Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Admins – back/forward navigate, whats wrong with this website?
  • Holyzeus
    Free Member

Tom – Administrator

I am not aware of any recent problems. Are you having a long-standing issue? Is this any browser in particular? I know some browsers have some design problems with back buttons. I would also suggest your mouse button software may be an issue if you are using it for browsing.

It often helps to clear your cache and close your browser. Please post if you can narrow down the problem, or if you have details you can email me

I’ve awoken Admin with a short informal email…..

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I don’t think the fix worked, still fubared.

Pembo
    Free Member

I did a java update yesterday and the back button has started playing up in Chrome. C’mon guys sort it out.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Hmmm, don’t want to tempt fate, but think it’s OK for me now.

jp-t853

Same issues on Firefox 15.0.1 today

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Hmm, on my main PC now (on laptop earlier), it’s misbehaving again. Both PCs running XP, FireFox 13.0.1 on laptop, 15.0.1 here.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Firefox 16.0, still problematic.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Same back button problem here.
    Using chrome.

manton69

Same issues here on IE8 at work and Firefox at home on the Mac

M1llh0use
    Free Member

still farked for IE9.

glenh
    Free Member

Back behaviour intermittently farked in chrome on osx…..

tyke
    Free Member

Same problem here on Chrome. If I look at the browser back button there are multiple entries for the same page. See screenshot:

So when you press back it goes through the repeated entries until it manages to get back to a different page. The full history page only shows one entry against a page. So it would seem to be a problem with what’s being written to or stored in the logic that controls the browser navigation button.

donald
    Free Member

I’ve sent another email to the admins.

Mark

Thanks everyone, and sorry if you are having trouble navigating. We’ve not been ignoring the problem. We now have a possible solution that involves making changes to the ad system. That’s going to take us a few days to put into place but hopefully we will have it sorted very soon.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I’ve not had a problem for a couple days

druidh
    Free Member

I’m still amazed that so many people use the Back function.

GrahamS

Likewise druidh.

spooky_b329

The issue I have is each time I click back, it incrementally jumps back up the thread I’ve been reading before eventually going back to the index. Win 7 and Chrome. I also noticed yesterday that Chrome got very sluggish when singletrack was open, there would take several seconds to respond to the scroll wheel.

yetidave
    Free Member

sorry not read through all 3 pages, but just found that this is a problem with one of the firefox plugins/addons. Start firefox in safe mode and its fine. Don’t think its a website issue more like software problem somewhere.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…this is a problem with one of the firefox plugins/addons.

Happening on several other browsers too.

Gordy
    Free Member

I’m still amazed that so many people use the Back function.

Why’s that? It’s not very amazing.

GrahamS

Why’s that? It’s not very amazing.

Just seems like a painfully slow way to browse when there are much faster easier ways.
    (it should still work though!)

Gordy
    Free Member

Well, personally, I’m using a mouse gesture which is barely even a flick of the wrist. The back function being mangled (seemingly intermittently) is the issue, not the actual button in the browser UI.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

going then grham do tell, I read a thread want to get back to the fourm index, back to the same place (so no scrolling down again) I use the back button, if I click fourm button again, I have to scroll up the page to get to it, click then scroll down the page to where I was.

So please tell, I love to learn new tricks.

scuzz
    Free Member

Just seems like a painfully slow way to browse when there are much faster easier ways.
    (it should still work though!)

Do you have to middle click your thread-tabs to close them? Or do you leave them open and ctrl+tab between a thread and the index? Either action requires more effort than a mouse-mounted back button.
    But then again, I guess you require three presses of ‘Back’ to return to the index, seeing as you post everywhere 😉
    O NO HE DI’ANT

GrahamS

So please tell, I love to learn new tricks.

Kind of outlined above already, but simply use the middle button (or Control+Click) to open threads in a new tab.

When you’ve read the thread just close the tab (middle click on tab) and you’re back at the forum index.

A simple comparison: You read the forum index and see two threads of interest a 3 page one and a 4 page one.

Pressing Back method (when it actually works):
    Click first thread (wait for it to load)
    Click Next button (to go to page 2)
    Click Next button (to go to page 3)
    Click Back (to go back to page 3 before your reply)
    Click Back (to go to page 2)
    Click Back (to go to page 1)
    Click Back to go to Forum index
    Click second thread (wait for it to load)
    Click Next button (to go to page 4)
    Click Back (to go back to page 4 before your reply)
    Click Back (to go to page 3)
    Click Back (to go to page 2)
    Click Back (to go to page 1)
    Click Back to go to Forum index

= 18 clicks

Using Tabs method
    Middle click first thread (opens tab in background)
    Shift+Middle click second thread (open tab in foreground)
    Close tab
    Read second thread (already loaded)
    Click Next button (to go to page 4)
    Close tab
    You’re back at the index.

= 12 clicks and less time waiting for pages to load

Conclusion
    Middle-clicking is at least 50% more efficient.

Skive smarter, not harder. 😀

Gordy
    Free Member

Not as efficient as only reading the latest page. 😀

GrahamS

Either action requires more effort than a mouse-mounted back button.

Wow.. is your “mouse-mounted back button” that much easier to press than the middle button?? Either way it’s one click – difference is that a Back button may have to pressed multiple times to get back to the index whereas you’ll only ever have to close the tab once.

I guess you require three presses of ‘Back’ to return to the index, seeing as you post everywhere
    O NO HE DI’ANT

OH YES HE DID

What can I say? I’m very bored at work!

scuzz
    Free Member

Wow.. is your “mouse-mounted back button” that much easier to press than the middle button?? Either way it’s one click

The mouse mounted back button doesn’t need me to move the mouse – it works on the active window no matter the location of the cursor, whereas the middle button requires you to move the mouse over the tab.
    You need to take this into account, it’s very important
    🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Thanks Graham, learnt something new!
    Just giving the new tab thing a go, and I find it loads slower than just clicking on the thread, but I try it a bit more and see how I go.
    It also requires to use two hands one for click one for shift! which takes a lot of effort and energy to remove my hand from propping up my head to the keyboard and back. 😯

I use a lap top with no mouse just the built in one. so when just reading/looking it a one handed operation…. 😆

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Admins – back/forward navigate, whats wrong with this website?’ is closed to new replies.