Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Address book database
  • paul4stones

We have our addresses on a database which is actually a works program (from 1998 possibly!). It’s the only thing we use a database for and we only use it at Christmas for printing labels. Is there a more modern version that we can use on the laptop? We have Office but it only seems to have Word, Excel, One Note and Publisher.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Cougar

If it’s Works 6 or later you can open them directly in Excel (just change the view to “all files.” If it’s older than that you’ll need a converter.

paul4stones

Too old I think. Can you still filter things in excel?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    miketually
    Free Member

Can you still filter things in excel?

Yes.

paul4stones

Ok. Recommend a converter? 🙂

kcal

Claris Works? blimey!

deadkenny
    Free Member

These days such stuff is usually tied up with a mail system and you keep addresses for each contact if the system offers a contact/address book. If it’s an online system like Outlook/Google Mail, it can sync up between devices also.

Getting from those contact lists to a mail merge for printing labels though, not sure what the best way is. I guess you can just export to a contacts file (there are various formats) and import into Word or whatever.

Cougar

I’ve half a memory Microsoft do – or did – their own converter tool. Have a google? Can’t recommend any, sorry, it’s been a while!

ski99

if you can get it into Excel, then MS Publisher should take care of the labels.

paul4stones

Works 4.0 from 1997 8)

I’ll be back!

seosamh77
    Free Member

see if you can export it as a .csv, ie a comma or tab delimited text file. If you can you should be able import that into something else. Excel will open csv’s.

paul4stones

Yes, I can do tab and text and managed to make that into something in Excel. How can I make labels then?

paul4stones

Thanks folks I’ve sorted it. It’s always a right faff every year and I wonder if it’s worth it but hopefully should be a bit slicker from now on 🙂

Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Address book database’ is closed to new replies.