Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Adaptors for converting 142×12 rear hubs to Boost 148
  • sheck

Anyone done this?

Really don’t want to have to sell and replace my very nice Acros rear wheel… (even re-hubbing would be a big waste of money as my lovely blades spokes couldn’t be re-used!)

I have seen some kits, both generic and hub specific, but don’t believe anything available for Acros?

Understand I’d need to space the disc over and re-dish, to accommodate a 6mm spacer on the non-drive side

Anyone done anything similar… I realise Acros hubs aren’t common, but would be keen on any feedback?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Check out Wolftooth components, I believe they have an adapter

Boostinator

sheck

They do, but unfortunately not (yet at least) for acros hubs

Would be keen to hear from anyone who’s done it though, as I’m sure something similar could be fashioned, just looking for some generic feedback first?

andyl
    Free Member

Would you really need new spokes? Might be worth running the dimensions you have and with a boost hub through a spoke calc and seeing if there is much difference.

sheck

I’m with you @andyl, but popped into lbs yesterday who felt the best hope was that I might be able to recycle half of them?

At £3ish/spoke, plus £200ish for a similar hub and a wheelbuild a work around would allow me to get an internally routed dropper!

scotroutes

Sell your rear wheel while it still has some value and go Boost.

munrobiker
    Free Member

There are some adaptors on eBay that are a pair of washers and a spacer for the disc. They are about £30 including postage from the US but any engineering firm could make you some.

sheck

Have seen the kits… but wondered whether there is any sort of compromise involved?

Don’t want to build up my best bike with something that feels flawed, but nor do I want to have to replace my excellent current wheel with something that (due to affordability and silly 2nd hand values ) might be worse than I have today

sheck

Any weekday forumites tried any of the bodge solutions?

Bigmantrials

I will be going down the spacer route when my new frame arrives, don’t really see it as an issue, the axle won’t be under any more force than an older 12 x 135mm spacing hub/frame where there was no slot for the axle in the frame.

smogmonster

I looked into similar a while back for my old Enve 29er wheels – it turns out you need the wheel redishing as well, more hassle than I could bother with.

sheck

Wheel re-dish feels easier and cheaper a full hub swap?

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’ve used the boostinator kit on a DT Swiss hub and it was easy enough to dish the wheel, shame they don’t make the kits for more hub types

russyh
    Free Member

Can you not take your current Non-drive side end cap to a local engineering fir and get them to make a replica but slightly longer. Then buy one of the disc spacers off ebay and re-dish your wheel? I purchased a boostinator kit and had my rear re-dished on my XM1501’s no real hassle to be honest. My LBS charged me £5 to re-dish the wheel (took all of 5 minutes)

My converted rear hub is great, The wheels are only 6 months old and I like them so it didnt seem worth the hassle of buying a new boost specific set. Same with my forks, which again were fairly recent set of 36’s. Really happy with the whole setup to be honest and see no need to change short of smashing the rear wheel to bits.

sheck

Thanks Russyh… that’s what i figured, just wanted to hear +ve thoughts from someone who’s done it!

Feels like nothing to lose?

russyh
    Free Member

No, it feel absolutely fine. Happy to share a picture if needs be. The whole setup looks like it was “meant to be” and not cobbled together at all.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Adaptors for converting 142×12 rear hubs to Boost 148’ is closed to new replies.