Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice for buying new forks please…
  • sunnydaze310
    Free Member

Hi all,

Need to buy some new forks (120-140mm) for a 26″ hardtail..bike gets ridden everywhere and for long durations at a time e.g. 6-8 hour days out…so I guess needs to be stiff enough to tackle all terrain but light(ish) too…however I never slam it off drops etc..oh, and I want to be able to service them at home reasonably easily..

Any suggestionss?

Cheers…

rossburton
    Free Member

As it’s a 26er I guess the important question is straight steerer or tapered? If it’s straight you’re pretty much limited to RockShox Revelations for new forks.

sunnydaze310
    Free Member

Good point – tapered.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I like my RS Rebas. Easy enough to service and nice and light too (compared to the Toras they replaced).

billyboy
    Free Member

Out of the 4 Rockshox forks I’ve owned, 3 have been duds.

If it were me, I’d probably go X Fusion. But just the plain RL2 model, not one with a travel adjust facility.

billyboy
    Free Member

Sorry that should read…out of the 6 Rockshox Forks I’ve owned, 4 have been duds.

sunnydaze310
    Free Member

@billyboy – a good timeley post thanks. I’ve been thinking about x-fusion velvet or some other. Why not the travel adjust though?

nwill1
    Free Member

What’s been dud about your RS? I’ve had 3 sets…so far so good.

mccraque

@sunnydaze – the x fusion have an internal rod that you can adjust the pin on in (I think) 20mm increments

jairaj

what’s your budget? What axle standard do you need?

Most forks these days are pretty reliable and you can perform a lower leg service with some basic tools on most of them. Even a full service requires a few more tools like circlip pliers and can be performed at home.

RS seem to be getting a bit of a bad rep at the moment but not sure if that’s just because they sell more?

Budget would help narrow the choice down a bit.

RS Reba would be a good budget option, the RL damper is simple in design but works quite well in the field. The SID is a similar chassis but higher end so a bit more lighter still and has options for more advanced dampers.

The X fussion forks are pretty good too but the 26″ chassis are a little heavy around 1800g which is what I’d expect a longer travel fork to be.

Fox 32 chassis would be suitable too but these are usually priced at the higher end.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice for buying new forks please…’ is closed to new replies.