Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Acoustic guitar for beginner
  • butcher

I used to play a lot years ago, not so much these days, so have a reasonable idea what to look for, or at least how to determine what’s decent and what’s not when it’s in my hands. I’ve no idea what’s actually on the market these days, and Covid times are not ideal for testing guitars.

Anyway. The other half picked up one of the kids guitars and started learning a few chords. It’s literally a toy and not great for learning, so I suggested getting something secondhand, with the idea that even spending £30 or £40 would get her something infinitely better.

Of course, as soon as you look to buy anything, especially on the broad spectrum of the secondhand market, you begin to fall down the rabbit hole and before you know it you’re looking at new guitars…

A little research suggests Yamaha are king on the budget acoustic ranges. The F310 seems a reasonable, well recommended and perfectly adequate starter kit at a price she’s willing to spend.

Then I look at the FS800 and the glowing reviews and I think maybe I can chip in and get something really quite decent. But is it really that much of an upgrade over the F310? (Specifically looking at the FS rather than the FG because I think she would prefer the smaller body for various reasons).

Looking at 3 options really.
    – Secondhand up to £100. But this is a bit of a minefield without actually trying them.
    – New starter guitar around £100.
    – Or new nice (but very firmly budget still) guitar up to around £250.

Bearing in mind this is for somebody still working on open chords and it may be a fleeting pastime, what would you be looking at, and any specific models?

Also wondering if electro acoustic is worth it, having never actually played one myself. Again, I think the smaller body may suit her.

bazzer
    Free Member

I have had a Yamaha FS730S for about ten years now. It plays really nicely to be honest. Would be perfect for a beginner. So I would say you would not go wrong with a Yamaha.

It sounds “OK” though I think worse since I fitted phosphor bronze strings last time and I am not keen on them. Shame as I bought 3 sets 😀

RustySpanner

Cort make some lovely acoustics.
    A friend bought a smaller bodied Cort electro acoustic for around £200 – it’s excellent and plays like a much more expensive guitar.

I’d avoid secondhand unless you can find a nice, trustworthy shop to deal with.
    If you’re local, Pro Solo in Burnley is a great little shop with a fine selection of budget acoustics, new and secondhand, all set up before sale.

I thought I knew what I was looking for when buying acoustics, but recently got stung at Cash Converters – bought a nice Takamine which turned out to have a dodgy top, not noticable on a quick inspection as the guitar had been deliberately downtuned to hide the issue.
    Once home and left in tune for a while, it became obvious.
    It took a lot of patience and eventual threats of escalation before I managed to get a refund.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN
    simondbarnes

I’ve been a beginner with an electric guitar for over 30 years. I fancied an acoustic, spoke to my local guitar shop and he dropped one of these around for me to try…

https://www.rosetti.co.uk/adam-black-s-2-natural

I haven’t got anything to compare it to but it is nicely setup, well finished, has a lovely sound and seems quite easy to play. Anyway, I declined his offer to demo it for a couple of weeks and paid him that day as I really liked it.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

We got a 2nd hand Fender CD-60 off Facebook marketplace for £60. Seems to get good reviews and the 10 year olds playing has improved massively since the upgrade and to my ear sounds pretty decent.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I learned on a Cheap Fender many moons ago. Cracking guitars, funnily enough, I played one of the CD-60s the other day, good guitars for the money those.

I’ve never liked any yamaha I’ve ever played.

butcher

The Fenders seem to get a bad rap going from the (very little) research I’ve done. I actually grew up playing one, I’m not sure what model but just one of the basic ones, and it was OK, perfectly adequate, but I wouldn’t really go further than that to describe it. It was never inspiring.

I’m wondering too if guitars have improved any over the years? Like bikes, which have advanced so much in the past 10 or 20 years, and so many other things which have benefited from improved manufacturing processes and scientific understanding. Or have they basically not changed since the 1960s?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Yamaha here, chosen after “playing” (a loose description) quite a few different makes.
    I have a Strat and the neck is very similar to play.
    Just feels really comfortable.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Interesting how online research can give such different results. I found quite a bit that was fairly positive about fender beginner acoustics. There’s also a massive amount of personal subjectivity in guitars as well.

seosamh77
    Free Member

There’s also a massive amount of personal subjectivity in guitars as well.

Yip, there’s also an awful lot of promote what you know or own as the greatest option there’s ever been. 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

The Fenders seem to get a bad rap going from the (very little) research I’ve done

Make up your own mind in guitar shop. Cheap Fenders have nice necks and are generally well set up. The more you pay the better they sound.

I find Yamaha necks are more Les Paul than Strat i.e. fatter. In a perfect world I’d have a Yamaha body with a Fender California series neck.

As it is I have a 200e Ibanez AEG7MH-OPN which is a delightful little thing to play.

kula72
    Free Member

I have a Vintage (JHS brand) V300 mahogany acoustic and it just gets better with age. Can be had new for about £150 now I think. I’m sure I recall it winning best guitar < £1000 when I bought it, or something like that. You might need to budget for a setup, as cheaper guitars tend to less than optimal from the factory. Though I got away with just new strings and sanding a few mm off the saddle.

nickc

A little research suggests Yamaha are king on the budget acoustic ranges. The F310 seems a reasonable

It’s a lovely guitar (I have one myself) It is quite large bodied though

IdleJon

The Fenders seem to get a bad rap going from the (very little) research I’ve done.

I bought a CD60 near the beginning of lockdown, having hunted round for reviews etc, and didn’t find any bad ones on this model. It tends to score highly against similarly priced guitars. My experience of it over the last couple of months has been very good.

(I’ve owned guitars for 35 years but haven’t played much for about 15 years. My old Peavey is broken so decided to order a new guitar and take some online lessons to try and get rid of bad habits. Summary: I’m not the best person to say whether the guitar is good or not!)

grum
    Free Member

LAG do some really nice entry level guitars. Amazing for the price and purty. I don’t like Fender acoustics I’ve tried. Yamaha don’t make anything rubbish really.

metalheart
    Free Member

Personally I like yamahas, I’ve a nylon ‘fusion’ electro acoustic (NTX700C) and one of their parlour travel steel string numbers. Both more than the budget mind. The NTX is my current go to/favorito currently. Slim body, ‘electric player’ neck width and capoed on G Compensates for my battered kinked body.

I’ve had a FG180 which was bloody massive (dreadnought) that I didn’t get on with (due to my twisted arm and dis-and-re-located index finger…) which I gave my wee brother as he’s been playing an old beat up Yamaha dreadnought I sold him for 50£ Well over 20 years ago that I picked up secondhand and is still going strong (as long you’re prepared to ignore the missing machine head…). The FG was a whole lot of guitar the 600£, great value.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Acoustic guitar for beginner’ is closed to new replies.