Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Acoustic Guitar for daughters 11th Birthday – where from?
  • freeagent
    Free Member

My Daughter is turning 11 in a couple of weeks and would like an acoustic guitar for her birthday.

She’s fairly musical so i think this might be more than an over-night fad.

Unfortunately i know nothing about guitars or where to buy one from – anyone got any suggestions?

Budget – don’t know – would rather buy new as it is a present – would £100 get her something reasonable?

She’s a fairly standard sized 11 year old girl – should i look at a slightly smaller guitar?

Thanks in advance for any advice – i’ve got no idea where to start…

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d start by asking a music teacher at her school – it’s how we always get our best advice on instruments for our children.

Murray

My daughter’s a large 10 year old and has a 3/4 size. I bought it from the local guitar and violin shop as the old geezer who runs it gives good advice. Her guitar teacher is happy with it.

If you go mail order, in the thread where I was looking for an acoustic for me Yamaha were suggested as being good straight from the box.

gallowayboy

My son was about that age – maybe a year older – and we got him a Freshman renegade, from the local (Halifax) guitar shop.  It served him well through grade 5 and beyond, its been faultless. It is now £150 or so, so a bit above your suggested price range. If you have a music shop nearby that stocks them its worth a play.

I think their customer service backup is good as well.

Harry_the_Spider

My 10 year old has a 3/4 from Rimmer’s. It was about £50 IIRC and is ideal for him.

https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/guitars-c1/acoustic-guitars-c11/3-4-size-t1137

onewheelgood

Don’t know where you are but when I had a similar dilemma I took her to PMT in Birmingham. Her reaction when she saw their guitar wall was great.

They do have lots of acoustic and electro-acoustic guitars too! Staff were helpful. We ended up with a very nice Stagg electro-acoustic. They have branches all over, but not many as big as the Birmingham one.

beefheart
    Free Member

I’ve had a few from gear4music over the years.

Always happy with their service.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye as mentioned 3/4 should do. doubt you want to go mental on price either as she’ll grow out of it and want bigger and better soon enough. I’d just take someone along with you that can play the guitar. They be able to tell you if it’s playable.

Essentially all you are wanting is the cheapest playable guitar that sounds ok.

Can’t give any recommendations beyond that mind sorry.

ji
    Free Member

For a beginner it might be better to go for a nylon strung guitar rather than steel strung as it is easier on the fingers. A cheaper nylon will also generally be better than a similar priced steel strung.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I would say definitely go to a shop, at that kind of money you do get some variation on build, one model “X” guitar might feel a lot nicer that another model “X”. I also agree with seosamh77 to take someone so plays along with you, that’s the best thing you can do. Don’t spend much if you can get away with it until you can get her playing a full size. If she can get away with a full size now however that would be the way to go. Also whilst I do understand about wanting new it’s different with guitars. People spend an awful lot on older guitars and in many ways they can be more special. Also they can be a comparative bargain. I picked up a lovely 2001 Yamaha cpx15a with hard case for £500 about a year ago, condition is pretty much as new and it’s a fully handmade in Japan guitar. The current top cpx model is £1300 and definitely not as nice.

John

davy-g
    Free Member

have you had a shufty on the Argos website?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Go to a good guitar shop which caters for younger players (Promenade Music in Morecambe is brilliant), take her with you and see what they have to suggest.  A great shop like the aforementioned will spend a bit of time with her to get it right 🙂

£100 should get something pretty reasonable.

Smudger666

Where in the country are you?  I’ve got a 3/4 sized guitar for free if you want to collect from fife?

kid tried it for a couple of lessons and didn’t take to it.

freeagent
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks…

@Smudger666
    – I’m in Kent, but thank you for the offer.

We went for a 3/4 sized Fender from Gear4Music £89.

The reviews looked good, and I thought being a Fender it should have some residual value if she doesn’t take to it.

plumber
    Free Member

I thought being a Fender it should have some residual value

– probably not in that range

allfankledup

We use AyrGuitar for all of our guitar and ukelelelele related purchases. Partially because the shop has the best name in the world, partially because we live near Ayr, but mostly because they know what they are talking about.

Find a decent shop – talk to them

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Acoustic Guitar for daughters 11th Birthday – where from?’ is closed to new replies.