Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Adnams Ghost Ship…. Rather moreish.
  • Premier Icon alpin

Have discovered a new beer on this fair isle…. Ghost Ship. Have sunk quite a few in the last few days. Think I might buy a few of those mini 5l kegs and take them back to Germany next week.

On another note, has the recipe for Doom Bar changed recently? Gone right off it.

But Wibblers IPA still tastes just as good as I remember it being.

Premier Icon Drac

Ghost Ship is quite pleasant. Doombar has always been a generic safe beer.

Premier Icon frankconway

Adnams always had a good range of beers.
    Timothy Taylor’s Landlord, Abbeydale Moonshine, Marston’s Pedigree are consistently good; Landlord & Pedi are widely available; don’t know about Moonshine but if you’re anywhere near Sheffield you should find it.
    From the Sheffield area – most of the Thornbridge beers are good – I particularly enjoy Jaipur; selection of their bottled offerings should be available from any self-respecting beer shop.
    Anyway, happy drinking – but not to excess 😉

Premier Icon jca
    Free Member

I tend to struggle after cracking open the third of the evening…

keg...

Premier Icon alpin

Being from Essex there’s always been plenty of Adnams about. Always like Broadside and Southwold.

jca…. That’s what I’m talking about!

Premier Icon greenskin

Top ale. Good choice.

Premier Icon athgray
    Free Member

alpin

Have discovered a new beer on this fair isle…. Ghost Ship. Have sunk quite a few in the last few days. Think I might buy a few of those mini 5l kegs and take them back to Germany next week.

Take as much Adnams as you like. Can you ship back shperior beer like Paulaner or Franziskaner Weissbeir in the opposite direction please? I can get these here but they are not the cheapest.

My mate used to travel regularly to visit Munich and would come back with a 20 bottle crate of one of the above for about £1 per bottle. The crates were great as they could be split in half with an individual handle. I love German technology.

Premier Icon alpin

Next time I’m back… 😁

Franziskaner is about 1€ a bottle including the 8c deposit on the bottle. Bargain, eh?!

Oh, and 4€ deposit on a crate.

No self respecting Bavarian drinks Paulaner…. 😂

Premier Icon athgray
    Free Member

No self respecting Bavarian drinks Paulaner…

Interesting to hear. Crates from Germany are amazing though. I am surprised you thing Ghostship is better or comparable to what is available there.

Premier Icon Sandwich

No self respecting Bavarian drinks Paulaner

They do have embassies in most major German cities and are a ‘safe’ choice.

Premier Icon Ming the Merciless

mmmmm Broadside

Premier Icon Spin
    Free Member

I am surprised you thing Ghostship is better or comparable to what is available there.

Very different styles of beer though.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer

Ghost ship’s a good choice, but the mini keg I brought back to DE didn’t have quite the same flavour as those I bought on tap.

It’s not comparable in any way to German beer, which is totally different.  But in Germany, if you go to the beer aisle, 95% of what you see there will all bee the same. It’s literally an aisle full of Pauaner, Erdinger, and all those german beers you see on a single shelf in Tesco’s, plus then several shelves full of nearly identical beer from your 2-3 local breweries. 70% will be Pils, 20% will be Hefeweizen, and 10% (max) will be other stuff plus the odd spurious import (1 single brew dog brew, 1 Leffe, etc.)

It’s nice to be able to drink a stout or a pale ale or something different for a change. Helps with the Untappd scores too.

Still €0.95 for a beer – can’t argue with that bit.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

used to be on tap in our local, now under new management so not any more 🙁

shall miss this on rides

Premier Icon wait4me
    Free Member

Recommend the Adnams brewery tour if you’re ever in Southwold. They don’t have to sell too hard to see you leave with a few crates..

Premier Icon CountZero

There are so many breweries all over the UK, with so many different styles, it’s becoming a lifetimes work to try to sample them all! There are two on the industrial estate in Westbury where I work, and often the air is full of a malty goodness if the wind’s in the right direction, my best mates nephew has set up a brewery in Bradford-on-Avon, there’s Moles in Melksham, Bath has Bath Ales and Abbey Ales, theres Flying Monk in Hullavington, they own a pub in the centre of Chippenham, there’s a bunch in and around Bristol, Stroud, Gloucester, Salisbury…
    Truly spoilt for choice, and my regular pub has three or four different beers on tap at any one time, and they’re constantly changing for new beers.

Premier Icon Kuco

I use to be partial to Adnams Gunhill till they stopped doing it.

Premier Icon jsync

For those wanting some cheap German beer, just ordered a couple for myself and a few others to get free postage too.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/german-craft-beer-pack

Premier Icon cb200
    Free Member

OP re.Doombar, the bottled stuff has been brewed up in Burton on Trent for the last five years or so. The cask stuff is still brewed at Sharp’s in Cornwall.

Premier Icon alpin

For those wanting some cheap German beer, just ordered a couple for myself and a few others to get free postage too.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/german-craft-beer-pack

Löwenbräu is the worst of Munich’s beers. Headache inducing. Vile. The only time you can drink it is at the Oktoberfest as it’s not the standard brew.

A mate of ours receives a crate a month from his b-in-l who works at the brewery as a driver. Even he has trouble giving it away….

I would take a Paulaner over Löwenbräu any day of the week, month, year….

It has been known that someone has reserved a table at a restaurant, we’ve turned up, seen that the restaurant serves Löwenbräu and have phoned up from outside the restaurant and told those who made the reservation that we’ll be waiting for them in the Augustiner or Tegernseer bar down the road. 😁

Premier Icon jsync

Löwenbräu is the worst of Munich’s beers. Headache inducing. Vile. The only time you can drink it is at the Oktoberfest as it’s not the standard brew.

That’s a shame, have only had the Oktoberfest one. On the plus side I bulked up the order with Kassel triple 👍

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg

Any beer available in big supermarkets in big cans isn’t worth drinking

#beersnob

Buy your beer from the brewery or a pub. It’s like buying bike parts from CRC and killing the LBS

Premier Icon metalheart

From that Beerhawk site:

Schneider Weiss Original (Tap 7)
    Augustiner Helles (label reads Lagerbier Hell…. 🤪)
    Jever

I’ll take a crate of each thanks very much…

Hmm, I’m down in Glasgow next month, iirc you can usually pick them up somewhere thereabouts…

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

plus then several shelves full of nearly identical beer from your 2-3 local breweries. 70% will be Pils, 20% will be Hefeweizen, and 10% (max) will be other stuff plus the odd spurious import (1 single brew dog brew, 1 Leffe, etc.)

You’re definitely going to the wrong Getränkemarkt.

Mmmm nice bit of Krugbrau.

Premier Icon garage-dweller

It’s very good. The alco free version isn’t bad either. Bit of a different taste.

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m off to my local shortly where I normally drink the Sharps Atlantic but today I shall try a Ghost Ship. It better be good OP.

Premier Icon niksnr
    Free Member

Quite like the Sharps Atlantic. Used to be a Doom Bar fan but would much rather drink Atlantic now.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Is Broadside the really sweet tasting one? I love that! 🙂

Premier Icon northernsoul

Gentlemen prefer blondes – specifically Saltaire Blonde (Saltaire brewery), Mary Jane (Ilkley) and Oliver’s Light Ale (Coniston). The latter is particularly good in the Black Bull after a ride. 🙂

Premier Icon zippykona

My local does Neck Oil IPA. That is also very nice

Premier Icon alpin

Had Neck Oil down in Brighton last week. Only one pint, mind… Two pints set me back £12.30…..!

Premier Icon alpin

Augustiner is the beer against which every other Munich/Upper Bavaria is measured.

Premier Icon tomparkin
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Ghost Ship for situations where you’re buying ale in cans (e.g. camping). Most ales are terrible from a can, at least in my opinion, while Ghost Ship mysteriously holds up very well.

At some point I’ll find some on tap somewhere, realise the tins are rubbish in comparison, and totally ruin it for myself 🙂

Premier Icon senor j

I call it ghost fart as it gives me the wind. Same with doombar tbh.
    🙂

Premier Icon pictonroad

Ghost Ship is a great ale and goes very well in cans. Don’t bother with the kegs. Big Tesco do eight cans for £9. Substantially cheaper than the bulk kegs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

if you have easy access to an Adnams shop the kegs are always heavily discounted (half price) after christmas.

Premier Icon alpin

🤔 How much of a discount? Enough of a discount to justify a detour?

Nearest is Saffron Walden, 45 mins away.

It’s either that or Tesco @£13 for a Keg….

Premier Icon B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No self respecting Bavarian drinks Paulaner

I’ve always found Paulaner to be a bit er…..lighter than other weissebier. went to Lake Garda a few years ago and it was the cheapest German beer in the local Co-op, which kind of made me conclude it was most likely supermarket stuff in Germany. Anyhow, I’m more into Dunkel and Weihenstephner do a great Dunkel IMO. if you can find it in the UK, try it. Also tried the original Berliner Weisse and thought WTF, then was told in Germany (Berlin) you mix it with a syrup, is this correct?

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

depends on the shop, they were flogging them off for a tenner @ the harleston shop last year

Premier Icon alpin

I’ve always found Paulaner to be a bit er…..lighter than other weissebier. went to Lake Garda a few years ago and it was the cheapest German beer in the local Co-op, which kind of made me conclude it was most likely supermarket stuff in Germany.

The Weißbier is passable. The Helles is a no go.

In fact, in all of my ramblings I’m referring to Helles.

As far as Weißbier goes, Weihenstephan is bloody good. Add Schneider Weisse to your list of must buy/try… Franziskaner is good. Paulaner, too. I’ll take that over a Helles if they are the only two options.

Augustiner and Tegernseer are THE Helles Bier and the Dunkel offerings are also some of the best in town.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.