Adobe have screwed me over!

Home Forum Chat Forum Adobe have screwed me over!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Adobe have screwed me over!
  • Kit

I’m grumpy. And being a drama-queen!

Basically, I have a (legit, purchased) copy of CS5.5 and now I have a shiny new SLT-A37 camera, PS no longer supports the camera’s RAW files. The latest update, which supports my camera, is for CS6 only. I therefore have to upgrade to CS6, or buy Lightroom and upgrade it with the new Camera Raw data.

Grrrrr….

So now I need a decent, free, RAW converter. The one that came with the camera is bobbins! Alternatively, I might be being a bit thick and missing something…

Yours,
    Grumps

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

that’s more acronyms than I’m personally comfortable with.

Kit

You’re the IT guy. Man up!

butcher

No longer supports it? Surely they never did if that’s the case?

Think you can upgrade reasonably cheaply though, can’t you.

MrSmith

So let me get this right. a new camera doesn’t work with old software and that software is not made by the camera manufacturer?

Kit

Sorry, you’re right: what I meant is that CS5.5 doesn’t support the new camera. And the upgrade is around £100, about half what I paid for my student licence.

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

You’re the IT guy

*sobs*

Can’t you get something through uni? I can get you MS Office for 8.95 if that’s any good?

stuartie_c

I feel your pain, being in the same position (though my copy of CS3 is of more dubious provenance…)

Download the 30-day free trial of Lightroom 4.2 and have a play around with it – it’s so good, I’m actually going to pay out some of my Scottish pounds for it.

Sony RAW software is, for all intents and purposes, unusable.

stuartie_c

£55 with education discount.

Premier Icon somouk
    Subscriber

They have to make money somehow, if they kept releasing updates to older software for free no one would ever upgrade.

If the software is what you need then buy it… Then feel good you may have paid for an hour or two development to make it even better for the next upgrade.

Kit

For lightroom? Yeah I saw that, but it bugs me immensely that they simply can’t update the existing software. Ah well…might have to dip into my research money (again) to get it 🙂

So you’re angry with Adobe for releasing a new software version because you have the old version… and it doesn’t support your camera. Put them in jail and THROW AWAY THE KEY lol.

£100 really isn’t that bad to be up to date on your software if you use them regularly anyway dude 🙂

There are lots of free RAW convertors out there that are industry standard. Have you been using image capture previously?

nwallace

They also hid TWAIN support away in an optional plug in with Elements 11, which is an absolute git as Canon’s WIA driver is utter **** and while supporting basic scanning functions doesn’t in any way shape or form support Film scanning. You’d think they would speak to the manufacturers of imaging devices about what they are doing before removing features like TWAIN, especially since WIA is only meant as a basic interface.

Kit

When you’re a filthy, grotty student then £100 is a significant outlay! Particularly after purchasing a shiny new toy. Maybe I should be pissed at Sony instead? Or with the world at large for being *so* unfair?

ormondroyd

Does GIMP support it?

CountZero

How about the new version of Pixelmator? That supports RAW, and CMYK now.

When you’re a filthy, grotty student then £100 is a significant outlay! Particularly after purchasing a shiny new toy. Maybe I should be pissed at Sony instead? Or with the world at large for being *so* unfair?

When you can afford a £450 camera you aren’t *that* strapped for cash. But I don’t mean to say that being a student is by any means easy these days. I know from personal experience.

jmason

are you using a pc or a mac ?

zokes

I’m sure Adobe used to do a free RAW –> DNG converter. I used to use this to get my Cannon 5D2 files into LR2 and it seemed to work. It was just an annoying extra step in the workflow.

But really, 100 squid is nothing in terms of cost for the software. Either that or you can now lease CS6 for about 20 quid / month

Tijuana Taxi

As said above, convert to DNG and use ACR in your current PS software Converter

Not a bad idea anyway, DNG will be future proof and saves in one file doing away with the sidecar

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Adobe have screwed me over!’ is closed to new replies.