• This topic has 60 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Advanced driving course
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Has anyone done one of these?

My missus was worrying me a bit this morning when she gave me a lift to work… lots of funny gear selection, hesitating with lane changes and pulling out in front of someone at a roundabout.

I am a patronising and condescending arse, so she won’t take criticism from me well. Regardless, I think she could do with a bit of a refresher or some guidance from someone, so it would work best if that wasn’t me.

So, anyway… I suggested that we should both go on an advanced driving course together and she didn’t seem too against the idea.

Quick google turned up this half day course for £169… Anyone got any experiences of them? They look like a nationwide franchise type thing, where they’d book a local instructor. Would I be better off going direct?

Any wider comments of these kind of courses, or suggestions of alternative things for us to do.

Dave

joao3v16
    Free Member

lots of funny gear selection, hesitating with lane changes and pulling out in front of someone at a roundabout.

Sounds like she needs more experience/confidence with the basics, rather than anything advanced.

(although I’ve never done an advanced driving course – maybe they address these things) …

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Women are allowed to drive now?

Sweet baby jebus! What is the world coming to?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alfabus
    Free Member

Sounds like she needs more experience/confidence with the basics, rather than anything advanced.

She does lack general confidence… I think if she had some instruction in gear selection and overtaking it would make her realise that she knows how to do this stuff. The advanced courses I’ve seen aren’t all J-turns and racing, they are just how to drive smoothly and safely on motorways and around busy towns.

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

also, it is a much easier sell to get her on an ‘advanced driving course’ than to say “you need to learn how to drive again”.

Dave

woody2000

Good luck with that – I suggested my other half could do with something similar and I was lucky to escape “intact”. Be very careful how you approach it, I was a bit direct and it was definitely the wrong way!

🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

Suggesting we both do it softened the blow somewhat…. I will see if she cuts my balls off tonight.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Whereabouts in the country are you ?

I did a Day, with the Father of a freind of mine who is an Ex police intructor and still does a lot of advanced driving tuition for a number of scenarios.

I got the day for an 18yr old relative of my Ex, as he had had a few near misses, and I went along too.
    I learned so much, I went home absolutely shattered, mentally exhausted more than anything.
    But it was hugely beneficial, mainly down to observation skills and judging speed more appropriately.
    A fantastic day out for both of us, and I`d happily do more of it.
    (I have also done similar days / training on a Motorcycle with equally good results)

alfabus
    Free Member

cheltenham

nbt

Might be worth getting in touch with your local IAM group

http://www.iam.org.uk/groups/iam-groups-directory/detail/detail/85

course last a few weeks and all aspects of “normal” driving are assessed and feedback given.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Agree with nbt. Both of you hook up with the local IAM.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Might be a bit Far, he is Surrey Based

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Try IAM and RoSPA (RoDAR).
    Both aim to develop driving attitudes rather than skills. Takes a while though, certainly not a one day course. More like a commitment over several months.

hora
    Free Member

In general I personally think you’d/I’d benefit more from skid-pan and a track day tuition than a IAM course.

For your missus- definitely a refresher course. I’m sure standard driving instructors can offer a few lessons to watch and iron out issues though.

You don’t have to use a driving instructor before passing your test.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have done the IAM test they assume that you are actually able to drive and not simply sitting there and operating the controls (no offence).

A lack of confidence will be definite disadvantage – I had to overtake a broken down lorry on a hump-backed bridge because the other options were either sitting there until it moved or turn round and go back.

willb
    Free Member

buy her the book called roadcraft before she goes on the course to get the heads up and help her to understand the lingo – vanishing point blah blah

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at local driving instructors… quite a few of them do refresher courses.

They seem like a good idea, but not sure how I’ll sell one to her.

Maybe arrange a skidpan day for us both and get her a refresher course before we go to ‘get her confidence up’.

Dave

hora
    Free Member

Sounds good.

Honestly- Skidpan would benefit anyone. Maybe once or twice in your life the car will skid, slide, kick out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Try IAM and RoSPA (RoDAR).
    Both aim to develop driving attitudes rather than skills. Takes a while though, certainly not a one day course. More like a commitment over several months.

This

You’ll both learn stuff you didn’t even know existed. And it’s a lot cheaper than a one day course too. But it takes time, a bit if commitment and a willingness to learn.

Milkie
    Free Member

She does lack general confidence…

Dutch Courage is what she needs! 😉

cr500dom
    Free Member

Both of you go and do a Trackday, its good fun, you can explore the limits of the car in a relatively safe environment, and you`ll then know whether its a problem regarding technical skill in the car, or whether its more about Observation, planning etc on the road.

My Ex benefitted greatly (once she stopped screaming) when I demonstrated her cars ability on a loose surface / snow, then swapped seats and got her to do the same, she was about to spend her first season in the Alps and was quite frankly a Passenger in the car directing it in a general direction.

She was a long way from driving it, or being in control.

But knowing just how much further she could push it than she thought possible, made the “Normal driving” on tarmac so much better

Once you understand how it behaves beyond the limit of grip you are not so frightened of it, but you need to explore that in a safe environment to start with, rather than a downhill snow covered hairpin in the Alps 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, and skid pan for someone that can’t even find the right gear? You having a laff?

What’s that going to teach you about observation, positioning, etc? Bugger all, that’s what.

EDIT
    Track day? No. Just no. Learn to drive slow before trying to go fast.
    **shakes head and wanders off**

21dwb
    Free Member

Im an emergency response blue light driver which qualifies me to be an IAM (Institue of Advanced Motorists) member. Before trying an advanced course the driver should already be demonstrating the aptitude for advanced driving and observation.

The problems youve highlighted would possibly be better addressed initially in a track environment where car control can be worked on. When car control is moved forward then start working on improving observations when driving on road.

Easy way of doing this without any courses is when driving get your other half to say out loud all hazards that she notices along a drive.

Eg “approaching roundabout 2 cars approaching from the right one from dead ahead, wait to clear then progress through junction.” although feels weird at first this bring your observations on hugely with time.

The roadcraft book mentioned earlier is the drivers bible so weel worth purchasing.

Hope this helps a little

nbt

cr500dom – Member
    Might be a bit Far, he is Surrey Based

alfabus – Member
    cheltenham

Hora, shut up.

hora
    Free Member

PP no.

NBT no.

For me, its about confidence. The driver needs not to think that the car in a sense is on the verge of out of control. That there is a definite point where it will let go and what it will do.

Those can be speeds that the OP’s partner won’t reach 99% of the time so already she’ll feel more relaxed.

I’m against attaining qualifications/accreditations as a fix. I think you should look at the basics first and the persons mindset.

I bet the majority of drivers in the UK would freeze up if they were in a control situation or a close call with another car.

As said on TopGear once, in Finland you are taught from a very young age about control in all conditions as a basic requirement.

Cougar

in Finland you are taught from a very young age about control in all conditions as a basic requirement.

What’s that got to do with driving?

(-:

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Went on a skidpan day years ago. Was really good fun, but I’m not sure I really learnt very much from it apart from ‘boy am I glad my modern car has ABS’. As there was a group of us we didn’t use our own cars, so I learnt nothing about how my car handles. Think the only other thing I remember is that it’s much more fun to skid rear-wheel drive (and much more dangerous as I almost knocked myself out)

(I had only been driving for a year or so at this point so that might be partly why I didn’t get as much out of it)

nbt

You are as usual talking complete bollocks. I’m not saying a skid pan is useless, but it’s not what the OP needs for his missus. She doesn’t need to know how to push the car to its limits and then recover it – she needs to learn to read the road and respond accordingly. This may involve re-learning (or learning) how to control a car properly, which may be better in a closed environment rather than on the road – but at some point, she will need to be out on the road, as her problems seeem to be interaction with other road users.

I’m against attaining qualifications/accreditations as a fix. I think you should look at the basics first and the persons mindset.

You really do beggar belief sometimes. Top Gear is not the bible when it comes to all things automotive. Have you even attended an IAM Course? Can you explain what qualifications or accreditations it gives you, in place of real world experience? Where does the OP talk about “close calls”? This is NOT about how bad you are, it’s about how another person drives. You cannot simply transplant what you want to do and what you enjoyed and assume that it will work for everyone.

saleem
    Free Member

The other half did her IAM course last year with her brother and dad, her dad is a driving instructor and ask if I wanted to do it at the same time, wish I did it now. She is was a good driver before albeit a touch aggressive with the brakes. The course was mainly held by retired cops in Warwick but the did go down the fosse so it might be more or less the same route.

IHN

I think you should look at the basics first and the persons mindset.

Those basics being how to drive a car quickly around a track, how to use the appropriate braking points, ‘apex’ a corner and control a front/rear/four-wheel skid? Yep, they’re the basics needed for a nervous driver to be safe on the road, absolutely.

On

another

planet…

chewkw
    Free Member

It will take time for her to learn gear shifting if she does not know it now.

An option to get rid of one headache is to get a car with automatic gear for her then re-learn the rest.

alfabus
    Free Member

When I said ‘funny gear selection’, I meant being in an inappropriate gear, rather than not knowing how to change gear.

For example, she will pull away from stopped and immediately change into 2nd, now doing about 2 miles an hour, dropping the revs to almost nothing and rumbling along. As soon as the revs start to recover (to about 1500rpm), she’ll dump it into 3rd and lose all the power again – this in a diesel; so it copes, but doesn’t love it. It led to her stalling it pulling across a road (turning right) this morning.

When I questioned it, she said that was what her driving instructor had told her to do. She’s been driving for 9 years, and I don’t remember her doing that before, it seems to be a new habit.

Dave

nbt

I’d reiterate the suggestion to look for your local IAM group then – they address issues such as when to change gear as well as road position, and a course lasting several weeks will probably be cheaper than a half day on a track.

hora
    Free Member

(Shrugs shoulders), I found that overstepping the mark and the experience of learning from it opens up and gives you such a good understanding of a car/your interaction with it.

Why does she have to undertake a IAM? Simple few refresher lessons with a professional Driving Instructor followed by a track course would be fine.

She could also just be very stressed at the moment…

chewkw
    Free Member

alfabus – Member

When I said ‘funny gear selection’, I meant being in an inappropriate gear, rather than not knowing how to change gear.

Once that becomes a habit it will be very difficult to change (my friend’s mum was the opposite, she never changed gear when needed). As suggested she might be better off with an automatic gear for long term safety and to get her to concentrate on the road rather than gear shifting.

Edric64
    Free Member

If the ops missus is that bad how did she pass in the first place? or is she really old and doddery?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

I’m an IAM Observer for Bath Group.

The IAM Skill for Life course costs £139 and she would get as much instruction and practice as she’d need to get her up to test standard (My average is 12 drives of about 2 hrs each over a maximum 6 month period). Plus the book, the chance to attend classroom sessions looking at the theory / meet other drivers in the same boat etc.

The IAM is such incredible value because it is run as a charity, by volunteers who give up their time because we want to improve driving standards.

Contrary to what’s been said we take people of all standards. That often includes people who drive like your wife does. Her faults are common and easy to address. Talk to her rather than buy it as a ‘surprise’ but you might be surprised how quickly everyone becomes receptive to what we teach.

Doing it as a couple is also a really good idea. Not as a ‘competition’ but again since you’ll be able to encourage and support eachother.

Your local group:

http://www.glosiam.org/

cr500dom
    Free Member

Once you take away the worry of what a car is going to do, its no longer relevant on the day to day drive.
    This in turn frees up the brains ability to process the road hazard information being presented, rather than worring about “What is the car going to do in this situation”

Trackdays, skidpans etc are useful for a lot more than just “Going Fast”
    Its also “Fun” which is easier to “Sell” rather than “Your driving scares me – you need some more tuition”

I`m a believer in both the Vehicle dynamics approach, and the roadcraft stuff as well, Having done both, especially on a motorcycle, the roadcraft is easier to concentrate on when you have more confidence in the behavior of the vehicle.
    You stop worrying about have I got grip/is the bike going to slide/stop/turn etc and just relax into reading the road

alfabus
    Free Member

If the ops missus is that bad how did she pass in the first place? or is she really old and doddery?

Haha, she is 28. She’s really not that bad, just a bit lacking in confidence which means she hesitates at the crucial moments, so rather than making her intentions clear to other road users she gets herself into dodgy situations. She also has some bad habits, like the gear changing thing.

AnalogueAndy sounds like he’s making the most sense. I’ll talk to her tonight and see what she’d fancy doing. I am a bit hesitant to send her back to a normal driving instructor who will make her potter about at 5mph in a fiesta with her hands at 10 to 2 – the IAM stuff sounds much more like what she needs.

Thanks all, some very amusing arguments 🙂
    Dave

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Skid pans… track days… seriously?

No experience with IAM because I live locally and my group was less than enthusiastic, which is why I went down the RoSPA route. Both are similar, so check both out and ask for a free driving assessment (IAM certainly do this, RoSPA might cost £5).

Then you can choose on the instructor as the course is largely the same. RoSPA you have to re-test every 3 years and they have a 3 tier pass standard rather than pass/fail that IAM do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Advanced driving course’ is closed to new replies.