Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice from recruitment agents please
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Started looking for a job a while back and have had an interview, got the second interview in a couple of days. Since I started looking, I have been made redundent.

Do I tell the new company?

i guess the answer is a No until yuou factor in this. The guy interviewing me knows my boss at the place I have just been made redundent from. My boss (the english one, not the Israeli) is a good bloke and has proised a stunning reference.

Do I get my boss to ring the interviewer saying how wonderful I am before the interview which would be good except it means admiting I have been made redundent.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used to work in recruitment, but I think this piece of advice still stands…

Tell the truth. Explain what and why you were made redundant, of course (with a positive spin if possible) but ultimately, tell the truth.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Why would you want to hide the fact you have been made redundant? Or am I reading it incorrectly?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it not to your advantage as yu would be able to start quicker?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

i always tell the truth. I was just wondering when to tell it. If I was recruiting for this position and new the guy I was after had just been made redundent I would knock £10K of the salary offer which is why I was hesitant.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

i always tell the truth. I was just wondering when to tell it. If I was recruiting for this position and new the guy I was after had just been made redundent I would knock £10K of the salary offer which is why I was hesitant.

Well, if I was the Recruiter acting on your behalf, I would have already told the customer that you had been made redundant (as long as it was for the right reasons)as TJ points out it would be to your advantage and in my time in recruitment (20 years this year, which is a record for this industry) I have never ever known a customer to lower a salary offer because the person has been made redundant.

HTH

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

KingTut – The salary offer hasn’t been made yet. We have just talked about ‘in the region of XXX depending on performance, conditions etc’ No detail about the split of basic vs performance.

I guess I will get onto the recruitment agent who set this deal up and explain the situation. Just thought I’d checkwith the real experts before weaking my position.

andym
    Free Member

I don’t see why the fact that you’ve been made redundant has any bearing on your suitability for the new job. After all it’s not like you’ve been sacked for misconduct. FWIW my advice would be don’t hide it, but don’t make an issue of it. No harm in mentioning it if it comes to a discussion about start dates.

geoffj

Well you could lie about your current salary and dates of employment, but an employer of any worth will check the numbers on your P45.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

KingTut – The salary offer hasn’t been made yet. We have just talked about ‘in the region of XXX depending on performance, conditions etc’ No detail about the split of basic vs performance.

You know your worth, I’m sure you know the current regional salary range for the position you are applying for with this knowledge you’ll soon know if they are taking pee with their offer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice from recruitment agents please’ is closed to new replies.