Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)
  • Ads – new complaint
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

So the ad thing happens, we bitch, we moan and the world still turns.

But on an iPad at least the full pagers are a pain in the arse, more so because when I hit the close button it ‘hits’ the ad behind, opening a second window. Can this be fixed?

Oh and the supposed once a day thing isn’t working, Maserati four times already today. Quite where they get their targeting info from is beyond me.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just buy a Maserati and a bling watch.

SaxonRider

What ads?

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, what ads?

EDIT 🙄 The ads on this site in particular are completely ridiculous. They’re just so horribly processor / bandwidth intensive as well as visually intrusive. If I did abdlock (Sic 😉 ) them, I’d feel completely comfortable with that.

Javascript is disabled on my iPad so I don’t get the popups at least.

CountZero

That Maserati ad can obscure my pad screen three times in as many minutes, I’ll open the forum, the ad swamps the screen, I’ll close it then have to close the advert underneath the close button, click on a thread, get the ad again, have to close the ad underneath, scan through the thread, return to main screen and click on another thread, get ad, repeat ad nauseum.
    It really is a sodding pain in the ass, and makes coming onto the forum a bloody misery, all because some ignorant jackass of a designer doesn’t know or care about doing proper coding.
    I refuse to pay to use the forum just because of one shitty advert, no other advert on here causes me any issues at all, they’re relatively discrete, and stay where they’re supposed to be, but an ad that renders a forum unusable until the ad is closed, an action that then causes an advert hidden underneath it to open, is a truly crappy bit of design, and fundamentally self-defeating; if I was in the market for a Maserati, then I’d avoid one just out of bloody-minded spite.
    And breathe.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I wonder if anyone on this forum owns a Maserati, let alone was induced into buying one because of that ad…

chewkw
    Free Member

Nothing happens here … 😆

Rich
    Free Member

I get around 17 tracking cookies from this site too, according to SuperAntiSpyware.

Atomizer

I’m logged in as a premier user and still getting at least two Maserati adverts every time. Same issue as CountZero.

rickmeister

Maserati have been complaining their site is overrun with ads and pop ups pushing big hitters on Fatbikes…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

No
    One
    Is
    Listening
    To
    You

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If the ads are supposed to generate revenue, that’s why I tolerate them. They don’t annoy me at all.
    If they make the site hard to use, or worse, while STILL generating revenue, that does annoy me.

I suspect that’s what others are thinking.

Cougar

I’m logged in as a premier user and still getting at least two Maserati adverts every time. Same issue as CountZero.

You do know you can (should be able to) switch them off in your profile settings, yes? If that’s not working then to the best of my knowledge it’s a bug which needs reporting.

botk
    Free Member

whilst i appreciate sites need the ad revenue anything that ruins your enjoyment / use of that site will just drive users away. i frequent a football forum which for a small annual contribution blocks all ads, i’m happy to chip in a few quid as i enjoy and use the site daily and i dont want to be bombarded by ads.

scotroutes

You can support this site and block ads for a few quid a year too. If enough folk did that, there wouldn’t be a need for ads.

botk
    Free Member

new to the site, so how do you contribute?

scotroutes

Click the Premier tab above. £15 pa gets rid of the ads and gives you access to the magazine archive.

Cougar

See the “Subscribe” link at the top of the page for full details.

Click the Premier tab above.

The Premier link replaces the Subscribe link for Premier users.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The pop up ads on the iPad that take over your whole screen every time you click on a new topic are a **** pain. I’ve had the premier account before but other than the ad blocking didn’t get any benefit from it as I don’t read the mag or any of the other features. Having to pay just to stop the ads is a piss take when the people who post on here in such great numbers make it so attractive to advertisers but the powers that be on here as well taking the revenue for these ads also expect you to pay not to see them. It just smacks of greed.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Not seen an ad on here in years well since day one of premium really lol

djglover
    Free Member

Maserati one is now popping up several times per session for me on ipad.

Cougar

The pop up ads on the iPad that take over your whole screen every time you click on a new topic are a **** pain.

a) I don’t think they should be doing that. I’d need to check with the Powers That Be though

b) I definitely know they shouldn’t be doing that every page, unless you’re blocking cookies or some such. We’ve been through this at length though on one of the previous advert threads that pop up with a similar regularity to the adverts and I’m damned if I can reproduce the symptoms reliably.

DT78
    Free Member

Maserati one is 4 or 5 times an hour for me this evening. Quite frankly pissing me off.

Cougar

I’ve flagged it up, anyway. Nothing else I can do for now, I don’t have access to the codebase so it’ll have to wait until someone who works for the site can have a look.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

previous advert threads that pop up with a similar regularity to the adverts

Almost like there’s a recurring problem…..

mrsfry
    Free Member

You don’t have to pay £15. You can go the £1.50 route or lurk around the STW office with a bucket and sponge (you get a free cup of tea, if you limp and dribble 😉 )

Cougar

Almost like there’s a recurring problem…..

… for some people, which anyone who can actually do anything about diagnosing it has failed to reproduce.

craigxxl
    Free Member

No cookie blocking or anything else just iPad and safari. Always the ad for a car for people with little dicks.

Cannondaleking, not all of us want to go premium just to avoid being harrassed by adverts. A lesser fee for ad blocking and none the other stuff I would pay for but not full price for little use.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Maserati ad pops up several times per session, and trying to close it hits the ad behind on iPad.

Cougar

No cookie blocking or anything else just iPad and safari.

This does crop up quite often. I’d suggest trying Chrome or something just to compare and contrast, though I’m not sure as it’ll prove much as it still uses WebKit under the hood (Apple don’t allow third-party rendering engines, you have to go through their API). Worth a look though.

A lesser fee for ad blocking and none the other stuff I would pay for but not full price for little use.

It’s something like five pence a day, and you’ve made three thousand, two hundred and thirty nine posts (and eight more which were deleted)!

Anyway, that’s by the by. AFAIK the point isn’t to subscribe to switch off the adverts, the point is to get access to a magazine you theoretically enjoy and to pay something back towards the upkeep of the place. The advert disabling is a Brucie Bonus; if you pay real money then you don’t get taken for advertising revenue on top of that as that wouldn’t be fair.

And incidentally, I have no vested interest in anyone subscribing beyond quite liking the site and wanting it to to be sustainable so I’m not just saying this because I have to promote STW. I’m a volunteer, the Moderators don’t get paid (and anyone who’s been around for long enough will know my feelings on transparency).

bearnecessities

There’s a record of deleted posts?!

Do we all have dossiers? 🙂

bigblackshed

Cougar.

I know this is a thread about the ads, but I’m still having the same problem with logging out. Not once a month, weekly, daily, but every 10-15 minutes. The remember box does sod all. I’ve bookmarked the ad free login page, but still have to enter my username and password.

iPad with the latest software using Safari. There are no settings to alter with regards to cookies, etc. No other forum or signed in to website does this. So it’s purely down to the STW code.

/Rant.

scotroutes

Have you tried a different browser (just to see if the problem is replicated)?

bigblackshed

Yes.

Same results on iMac with Safari, Chrome, Firefox. iPad and iPhone. Also on Nexus with Chrome.

iPad the worst, others similar but less often.

At least with the iMac it stores my login details so it’s only an extra few clicks. The iPad is type it all in every time. Even though it has the details stored in passwords. Grit.CX is the same, but other sites remember the login until the cookie expires and then prompts me to sign in again, with the passwords already in the correct boxes.

I’ve got in to the habit of copying any text in the reply box just in case I’m logged out between reading a thread, typing a reply and hitting Send Post.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you tried a different browser (just to see if the problem is replicated)?

It would be good if people do as from an outside observation point most people stay logged in just fine, lots of the shouts come from apple users and there may be something in there that is set/doesn’t like it.

I’m logged out of all devices on chrome about once a month which is about right to make sure it’s still me 😉

For those with ads appearing more often do you have something to block tracking or cookies etc?

And maybe in the law of unintended consequences the folk at Maserati pick up heaps of key words and threads every time they run an ad campaign on here as if people are talking about their car a lot – false positive for a successful campaign.

bigblackshed

Also on Nexus with Chrome.

batfink
    Free Member

I’m still having the same problem with logging out. Not once a month, weekly, daily, but every 10-15 minutes. The remember box does sod all. I’ve bookmarked the ad free login page, but still have to enter my username and password.

yep – and this is why I stopped my subscription – I would get logged-out so frequently that I was being subjected to the ads anyway.

It’s worth noting that its only the sodding Maserati advert that’s particularly problematic. All of that stuff over there > is fine. However, the Maserati pop-up basically make the site virtually unusable on the iPad/iphone for me.

Tempted to re-subscribe just so I can demand a refund…. but that would be childish.

Atomizer

Cougar – checked my profile settings but no option I can see to remove the ads (on iPad).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Click the Premiere Button
    http://singletrackworld.com/premier/account/ or the link then it’s the 2nd Box called Ad Magement

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘Ads – new complaint’ is closed to new replies.