Ad Spoiling – New Rule: Don't do it. It's very annoying!

Home Forum Classifieds – For Sale Ad Spoiling – New Rule: Don't do it. It's very annoying!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 204 total)
  • Ad Spoiling – New Rule: Don't do it. It's very annoying!
  • Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

The price a seller sets on a sale is entirely up them. Whether the price is too high or not is determined by the willingness of the buyer to actually buy the product. The most annoying thing to see for any seller is another third party, with no interest in the sale, posting that the widget can be bought cheaper elsewhere. If you have no interest in the sale then please refrain from posting comments on the ad. Those that do, may mistakenly believe they are ‘helping’ in some way. We will help them correct that mistake by deleting their posts and sending them a warning. If they repeat then we will ban them.

If you are a seller and this happens to your ad then please report it to us in the usual way via the Report This link on the Spoilers post.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Thank you!
    Been too much of this recently…

cupra

huzzah 🙂

Premier Icon oxym0r0n
    Subscriber

huzzah

+1

PS Cupra – you have watched too much Mike the Knight!

wysiwyg

Good good

jimm

Whilst you’re looking at posts, how about stopping people advertising their ebay auctions – to go into an ‘Ad’ only to find that the item isn’t actually available there and then and the ‘seller’ is only trying to up the price on their auction is also very annoying

bikebouy

“runs around the office clapping and waving hands in the air”

If you have no interest in the sale then please refrain from posting comments on the ad

and this is evident how? Is it not reasonable to assume the respondent has viewed the ad as they are interested in the item, and may be using discounted pricing to haggle with an overoptimistic price? I’ve used this to haggle- if the OP wants to stick to the asking price fine I’ll buy it from CRC etc with a warranty, but I’ve also had sellers accept a lower offer as a result.

Will this active policing the classifieds extend to scammers and fraudsters at any point? I’ve suggested in various “scammer” threads that posters have to have posted X number of posts in other areas before being allowed to use the classifieds, which limits classified use to active forum members, reduces spam and opportunistic cross posters and/or increases total STW use depending on your point of view. I know this is technically possible as it is applied in other forums.

bigyinn

I’ve done this, because I dont like seeing people get screwed. Not that often, but I have done it.
    Not everyone who browses the classifieds knows the going rate of something. Equally sellers need to know if they’re asking too high a price for something that wont sell.

Given the lack of intervention that seems to go on in the classifieds until a torch wielding mob gets whipped up, why the sudden interest in the sellers rights? What about the poor sods who’ve been relieved of their hard earned by trusting someone?

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

I buy stuff from Bike Shops knowing that I can buy it cheaper elsewhere. By reasons for buying are complex and not always governed by the price. If you come in to the shop while I’m handing over my cash to tell me that I could buy it cheaper elsewhere it’s not just the shop keeper that would find you annoying but I would too.

Leave people to make their own decisions on the transactions they are engaging in. You may think you are doing a good deed but we know from the levels of complaints we receive on this subject that you are annoying a lot more people than you think you are helping.

The process of dealing with each case is simple. If we receive a report from the seller about someone spoiling their ad then we can pretty safely assume the person they are reporting has annoyed them somewhat. I’d be very surprised if that ever turns out to be the eventual or even the potential buyer.

This rule will, in the main, be enforced following a report of a user by the seller.

wrecker

Whilst you’re looking at posts, how about stopping people advertising their ebay auctions

+1.
    Sell it on ebay or sell it in the classifieds. Linking ebay ads in the classifieds is just advertising.

Please sir, hora did this to me. You should ban him.

… I still sold it for what I was asking …

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

Linking to ebay ads IS allowed on here. We specifically allow it in the rules.
    But the ebay auction must be within the last 12 hours or we will delete it. We get reports of many that are not within the 12 hour limit and we delete them. If you notice an Ebay ad that has longer than 12 hours to run then report it. We will delete it and warn the poster.

wrecker

Crap rule IMHO.
    Just siding with the seller again.

nealglover

You may think you are doing a good deed but we know from the levels of complaints we receive on this subject that you are annoying a lot more people than you think you are helping.

An unquantifiable statement ?

The complaints are from the sellers I would imagine. Annoyed that they won’t get what they want for their item.

There is no way to know how many people are being helped is there ?

epo-aholic

Personally, it wouldn’t bother me if someone emailed my profile to inform me but posting on the ad is reprehensible! (strong words..lol) 🙂

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

How about redressing the balance a bit by at least putting something in the instructions/advice to sellers that when placing an ad to at least do their homework and price their goods at a fair market rate?

It’s the buyer’s responsibilty to make sure they are paying a fair price, or a price they are happy with. If it worries you, as with so many things in life, don’t buy from strangers you meet on the internet.

Premier Icon iain1775
    Subscriber

The most annoying thing to see for any seller is another third party, with no interest in the sale, posting that the widget can be bought cheaper elsewhere. If you have no interest in the sale then please refrain from posting comments on the ad. Those that do, may mistakenly believe they are ‘helping’ in some way. We will help them correct that mistake by deleting their posts and sending them a warning.

So will I get warned if I post something like –
    ” I would really like to buy this off you but only if you can at least match the £x.xx price on Y website”
    As that’s showing an interest…

STATO

So will I get warned if I post something like –
    ” I would really like to buy this off you but only if you can at least match the £x.xx price on Y website”
    As that’s showing an interest…

Id imagine that would be classed as spoiling, you are essentially telling others that its cheaper elsewhere. What this does tho is spoil the whole classifieds, its now going to be full of reccuring crap at high prices, the seller hoping to gain that extra £10 be wasting hours of their lives repeatedly positng it.

STATO

The other thing that spoils it (and no doubt wont help the seller) is lazy ad’s linking previous ad’s. I saw one the other day that you had to click through 3 previous to get to the item info!! crazy.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I just don’t follow the links.

If seller is too lazy to repost properly, seller CBA and so neither can I.

This is at least as annoying (to buyers) as randoms telling people they are asking too much is to sellers though. Also not entirely clear how you would differentiate a spoiler from a haggler when someone posts a cheeky offer. I can quite see why this is annoying to sellers though.

While on the subject of ‘annoying’ people not marking ‘sold’ things as ‘sold’ …

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

I buy stuff from Bike Shops knowing that I can buy it cheaper elsewhere. By reasons for buying are complex and not always governed by the price.

Yeh, I guess they may include warranty cover, provenance, proximity to the shop if it needs a fix, you’re mates with the vendor etc, none of which would apply in the classifieds really.

Can’t say this “issue” bothers me much either way, but poor arguments make me cross 😉

bigyinn

Can I also point out that items sold here will generally have no warranty, so if someone is punting an item at retail price on here, I’d expect to pay less than retail for that reason alone.

Excellent rule.

jamiesilo

i disagree with this rule.

someone needs to know if they are either taking the piss or simply unrealistic.
    if something i’m selling is on offer for a comparable price somewhere, i’d like to know, (tho would normally do a quick google search before posting)
    i’ve seldom seen it done maliciously, tho i have seen a few folk taking the ‘huh, newcomers ey? always ask too much’ line, generally on full bike sales, which i find a bit of a naff way of saying “i’ve been on here ages, i know what i’m talking about”. unnecessary

if you want to get a price that benefits from peoples’ ignorance, go to ebay.

gravytrain

If people dont like the price then they can still haggle the price, just do what is commonly done on here and send an email!

steel4real

Good effort Mark it should help stop this sort of unecessary carry on – Some munquey
    But at least that had a happy ending 😉

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

The Classifieds Rules have been amended…

Ad Spoilers

Please respect users’ Ads. If you have no intention of buying an item then please refrain from posting comments on the ad. If you have genuine concerns about an ad then report it to the moderators. Posting seemingly helpful comments about an item being cheaper elsewhere often upsets the original poster and spoils their ad. If you genuinely want to help the seller or potential buyer then contact them directly off forum.

If you feel that your ad has been spoiled by a third party then use the ‘Report this’ link on the post in question to alert the moderators. The moderators will then look at the reported post and decide if action needs to be taken. Moderators will not be proactive with this rule. They will only act if a post is reported to them using the ‘Report this’ function.
    If we agree that a post is an Ad Spoiler then we will warn the user, delete their posts and any subsequent replies in order to do our best to return the ad to it’s pre-spoiled state. Repeat offenders risk a ban from the forum.

hora

anotherdeadhero – Its happened to me a few times. It can be genuine potential buyers or it can be folk with zero interest just looking to create negativity ‘for a laugh’. In my case (with you) I was probably interested and like everyone you run a quick google to see how much they are/was before expressing your interest in item with the caveat ‘but I’ve noticed it here’..

One thing that annoys me is someone selling pre-massive hike items (Yen/$ increases) a couple of years later for similar original RRP with no loss to them…pass the love on I say.

i for one think this is an excellent rule.
    ive had this done to me a few times…

its not my job to trawl through the hundreds of sites to find out how much an item could be..

I price it.
    They buy it…

done!

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Woody Cannondale – Member
    Excellent rule.

says a poster with only FS posts in their history.

proflexforever – Member
    i for one think this is an excellent rule.

says another one with 90% FS ads.

So this new rule is unashamedly a seller’s rule rather than a community one is it not?

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Agreed – some of those who don’t use the forum do seem intent on screwing people who do. I don’t like it much.

elPedro666

I’d class selling something for more than it’s available for new as ripping off trusting forum members. Like most I’ll generally do a bit research, but if anyone does spot me about to be ripped off – or indeed accidentally rip off someone else (it happened once and I was grateful for the headsup) – please do let me know!

Daft rule. The classifieds are meant to be a helpful swapshop, not somewhere to take advantage of other members.

bigyinn

Id be interested if the Mods could quantify how many complaints have been made about this. And why its such an issue? No worse than asking for a price match online or at a shop.

druidh

bigyinn wrote:

Id be interested if the Mods could quantify how many complaints have been made about this. And why its such an issue? No worse than asking for a price match online or at a shop.

The upset seemed to be that the folk who were asking for a “price match” weren’t actually interested in the item on sale. However, in the other thread, I likened this to a mate pointing out I was/stopping me from over-paying. I guess your viewpoint depends on whether you see the STW Forum as a community or a marketplace. No prizes for guessing that the folk who restrict their usage to the For Sale section see it as the latter. Meanwhile, the traders and shops operating “under-cover” carry on as normal.

dyl

The only advantage to this rule is to the sellers. Nowt wrong with pointing out when something’s a bargain or when it isn’t. Actually, in the interest of fairness, you should probably ban people from commenting when a price is good as well.

What’s so sacred about “For sale” threads?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 204 total)

The topic ‘Ad Spoiling – New Rule: Don't do it. It's very annoying!’ is closed to new replies.