Search the forum using the power of Google

• This topic has 207 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by euain.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 208 total)
  • Advent of Code
  • llama

had to put on hold now due to trying to get the stuff I’m paid for done in time for hols

might give todays a shot later

euain

Mid dog-walk, worked out how to do part 1 with pen and paper (and managed to prove to myself there couldn’t be any higher values of height that I hadn’t reached). 14ms for the solution to b now :).

jimmy

Finished Day 6Pt2 Lanternfish. Quite simple in the end but again, techie code issues muddied the water. Getting better tho.

Aidy
    Free Member

Fiddly one today. Not really difficult, just some annoying code to write.

At least part 2 was trivial.

euain

Yup, that sums it up. A bit of a slog on this one – and I managed to mess up the “get the number to the right of this one” stuff in a way I didn’t spot for a while (trying to be too clever).

The folding one is still my favourite so far. (Or yesterday’s one about launching drones but that’s just because I managed to work out the first bit with a pen, paper and calculator – and that was being lazy).

Aidy
    Free Member

Gosh, today’s was hard work.

Aidy
    Free Member

Today’s was a bit sneaky, but went okay.

euain

Found Sunday’s bloody hard work. Plenty of chance to get thoroughly confused for me.

Relief that today’s was a lot easier – though I was disappointed I didn’t get a nice picture out at the end. (Or maybe I should have and my output isn’t working properly?). Not sure about sneaky – they repeated “it’s infinite” a few times but took a wee bit of head scratching.

Aidy
    Free Member

Properly confused by part 2 today

Aidy
    Free Member

Worked it out, that required a lot of thinking.

euain

Agreed – took a bit of thinking about and my clever shortcut didn’t work at all and I had to start again.

Then I was getting the wrong answer and thought it should be right. Parked it to do some proper work. Fresh eyes found I’d managed to overtype something and put a bug in my code that works out the position when you add the dice roll to your current position. Step 1 was fine – step 2 was never returning position 10. Doh..

euain

Annoying today – mine was just about working but numbers were slightly off. In a messy bit of code I was checking a “xmin” instead of “zmin” – so my cuboids weren’t as they should be! OK after that.

Aidy
    Free Member

I really can’t seem to get today’s to work, I’m doing something weird with calculating a compound sum, I think.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m playing catchup as busy over the weekend but now away on holiday and it’s peeing it down so it’s keeping me occupied

euain

I think mine’s pretty solid for today so happy to supply alternate test cases / debugging scenarios if that helps.

Aidy
    Free Member

Cheers! It’s not the test cases I’m stuck on though, I’m failing at something something nested intersecting cubes.

Aidy
    Free Member

Got it, finally. Had to have a small hint to think about it differently.

Aidy
    Free Member

Just did part 1 on paper today, can’t see a solution for part 2 yet, let alone the lowest cost solution.

Aidy
    Free Member

@euain – if you end up with some code to do part 2, and wouldn’t mind checking my input, I’d appreciate it. I’m really not seeing *any* solution for it.

Aidy
    Free Member

never mind – got it.

… but there can’t be more than one solution…

euain

Not had a chance to attack it today. Not quite sure how I’m going to go about this. Hopefully get some time tomorrow.

Aidy
    Free Member

I think I’ve got a solution that will work, just need to add scoring to it.

It’s *absurd*, though.

euain

Amphipod one worked OK. My solution wasn’t too clever but both parts solve in <1s (I think mainly because it’s just an small-ish integer array) so I’ll take that. Sheer luck meant I just had minor changes between pt 1 and 2.

Aidy
    Free Member

Today’s took longer than it should have

euain

Still to do more than have a wee look over that one. I wonder how long a brute-force approach is going to take on that :).

Aidy
    Free Member

Nice fast one today

euain

I’ve got a geeky few hours booked in for Boxing Day. Still got 24 and 25 to do.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m still playing catch-up after being away. Just completed Day20.

View post on imgur.com

ebygomm
    Free Member

Not a fan of Day24, wasted a load of time creating my Arithmetic Logic Unit then had to go in a totally different direction.

Day25 nice and straightforward, still short 8 stars

euain

And suddenly it’s time for AoC 2022.

Nice gentle introduction today. Anyone else started?

butcher

I’m still having nightmares from last year.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

First time for me this year. So far so good…

llama

Bit busier this year, have to do them in dribs and drabs

walowiz

Never seen this before.

Never seen this before, but just solved the first day with excel, is that cheating? (There wasn’t an RPGIV editor on replit.com, so I’m a bit stuffed otherwise).

RPG ? I haven’t written any RPG in anger for over a decade, probably longer. Let me dig out that old as/400 I have in the loft….

Aidy
    Free Member

I’m in again this year

footflaps

There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors.

— Jeff Atwood (@codinghorror) August 31, 2014

Never seen that before, but spot on. Although you could add reucursion..

llama

First time for me this year. So far so good…

If it’s like last year, you can knock the first 10 days or so out without thinking too hard, but after that they get steadily trickier, and the last week is not easy (average/good sw bod with 30 years experience)

jimdubleyou

Took me 20 minutes to remember how to convert text files into DB2 tables, so not holding out too much hope for me being able to do this in a timely manner 🙂

Will have a crack at lunchtime…

Aidy
    Free Member

How’s everyone doing so far?

butcher

I’m halfway through day 1.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.