Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • advice for a new purchase – tyres needed?
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi All,

I just took the plunge and got some hoops but with Arch EX. See here:

http://www.moonglu.com/shop/hope-pro-2-evo-on-white-stans-arch-ex-rims/

I usually ride with High Rollers – 2.3 or XC Fire Pro’s – 2.1.

I’m sure the Fire’s will suit but can anyone guide me to better? I usually ride in a mixture of sandy mud that dries out fast because of great drainage/roots.

Cheers all.

bol

The new Specialized tires are worth a look. I’ve had very good experience with the purgatory and ground control. Heard very good things about the renegade as well for drier/racier conditions. They’re darn cheap in comparison to many too. I think it would be the ground controls that are closest to the tyres you mention.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks Bol.

I’ve never tried Specialized so may do that. Also I’m wanting to go tubeless for the first time but I’m scared of needing to change tyres too much… Would the ground controls be okay in most conditions, in your opinion?

bol

I’ve been running a ground control on the rear and purgatory on the front on my hardtail through the winter so far after trying out a few other combinations first. I have found them really confidence inspiring in the mud and on wet roots. I got caught out on Saturday when they fully clogged up with semi-frozen mud – otherwise they clear well. The tread pattern is almost identical to Nobby Nics, which I used year round on my 26er.

br
    Free Member

Put whatever will be your ‘normal’ tyres (but buy new ones) on the new wheels, tubelessly. And then keep your old wheels with a set of mudpluggers on.

Swap wheels, not tyres.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Those Stan’s Arch EX rims really make the Fire’s thicker/fuller – I’m really liking them – so pretty too!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘advice for a new purchase – tyres needed?’ is closed to new replies.