Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Adding STI shifters to 2011 Kona Sutra
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

I’d like to add STI shifters to 2011 Kona Sutra as I’ve never got on with the bar end shifters. Is this an easy job to do, I only need a basic STI shifter, nothing to highspec. XT 9 speed mech, Sora Triple, Avid BB7 discs. What STI shifter should a fit that will play nicely with the current setup, I was thinking Sora or Tiagra but really unsure with it comes to the road/touring side of things.

Cheers!

geoffj

Check that the BB7s and the front mech are the road variety and any 9 speed STIs should be fine.
    An incompatible front mech can be bodged, but the wrong pull on the BB7s would be less easy to deal with.

Edit: http://2011.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=sutra

It looks as though all is good and it should be a straight swap over.

rogermoore

I didn’t think road shifters and MTB rear mechs were compatible? Or is that just 10 speed?
    I really like the bar-end shifters on mine!
    RM.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

I didn’t think road shifters and MTB rear mechs were compatible? Or is that just 10 speed?

You can use a 9 speed mtb rear mech with 9 (and 10) speed road shifters no problem.

10 speed road and 10 speed mtb stuff doesn’t play well together.

flatpat
    Free Member

My 2005 Kona Sutra came (as stock) with 9 speed 105 STIs/Avid BB7/105 front mech/Deore rear mech. So you’re fine.

Still got them sitting in the shed (never got on with drop bars) if you’re interested.

It’s only the front mech setup that’s different – when I went flat bar, I had to get a road specific (R440) front shifter.

flatpat
    Free Member

Here’s wot it looked like.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Adding STI shifters to 2011 Kona Sutra’ is closed to new replies.