Adding top up sealant to tyres = adding weight?

Home Forum Bike Forum Adding top up sealant to tyres = adding weight?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Adding top up sealant to tyres = adding weight?
  • oldnpastit

Some of the original gloop will have evaporated (which is why it’s now a sticky ball rather than a liquid). So it won’t weigh as much. I couldn’t tell you by how much though.

I guess you could retrieve the spiky ball thing. I’ve not noticed it especially attracting more goo. Thorns seem to attract it though.

khani

Most of the weight is water, which drys out, so the residue left weighs next to nothing, although I have no scientific evidence to support it…
    I’ve never bothered about my spikey balls…

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

there are spikey balls???

Oh now I just want to look inside my tyres!

smaca

there are spikey balls???

Yes and if you don’t keep topping up with Stan’s it will puncture your tyre from the inside out 😯

( 😛 )

So how do you know when it’s time to top up? Just when you can no longer hear the stuff sloshing around?

dobo

Just something that I’ve wondered about:

I add 60ml (.’. ~60g) of sealant to my tyres (Hans Dampf = 750g claimed). Total 810g
    After a few months the sealant disappears. I top up with another 60g. What’s the total weight of my tyre + sealant now?

Also: If the sealant has all dried up into that spiky ball thing, should I retrieve the ball before topping up the tyre? Does it act like a snowball, causing more of the fresh goo to stick to it?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Adding top up sealant to tyres = adding weight?’ is closed to new replies.