• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Adding chain links – KMC
  • PJay
    Free Member

I recently updated my drivechain and fitted a new KMC 10 speed chain, cutting a couple of links out to get it the correct length.

I’ve since replaced the chainset and nudged the EBB forward a bit and would like to re-add the cut links to the chain; I’d assumed that I could just push the pin back through using my chain tool (I’m sure that I’ve done this before in the past with other brands).

However, the KMC instructions are very clear stating: “Always use KMC Missing Link for chain connecting. Do NOT use or reuse cut pin from the chain.”

I’m assuming therefore that I shouldn’t be [re]joining the chain in this way.

I have a spare Missing Link but the pin in the cut links is still firmly fixed in one of the outer plates; I might be able to push it out with my chain tool.

Do people add links to KMC chains with a pin or does this way, disaster lay?

mattyfez

The pins are kinda rivited in, if you look closely they mushroom slightly at the ends, there’s a bit of a lip that holds them in place.
    When you push a pin out with a chain tool, that lip gets mashed up so it won’t go back in securely.

In short, I wouldn’t bother, if you must, use a second magic link but the regular pins are not designed to be reused.

kerley
    Free Member

I removed and added links a few time to a KMC X9SL (the very lightweight blingy gold one). I have always done this on many different chains as I ride fixed gear so need to when changing gearing.

However the KMC chain snapped after 2 months use when I was 10 miles from home which is the first time I have ever had a chain snap so I would tend to agree with KMC…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJay
    Free Member

Fair enough, the instructions are petty clear too I suppose.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

just use two powerlinks. Simple.

bruneep

what he says ^^ my HT chain been like that for ages

PJay
    Free Member

Yep, that’s KMC’s advice too so I’ll stick to that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Adding chain links – KMC’ is closed to new replies.