adhesive experts, what to use?

• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by  jonba.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • adhesive experts, what to use?
  • meeeee

i want to convert a gps mount so it’ll fit a garmin mount.

This means i need to attach the metal plate on this:

to the flat side of this (it will be flat once i grind the old style garmin 705 mount from the side you cant see)

As it’ll be going on the mountain bike and subject to vibrations, would a more flexible adhesive than epoxy resin be better?

Or can you get flexible epoxy resins?

Any reccommendations?

I’ll probably use a lanyard with it as well in case of failure.

globalti

I’d be inclined to try silicon bathroom sealant; you can get it clear. I don’t think Araldite will stick for long.

Or just buy a paper map and enjoy no batteries, no mounts to break, and a wide angle view of the entire countryside.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

How heavy is it? With good surface prep I can’t imagine that a decent 2-part epoxy would struggle.

Mikkel

screws?
    is the mount thick enough that you can drill and put threads in it?

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

I fitted one of those to a mobile phone. I used rivets. Cut off the old style mount as you’ve suggested and then drilled holes though the mobile case into the adapter and then used rivets to hold it together. Worked perfectly. Better than adhesive IMO.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Epoxy.

I’ve orderd some spare cases for my smartphone to do just what you’re planning so I can have trainerroad on the TV screen and spotifi on my phone.

meeeee

weight is only 100g, and found some flexible epoxy on amazon so might try that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WATER-EPOXY-FLEXIBLE-BONDS-UNDERWATER/dp/B002KNNSRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439543729&sr=8-1&keywords=flexible+epoxy

Rivets is also good idea. Not got the unit in front of me yet as just got it off ebay so not sure if theres enough room for them yet though.

If the plastic garmin adapter is large enough might actually be able to remove the metal plate and screw it into the existing holes

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

As you’re all here I wonder what I might use to repair a pair of cheap shoes which have split across the sole. I’ve tried the glues I have to hand to no effect, so it would need to be strong and flexible.

globalti

There’s no glue that will repair a split plastic sole. Stop being tight and buy some new ones.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Most epoxies have a degree of flexibility- not so’s you can feel it but enough to avoid being brittle and excessively vibration-fatiguey. I’d rather have some metal in there, rivets or teeny bolts but I reckon proper epoxy (not fast setting) would be more than up for it- nice big area, key it in well to reduce the tear issues…

craigxxl

Try 3M sticky pads like these. Never had any of them come without a lot of force and when they do seperate there is no damage.

With anything like this preparation is key making sure both surfaces are clean of dirt and grease. IPA or electrical contact cleaner to ensure you have clean surfaces.

@ohnohesback, Shoe Goo. I use it on a pair of 5 year old Adidas Kanadia TR3’s that I refuse to let die with any degree of dignity.

ShooGoo seconded.

For the OP, Sikaflex, Skixall or a similar polyurethane adhesive. They glue vehicles together with the stuff.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Haven’t tried Shoe Goo. I have tried Freesole and it’s great.

jonba

For ease I’d go with epoxy/amine. Should be more than string enough. Roughening the surfaces will help as adhesion to either substrate will probably be the weakest point. Personally I’d look at trying to rivet it as the metal plate looks removable. Could glue as well for a very permanent solution.

I don’t see why you’d want something flexible. Not sure that would help with vibration. Failure will most likely occur when attaching removing the device.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘adhesive experts, what to use?’ is closed to new replies.