Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • advice for hot weather races?
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

exactly what it says on the tin…
    what do i need to know?
    thanks
    Bruce

anagallis_arvensis

drink lots

alwyn
    Free Member

Suncream.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take your time and enjoy the ride. After all whats the hurry? go too fast and its over and done with quickly

mrmo
    Free Member

From my first Cristalp, drink lots but be aware that you can only absorb so much and you may be sweating out more than you are absorbing. This detail resulted in me stopping on a bridge just outside Evolene and vomitting repeatdly till i felt really ill, not to say i wasn’t feeling ill before i started, just far worse after.

So i would suggest make sure you are decently hydrated BEFORE you start.

Obvious things like suncream, sunglasses depending on how tolerant you are of bright light etc.

anagallis_arvensis

some details of the event will help. I always used to use a camelback with weak energy drink and a bottle of plain water on long events so I could pur water over my bonce to try and keep myself cool.

oldgit
    Free Member

Distance?
    If it’s a short XC blast i.e one hour or less then it’s all about hydration before the event. TBH in short races I’m guilty of forgeting my drinking altogether.
    Short road races even crits you can manage hydration on the move.
    Enduros and stuff just good management before during and after.
    Didn’t someone from here have fits because they over hydrated?
    Suncream, though I can get water blisters under heavy cream as it stops perspiring.
    Sensible clothing choice!
    Warm up plenty if it’s a short one.
    Just my opinions.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

good advice about cooling down…

ajf
    Free Member

Only thing to add is wear a white or light colored top. White reflects heat and sun, black absorbs.

Won’t help as much as hydrating properly but every little helps. 🙂

Flaperon

The Under Armour heat gear stuff is pretty good in baking conditions. You stay cool, but don’t feel like you’re sweating.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘advice for hot weather races?’ is closed to new replies.