Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Advent Calendar Doors….remove or close or ajar?
  • rockhopper70

Five in our household, and everyone thinks I’m mad for tearing the doors off my advent calendar.

The door “hinges” are serrated, therefore it’s engineered for the doors to be removed. But, seemingly, oh no, this is just a fold, to keep the doors on when opened. My answer, if it is was meant to be a hinge, that it would be scored, not serrated.

Mrs R, bizarrely, not only leaves the doors on, but closes them after snaffling the chocolate, so the calendar looks the same every day!

The kids leave the doors on, but slightly ajar at a jaunty angle. Looks messy.

I submit I have this right, that the imminence of the big day is visual, as the snowman loses his eye, the deer a hoof, etc as the month goes on. Also backed up by how the calendar is built.

So, remove, close or ajar?

martinhutch

Close. Then you re-use the advent calendar for over a decade, like my family did…

Superficial
    Free Member

The serrations are clearly to allow the doors to hinge, and you’re a monster.

beej

Ajar. Ripping the doors off shows… tendencies.

rockhopper70

Serrations are normally an invite to rip/tear. In my view.

northernmatt

Close. As above you are a monster.

What would happen if you had a calendar that didn’t have serrations at the hinge? Would you still rip them off?

rockhopper70

Be gone with your reasoned arguments northernmatt.

Maybe take a knife to them, or a careful tear? I’ve always torn doors off.

Now I’m thinking I might not have the backing I hoped for…………..

imnotverygood

Definitely ajar. Are you mad?

cakeandcheese

You’re meant to use explosives to remove them, apparently.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I like to close them… But perfectly. So each day is a right bastard to find the next one.

tthew

The kids leave the doors on, but slightly ajar at a jaunty angle. Looks messy.

As the Who once said, The Kids Are Alright. I think the drummer held this view with most conviction out of the lot of them, however I digress.

The angle however, has to be the same for each door.

My daughters frankly looks like it’s been attacked by bears, and there’s only about 3 chocolates left.

kelron
    Free Member

Leave them open so you can see the pictures.

oldnick

But my Colin the Caterpillar advent calendar is slowly gaining his mobility, I kind of hope he will realise during Christmas Eve that with his full compliment of legs he should make a run for it, as on the 25th I will rip his face off.

Now that I’ve written this it sounds a bit dystopian.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’m with OP on this one. Doors straight off and in the bin. Life is too busy to be trying to find the right door each morning and it gets more efficient as the month goes on. I must have my December morning fix of tiny chocolate ASAP!
    The children all leave them in a combination of closed/ajar/off/generally ripped to shreds as we get closer to Christmas and the remaining cardboard framework can’t handle the daily abuse.

kayak23

I bought a dog one from Aldi for the mutt.
    I opened day 1 and there was nowt there.
    Must have lost the bond and the treat fell down the gap to another date.

Might have to rip the doors off to find it.
    Buy cheap buy twice innit.

Oh, and leave the doors on. What kind of lunatic rips the doors off?
    Do you go around your house ripping the doors off their hinges as you walk through?

Cougar

Shove ’em inside. Visual guide without flappy messiness or borderline psychopathic tendencies.

mrsheen
    Free Member

I think all civilised nations are In agreement that advent doors should remain open only on their day. All other doors, past and future should be firmly closed and secured.

docgeoffyjones

Closed. Unless of course, you were born in a cave.

fasthaggis

On ours ,we mark all the opened doors with a tiny Plague Cross in red 😉
    Beware

slowoldman

Left ajar.

rockhopper70

Another year (that went quick) and day one, they family still have the OPEN doors on their calendars. I wonder if they have worked out my username and realise they have the support of STW.

Oddly enough, I wasn’t bought one this year. I “may” have sulked about doors issue last year. Or it may have been that I wanted the Wera one, which is pricey.

dyna-ti

Ajar. Ripping the doors off shows… tendencies.

Wanting to close the doors too to retain a neat look also implies … tendencies.

sc-xc

I’m with the OP.

Remove the doors. You wouldn’t put an empty bag of KP back on the card in the pub would you? You’d never get to see the underboob.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Does not the opener have the final choice? This way you gradually build up a display that please no one. Surely a true reflectio of a modern Christmas.
    Thankfully this year I am in charge of the class advent calender so things will be left as I want. Stuff the teacher. She is a messy bint anyway.

tonyd

Leave the door ajar of course.

OP – what happens if the calendar is one of those with a foil cover behind the door? Do you rip the door off but leave ragged foil edges, or spend ages neatly trimming them back?

dudeofdoom

Ah subconsciously you know you are doing a wrong un as you use the term ‘Door’
    Doors are open or closed.

If it was supposed to be ripped off it would have a little tab to aid removal and no hinge and wouldn’t be called a door.

simondbarnes

Oddly enough, I wasn’t bought one this year

That’s because you’re bloody mental

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.