Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Adjustable seatposts & 27.2mm frames
  • TheYeti
    Free Member

There seem to be some engineering issues resulting in adjustable seatposts being readily available in the larger diameters, but only Crank Bros making them in 27.2mm size – and that after a huge R&D period – and the unit is not getting great reviews due to ‘slop and waggle’.

The much-talked-about new Specialized adjustable post is only coming out in 30.9mm diameter.

Back in the day it didn’t matter so much as trails were less demanding and knees were younger and more tolerant to a lower general saddle height.

Nowadays I for one am always changing my seatpost height during rides and have a 27.2mm seatpost – I’d kill for an adjustable post. I’m actually considering a change of frame to deal with this – the ’09 version of my bike has a 30.9mm seat tube.

So what’s the inside track on this? Is anyone else going to come out with a decent 27.2mm diameter adjustable post?

seanoc
    Free Member
    gonefishin
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

Gravity Dropper

TheYeti
    Free Member

Yup, my mistake, there is that one too, but to be honest I wouldn’t put one of those on my bike, I think it’s very ugly. Any other info out there?

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Someone posted on here with a link to a US shop selling 27.2 gas lift adjustable seatposts for $35. Can’t remember the name of the shop or post though, surley worth a go at that price, anyone remember that?

druidh
    Free Member

Was that cheap one the Sette Right (or something like that?)

druidh
    Free Member

TheYeti – Member

Yup, my mistake, there is that one too, but to be honest I wouldn’t put one of those on my bike, I think it’s very ugly. Any other info out there

FYI – getoverit. It’s a bike.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Found it…

TheYeti
    Free Member

TheYeti – Member
    FYI – getoverit. It’s a bike.

Well observed, it is indeed a bike, 10/10. But it’s also a gorgeous piece of engineering and I’m not sticking a butt-ugly Gravity Dropper on it. If you have to ask why not then you wouldn’t understand the answer 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Anybody actually got one of those yet – seems too good to be true!!

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Some of the MBR people say they’re a bit dodgy.. Probably worth a punt though, probably worth fitting some kind of shock boot to it I’d say..

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/Seatpost/sette/ryde-st-850/PRD_418242_141crx.aspx

fingerbike
    Free Member

There will soon be a KS Cobra i900 in 27.2 I remember a thread on here where a few people were putting up info on the soon to be released 27.2 version, just can’t find the thread…

But found this which has more info on the Sette Ryde:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ks-i900-adjustable-seatpost-where-from

TheYeti
    Free Member

Looks good, 665g – hmm

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Man I’d go for one of these, bargain! That postage is steep though.

Brycey
    Free Member

Resurecting an ancient thread here, but anyone any further forward with a decent 27.2mm asjustable post? Wanting one for my Blood for the Mega.

Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

The "decent" seatpost is already available in 27.2

Brycey
    Free Member

Not sure if you're slagging my spelling or making a poor Gravity Dropper themed joke? I thought since the post is about a year old there might be an update on what's "decent" out there?

convert

Pure racing now do the i7 – a 27.2mm version. No idea if it exists in the flesh as is now any good.

igm

I've got the cheapo KS850 – not well made, needs love and attention, plus a little hacksawing of the release lever under the saddle and a piece of old inner tube as a shock boot style addition.

But at £60 it works and I can live with the issues.

psychle
    Free Member

Not sure if you're slagging my spelling or making a poor Gravity Dropper themed joke? I thought since the post is about a year old there might be an update on what's "decent" out there?

It's still the best option out there IMO, in any sizing… I have both a GD and a Spesh Command Post, prefer the GD as it's been faultless in nearly 4 years of use. The CP has been good as well, but time will tell if it has the same longevity as the GD. Plus there are a couple of things with the CP that aren't great, like the propriety cable and the fact the cable inserts below the seat (ie above the drop) means that when you lower your saddle the bend of the cable changes and on my bike this means it sticks out some, which then snags your leg at times, annoying 😡 Though it is a nice bit of kit, these little things bug me 🙄

Brycey
    Free Member

Whats the opinion on non-remote? No front mech so keen not to clutter the bars if it's not strictly necessary.

Northwind

Non-remote is rubbish frankly, you can operate them on the move but not when the going gets rougher and that's exactly when you'll want to shift it anyway. I had a non-remote Gravity Dropper and all it did was mock me- "You have a dropper post but you can't use it without stopping, ha ha ha"

Anyway. Yes Gravity Droppers are ugly but they're also the lightest and most reliable dropper seatpost out there. Reliability being the main thing, so many of these are just not fit for purpose but the GD is dependable, and very easily serviced if it needs it.

rhys
    Free Member

Just to add my two penneth.I wanted an adj seatpost for the mega as others have mentioned.

E mailed the manuacturers of the KSi7

Dear Rhys:
    I7 with od: 27.2mm will be available around in July in UK , pls contact our UK distributor as below:

Company Name: Pure Racing

Tel: 44-0845-475-5075

e-mail: pure@pure-race.com

so not in time for the Mega

But I then e mailed Gravity dropper and asked about their new i beam head and guess what? Its on its way to me now! Hope I've not jinxed it!!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/gravity-dropper-turbo-preview-2010.html

scaredypants

the rase one is available as 27.2 I think

el_boufador

GD here. It's simple, ace, and I don't think it's been bettered yet!

grumm
    Free Member

lol at buying a less reliable and heavier seatpost because of the way the GD looks. 🙄

0range5

I've used GD for 2 and a bit years. They're not too heavy & they're user serviceable. Mine's the standard non-remote. I don't think they look too bad & I've not heard much that's good about the hydro ones.

If you want the bike to look beautiful, whatever you do, don't use it off-road, it might get scratched!

Brycey
    Free Member

Rhys – that looks like the way forward, cheers. Where did you order from?

rhys
    Free Member

Brycey, Gravitydropper themselves
    see http://www.gravitydropper.com

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

does anybody know if you can get a droppable seatpost to fit an orange five or is that too thin

rhys
    Free Member

27.2 as above

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

ok cheers for that

br
    Free Member

Anyone got an I-Beam GD, should I press the 'buy' button?

Lactic
    Free Member

I see all that talk of zombies has raised this thread from the dead.

While it's here however does anyone know if the gap in the market for a 27.2 adjustable post with layback has been filled yet?

iain1775
    Free Member

Pure racing now do the i7 – a 27.2mm version. No idea if it exists in the flesh as is now any good.

18 Bikes in Hope have them in – and reduced as well
    Saw one yesterday in the glass cabinet directly in front of the door, looked a bit ugly with the external reservoir but also looked like a good piece of Engineering so was a bit undecided
    Think it was about £190ish

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've got one of the cheapo FS850 ones. It works.
    I bought it for the Alps, and when I got to the start of a downhill, I'd lower it, then raise it afterwards. Why a remote control is needed is beyond me, TBH.

scoobmw
    Free Member

V smooth to use. Fairly short post so watch out tall riders with small frames. Nae bother for me though.
    Sadly, been leaking oil since it arrived, and is now dropping 1.5" as soon as I sit on it when it's fully raised. Disappointing after only two rides.

18bikes

KS i7 – in stock now, I'm tempted to swap my Gravity dropper, if anyone fancies a s/hand one?!

£200 retail, we've got them on at £180

best get em on the website asap, i reckons!

amedias
    Free Member

I got one of them there KS i7 27.2 jobbies last week

after a few uses impressions are:

1. it's a fugly thing alright….
    2. seems to work very well indeed
    3. took it apart the day i got it just to make sure i knew how, seems easy to service and pretty simple
    4. heavy, but not overly so

will report back in 3 months after it's had a thrashing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Adjustable seatposts & 27.2mm frames’ is closed to new replies.