Actual electric motorbikes on trails

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Actual electric motorbikes on trails
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The other day I encountered some electric motorbikes on the trails, rather than e-bikes. They looked like normal off-road bikes but much smaller, although still rideable by adults – in their 30s in this case. I heard their voices before I heard the bikes, they were that quiet. Motorbikes are a problem in these woods but I found myself far less annoyed – perhaps because they were smaller and hence less of a physical annoyance, and presumably lower power; but probably because they were silent. I found it much harder to object. Ok so I met them on a narrow bit where they were going slowly – I would probably have felt differently if they were churning up mud or exceeding say 20mph. Which they might well have done later on in their ride.

Anyone else encountered these things and been more or less annoyed?

5thElefant

Motorbikes don’t bother me but I can see why some would object to the noise. Electric motorbikes seem to be a sensible solution for all.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Electric motorbikes seem to be a sensible solution for all.

Nah, not in the woods. The powerful ones just roost everything to shit.

Unfortunately Sam Pilgrim is doing a lot with his lately. A Cake bike. Goes about 50mph I think. I loves watching Sams videos, but think he’s defo breaking rule one here… 😐

I ride motorcycles, I love motorcycles,  and can see that these would be ridiculous fun, but I can also see it being a very bad thing for two-wheeled access all round.

submarined

4 pages, 2 bannings, 3 gifs per page

This will not end well for anyone, I’d advise stepping away now.

5thElefant

Nah, not in the woods. The powerful ones just roost everything to shit.

Yeah, I’ve seen those videos. It works the other way too though, a lot of places people ride trails originally cut by motorbikes. So it could mean more trails.

Premier Icon andeh
    Subscriber

There’s a bloke round us with an old Intense Socom with, what looks like, a washing machine motor strapped to the down tube, a rucksack full of batteries and a throttle. Doesn’t really bother me tbf, which is weird as he does cover the trails in tiny moto ruts.

kerley

If riding it where motorbikes are allowed good, if riding where motorbikes not allowed bad

If it is unregistered with no lights, plates etc,. then probably shouldn’t be riding it anywhere other that private land, same as a petrol motocross bike

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon andeh
    Subscriber

That paradox thing is to the Socom motor what flat mount is to a bent fork.

Yeah .et one at Newcastleton. A few weeks ago. Had defo been on the trails and there was surface damage.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

I kinda agree, if you’re going to take a motorbike over Roych Clough in the Peak district, far nicer and less objectionable if it’s one you can’t hear from Jacobs Ladder.

I suspect they’ll catch on quite quickly for that reason (or that market will just buy E-bikes).

Will be interesting to see if MX/SX/Enduro racing remains petrol for very long. If the recreational market for off-road motorbikes starts to buy electric bikes then unlike F1 it makes sense that KTM etc would want them to be visible in racing.

They’re still a nuisance when used on (even cheeky) MTB trails. More objectionable to the landowner and objectionable to the other users.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The main reason for their use in these woods is so that people can’t hear them and call the rozzers.

trumpton

Surely being silent is dangerous if they come the other way on singletrack.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

The main reason for their use in these woods is so that people can’t hear them and call the rozzers.

So, you assume you have Police around your way then..

IMO, an electric motorbike is the solution to a lot of noise problems. I’m hoping by the end of 2020 everyone riding motorbikes has an EV one. I’m also looking towards ICE powered ones being captured by ULEZ…

Anyway, I saw one of those KTM leccy Enduros on Steep bridleways (SDowns, not far from Petersfield) and he was riding it really nicely, even waved. But it’s a bit of a mix up there, there are some Green Lanes and RUPPS (or whatever they’re called these days) so it’s all a bit “is this a Bridleway or a RUPP?”

Doubt he’d get the same reaction from horse riders…

dc1988

I saw one at Woburn a month or so back, it was going pretty fast so didn’t seem very safe. The guy was on his own so I expect if you go at that speed you can’t get stopped or recognised by anyone. I can’t imagine it does the trails any good.

supernova

Motorbikes however they’re powered are going to chew the trails up and leave massive unridable, unwalkable ruts and bogs. Like horses. They can both do one out of the woods as far as I’m concerned.

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

Saw two last spring on Gwydir Mawr (formerly Marin Trail). Not quite silent, you could hear them revving – which was a good thing, as they were riding up the downhill sections.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’ve seen them.

KTM make a electric freeride but at 10k with a battery charge of only 3hrs max wont go far on one never seen electric motorbike off-road have a engine free ride always liked the idea take the number plate of and ride the hills lot of people will not think you are on motorbike may get away with going all sorts of places.

Unfortunately Sam Pilgrim is doing a lot with his lately. A Cake bike. Goes about 50mph I think. I loves watching Sams videos, but think he’s defo breaking rule one here

That video screams arsehole so loudly

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I’ve seen them.

Lucky you.

We don’t have any down this way other than those Navy Blue Bimmers with hidden blue flashing lights that do 150mph on the M27.

Anyone else encountered these things and been more or less annoyed?

Yes.

On the trails in the local woods dressed up like a three man Dougie Lampkin tribute act. Not impressed. Chasing me down a trail, then meeting them coming up another. Roost marks on every corner and at the entrance and exit of trails.

It’s a motorbike, go and ride it somewhere suitable for motorbikes ie not the MTB trails that have been sensitively built over the years by some very dedicated locals.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.