Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Advice – buying Euros
  • ski
    Free Member

Does anyone have any tips or predictions on buying Euros?

Looking to bum my way round Europe for a while

So Will need some in six weeks time all going well and not sure weather it’s better/safer to buy now or leave it closer to when we need them, I guess Greece will have an effect, but it’s a bit beyond me knowing how this could effect the price?

Money is tight for me at the moment so a few extra euros to spend would make my travel plans stretch my time away.

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s the whether looking like? 😛

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rate improved to 1.40 best it’s been since 2005 I think. I’d say change now. If you want to hedge your bets do some now say 40-60% and rest later

ski
    Free Member

Cool, not thought about hedging my investment, thanks.

Weather wise 😉 I am more worried about getting a slug and losing my tourer as soon as I set foot in France 😉

Holmesey
    Free Member

Moneysavingexpert tells where best rates are

Holmesey
    Free Member

null

Cougar

The exchange rate is at a “seven year high” right now apparently, if that helps.

FairFX card, it’s the future.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

FAIRFX.

Bought at €1.37 to the £1 a week ago at a macro rate of €1.40.

Spud

I set myself an amount of x €for x £ and when it reached it bought, That was in late March. I found Eurochange the best rates.

Matt24k
    Free Member

If you are buying large amounts of cash Euros, do not buy from a High St bank or the Post Office etc. NEVER buy currency at the Airport. There are several Forex websites for companies based in central London that have far better rates.
    Many can post up to £2500 of currency.
    Euro
    BEST FOREIGN EXCHANGE.com 1.3866
    Halifax 1.3392
    Post Office 1.3660
    High Street Bureaus 1.3518
    Marks and Spencer 1.3501

A FairFX card is good as you fix your rate when you load the card up. If you load it today you will get 1.3708 so not as good as you can get but better than the High St.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Slipped to £1 = €1.41 this morning…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Post Office has probably the best rate on the high st. 1.373 this morning on £1000. Hassle free, too!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Dunno. But I was in the City the other day and walked past a couple of “hole in the wall” foreign exchange bureaux and there were queues outside both of them – so I guess they must have good rates?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

1.40 for me

S’hampton airport was a joke 1:60 – 1:05 spread – gee, that looks good. Form an orderly queue.

But at 1:40 or better. Expect some weakness over the weekend/early next week with Greece.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Asda was at 1.369 last night, based on the £100 I initially looked at, so didn’t need a large purchase to get their better rate (same rate at 1k and up from them). It was the best I could find yesterday for 1000€.

Given the surprising lack of 11th hour agreement last night though I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t wait till today but is expected a fair rally in the euro rate this morning.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Kanoo is 1.3766 today. Used to be American Express exchange in Sheffield. Shops elswhere as well

jambalaya
    Free Member

tmh, I like Southampton airport very convenient and saves a lot of time with check in/out

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Advice – buying Euros’ is closed to new replies.