Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice appreciated (can't decide on a bike)
  • themilo
    Free Member

Hi – I’ll keep it brief. I’ve got circa £500 to spend (but do love a bargain so less if poss). I want a FS. I’m old and fairly (but not very) fit. I mostly do trail centers (Cwmcarn/Afan) and XC round the Beacons. I need something that will climb with relative ease and descend fairly quickly with some “plushness”. I’m looking at a 2008 Spesh FSR XC and a 2007 Cannondale Scalpel (which looks to have been modded as it has Bomber forks).

Could I ask your opinions please? If you have any alternative recommendations I’d be interested in hearing them as well!

Thanks all

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My money would go on the Spesh if I hadn’t read this

Poor review click

ivnickkate
    Free Member
    z1ppy

I wouldn’t have said the Scalpel is a plush option, as it’s C’dale’s out and out (FS) race bike & would no doubt climb very well, but with minimal rear suspension (67mm).. Not suggest it’s not a great bike but doesn’t sound what your after.
    No idea about the Spesh, other than they tend to be very capable but not always very inspiring rides. Strange to get such a bad review from BR (WhatMTB) though, the bigger manufacturer don’t tend to get it that wrong normally.

themilo
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all. I’m leaning away from the Cdale although it looks to be a bargain it does seem closer to a HT than I probably need. Any opinions on either of these:

GT IDXC 3.0
    GT i-drive xcr5

ivnickate – Cheers for the link but i’m trying not to get into looking at new bikes. I know where that’ll lead!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Second hand Giant Anthem

somouk
    Free Member

I ride a spesh FSR and find it is a very very capable bike and can be built to be as light or heavy as you want.

It is however quite a dull ride really, flatters the rider and flattens the trail!

Northwind

I had an Idrive XCR 5- it was a mixed bag tbh. Felt strong like ox, very clever suspension (probably a matter of taste but I thought it worked well, despite having a horrible cheapo shock). But the geometry was weird for such a hefty, long travel bike, it ended up being much like a really OTT XC bike rather than a long travel trail bike.

Great value in the full builds though- if it’s one of the Halfords builds with the Recons etc then it’ll probably do you fine but it’s a definate missed opportunity.

nick1962
    Free Member

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice appreciated (can't decide on a bike)’ is closed to new replies.