (1st generation) using a frame donated by a mate, which he bought whilst working in states. The frame was in almost new condition so I dont think its seen much use. I’m coming from a Blur Classic with fox floar r rear shock..

However, now its built I’m getting a harsh ride from the rear over rocks etc, and when I cycle the rear suspension its making a knocking noise which I can also feel through the saddle. I’ve tried cycling the suspension whilst touching each of the pivots/bearings/shock bushings but everything feels tight (always found which bearing/bush had failed on Blur this way)

This makes me think its the rear shock thats the problem (although I may be wrong). The rear shock is a Manitou Swinger Air 3 way with SPV. I’ve set the sag correctly (200lbs in weight so around 140psi in shock), and played around with SPV pressures from 50psi to 175psi but still I get the harsh knock over certain type of terrain together with this knocking sound?

If I stand on the pedals and squish the suspension slowly its feels quite plush, however if I cycle the suspension quickly by pushing down on the pedals or dropping my arse on saddle it knocks?

Any ideas or advice appecated, as this is spoiling what is otherwise a very satisfying build!

Many thanks

Hairychested
    Free Member

I had a knocking sound with my TFTuned Swinger, never managed to get rid of it so the shock went onto the eBay. Vanilla RC and no issues ever since.

sing1etrack

140 psi’s maybe a bit high, I run my VT’s 3-way at about 110psi with about 60 in the red I think (I’m 185 pounds) though I do prefer the suspension running a bit more sag. Not sure about the knocking, wouldn’t say mine does and it’s 3 1/2 years old and had a lot of riding. Might be best to drop a bit of pressure out of the black and see if it’s any plusher and just live with the knocking.

gusamc
    Free Member

mmmmm – also got a serviced manitou

I’ve spent ages tracing a knock – seems only to happen on very initial travel – like 1-2mm movememt. I spent ages checking every bearing but I’m now pretty sure it’s something inside the shock, I can make it knock by compressing seat, shock appears to work, doesn’t loose air – but I’ve tried fondling every other moving part and they only appear to move as expected…….

larry

I had the same thing with an old swinger shock on my orange 5, the knocking just started one day and it felt like something clunking about. I changed the bushings and used a mates mounting hardware and the knocking remained, changed the shock to mates and the knocking went. so I concluded it was the shock. Probably no help but I treated myself to a fox rp23 which is fantastic compared to the old swinger anyway.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Had it on one with a swinger 3 way as well, swapped the shock for a spare 3 way I had-problem solved. Try stripping it down, you can get instructions form Manitou’s website. They’re straight forward enough & not nitrogen charged like many shocks

Ponty

Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

Just back from another ride…after trying out all sorts of pressures etc…..and I’m pretty sure its the shock….strange thing is, sometimes it feels plush, other times its harsh? Always knocks…

So, couple of questions

1. Does the Reign with its ‘Masetro’ suspension, need a platform shock? I’ve had a Blur classic since they came out with a basic Float AVA R, and its been brill.

2. Still have my Blur frame, and the shock has the same eye 2 eye, but a 57mm stroke compared to 65mm on the Reign….can I use this shock on the Reign?

3. If the Swinger is broke, but TFT can fix for the cost of a service (£85)……should I? Or consider putting the cash towards the cost of a Fox RP23….assuming this is the best shock for this frame?

Thanks again

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Just took my Swinger air to bits and replaced the oil and seals. It’s now plusher than it was, but i’m getting a knock at the end of the return stroke that wasn’t there before. I think this might be due to me leaving a bit of air in the damper when i filled it with oil so i’m going to strip it down again and be a bit more careful when i add the oil this time…
    It that solves the problem i’ll let you know. They’re really not that complicated so there’s not much to go wrong. If i’m right about the air, all you need to do is do what i’ve done/will do – i think…
    🙂

singletrackmind

you probably have some air underneath the piston in the piggy back chamber.

Or the Piggy back valve is stuck.

This will accelerate the rebound so it ‘tops out’ with a hefty clunk. There is no elastomer bump stop inside.

Try opening the piggy back chamber with an adjustable spanner and ensuring the piston is free, then dunk it into the oil bath and re-fit the end cap

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Ooh… Scratch that last post. Just realised that there was no air in the SPV chamber, so the knocking must have been the damper piston being sucked up at the end of the stroke, or sumfink.
    Could it be that you were/are losing pressure from the SPV chamber? The red valve outer can come loose, particularly if you’re often attaching and detaching a shock pump???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ADVICE: Giant Reign/Manitou Swinger making knocking sound?’ is closed to new replies.