Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Advice for keeping your bird all hot and moist this season….
  • DrP

Heard on the Radio (James Martin perhaps?) that you should aim to ‘cook’ the turkey at least 60-90 minutes before carving time, so it rests. Obviously you’d cover with tin foil, but anything else to keep the heat in? Blanket?

I’ve done it with red meat and chickens, but not rested for that long…

Anyone else think 90 is a bit long?

It will, however, free up the over for the other goodies!

DrP

missnotax
    Free Member

I usually rest it for about 30 mins whilst I cook all the other stuff (pigs in blankets, stuffing, cauli cheese etc) that won’t fit in the oven with the turkey in it! Always worked fine for me 🙂

I just cover it in foil – to be honest the kitchen is uaully thermo-nuclear by then so theres bugger all chance of it ‘cooling’ as such!

Rich
    Free Member

I’ve heard of cooking the turkey upside down to keep it juicy.

Gary_C

Reads thread title.

Opens thread.

Is disappointed.

Closes thread.

z1ppy

Brining

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Lol @ Gary_C!

Tend to cover the Chicken/Turkey in a butter sauce.

Milkie
    Free Member

Never cooked a Turkey, but seen it usually done upside down with bacon all over it. Always moist, but still Turkey 🙁

rob2
    Free Member

Cook upside down sir.

We’re having a cockerel.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There are websites dedicated to that sort of dirty talk Sir.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

fifty shades of grey

catfood
    Free Member

Gordon Ramsay suggests you rest the bird for as long as you cook it, the meat doesnt have to be that hot as you are pouring red hot gravy over it. Huge amounts of lemony garlicy butter under the skin and plenty of streaky bacon on the bird is the go for keeping it moist, although Im cooking goose myself, mmmm.

Coyote
    Free Member

Baste well with melted butter, cover in streaky bacon. Add some water under the wire tray and bung a couple of onions in there.

Oh, and cook it the night before. You’ve got enough to be doing on the run up to dinner.

cheez0
    Free Member

Baste well with melted butter, cover in streaky bacon. Add some water under the wire tray and bung a couple of onions in there

..Are we still talking about turkey?

derek_starship
    Free Member

My mum used to cook the turkey on Xmas eve. This worked out fine until the year I discovered the ale. And came home from the pub with munchies. I only ate one leg and tore a bit of breast off. Could have been worse….

hambl90
    Free Member

Lol at Derek ^ my mother used to cook the Sunday roast on Saturday night until teeth marks started to appear in it on Sunday morning lol

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I remember reading somewhere that you shoud rest meat for however long you’d cooked it. **** that, I’d be ravenous!.

djglover
    Free Member

I’ll spend most of the morning basting my own sausage.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Tried phil vickery’s method last year and it was very good.Its on phil vickery tv highly recommended.

mightymule
    Free Member

We’ll be having roast beef instead.

Mmmmmmm – dead cow product 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Advice for keeping your bird all hot and moist this season….’ is closed to new replies.