Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Advice for the mechanically inept please…
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

Yet again I am after advice from the Singletrack experts to make up for my general mechanical hopelessness…
    1) I have a funny knocking noise coming from the headset on my Trance 1, does this mean the headset is dead? It seems tight enough.
    2) Also on my Trance 1 I have a horrible creaking noise coming from the linkages for the rear suss, It really just appears when I stand up and pedal hard. I dont think its the bottom bracket as its pretty new. I have taken the pedals off and greased the threads, and greased the seatpost as a mate suggested that you can get a whole world of creaking through an aluminium frame from both those.
    Please help, its doing my nut in! 😳

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

1) Do the rocking test for the headset at 0 and 90 Degrees.

2) Check torque on linkage bolts, with a torque wrench please 😉

richmtb

A dead headset is generally gritty feeling steering rather than a loose sensation.

Loosen the stem bolts completely and check the top cap bolt for tightness.

Creaks can be a right pain.

If its when you pedal then its more than likely the bottom bracket or chainset.

Grease all the bolts including the chainring bolts and see if the creak goes away

richmars

It seems tight enough.

Maybe too tight.

2. Not sure.
    Try and eliminate things. Pedal standing up. Bounce while free wheeling. etc.

z1ppy

1) http://www.norco.com/news/895/tech-guide-how-do-i-tighten-my-headset/

2)
    a] Could be any number of things – dirt on the rails of your seat (remove and clean), dirt in the QR, worn shock bushing, or worn suspension bearings. It’s not easy to diagnose over the internet
    Test/clean one thing at a time and see if it make a difference
    b] Ungrease your seatpost, as thats silly. Just keep it clean

patriotpro
    Free Member

Stem and bars are another creak-culprit.

Disassemble, clean with some isopropyl type bizzle then reassemble.

johnellison
    Free Member

I have a funny knocking noise coming from the headset on my Trance 1, does this mean the headset is dead? It seems tight enough.

Not necessarily – as above, try the rocking test with the bars turned at right-angles to the frame. Does the headset turn smoothly or is it stiff (stop sniggering at the back)?? It’s amazing how bad a headset can feel if it’s even a microscopically amount loose – even 1/8 of a turn on the top cap can make the difference.

If it isn’t the headset, also consider worn/loose wheel bearings; loose front wheel q/r; or worn fork bushes.

Also on my Trance 1 I have a horrible creaking noise coming from the linkages for the rear suss, It really just appears when I stand up and pedal hard. I dont think its the bottom bracket as its pretty new. I have taken the pedals off and greased the threads, and greased the seatpost as a mate suggested that you can get a whole world of creaking through an aluminium frame from both those.

When the BB was fitted, was the shell faced to match? Were the BB threads greased when it was fitted? I’m more inclined to thing that it’s the BB rather than the suspension linkages.

slowclimb
    Free Member

I have little to no confidence that the shop/guy who fitted the bottom bracket knew what he was doing to be honest…think I’ll get real shop to take a look…
    Cheers for all the advice though I’ll give that a go first.

z1ppy – I thought you always had to grease seatposts if they werent carbon?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can you replace the bearings in the headset or frame?
    If not the find somewhere you can trust and ask them.

portlyone

My seatpost isn’t “greased” but has something like carbon assembly paste on it to stop it sliding around and seizing up.

allthepies
    Free Member

1) I have a funny knocking noise coming from the headset on my Trance 1, does this mean the headset is dead? It seems tight enough.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was “tight enough” ? If you do so by tightening the topcap then presumably you undid the stem clamp bolts first ? 😉

z1ppy

I thought you always had to grease seatposts if they werent carbon?

Why? Keep it clean, greasing it only encourages it to slip, obviously a smear won’t hurt but I’d (i’ve) avoid it. I reckon grease will attract dirt and cause creaking
    Use carbon assembly paste is useful it it does slip though (obviously not a problem) & stop it seizing

slowclimb
    Free Member

[/quote]How did you come to the conclusion that it was “tight enough” ? If you do so by tightening the topcap then presumably you undid the stem clamp bolts first ?

Yeah I did, one of the few things I know how to check on a bike 😀

walleater

I’ve solved more creaking sounds by greasing the seatpost than removing the grease…. Bear in mind that a seat tube can flex a bit under loads and this causes movement between two objects, hence creaking.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Advice for the mechanically inept please…’ is closed to new replies.