Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Acid reflux – sore throat
  • brack
    Free Member

Just been to the Doc…

Have had a left sided sore throat for the past 5 weeks…

Ive also been suffering from a bit of the ol acid reflux recently…and he thinks the two may be connected.

I had an op pre Christmas and had a General Anaesthetic ( with an ET tube down my throat) it may also be related to this.

Anyway – Ive been asked to carry ot a self breath test – Helicobacter Pylori Test or H pylori test.Im informed that it is to determing whether or not my stomach contains the bacteria that could be causing my reflux??

Anyone had one of these done or know how routine this whole thing is?

Cheers guy and gals.

rOcKeTdOg

very routine, reflux is generally caused by the stomach lining extending up the oesophagus, causing the ‘burn’ (search for Barrette oesophagus, but don’t forget you usually get worse case scenario on the net!!!) helicobacter is the bacteria which could be doing this and is very very common and curable

GJP
    Free Member

My doctor first gave me a blood test for H pylori which was negative and then after a couple of courses of PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibotors)which didn’t resolve the issue he sent me for a gastro endoscopy for a good route around and byopsies which are better tests for H pylori etc or at least that is what they told me.

Mine started as just feeling really sick in the mornings the then the acid reflux seemed to kick in a few weeks later. In the end mine was diagnosed as gastritis so nothing too serious etc but I did lose an quite a lot of weight.

I certainly had and still have periods of a sore throat but only really in the mornings which is down to the acid flowing back when you are asleep. My endoscopy revealed I had a loose LES (Lower Esophagal Sphincter!)

Not sure whether I am still considered to have GERD or what. For me the PPIs seem to be as much the source of the problem as the solution.

I can’t say mine is completely resolved fine for a few weeks and then flare up for a day or two. Although my appetite has returned and the weight is back up 🙁

GJP
    Free Member

As RD says don’t get hung up on info related to Barrett’s. It is a complication that arises after several years of uncontrolled acid reflux IIRC. Clearly I did and read far too much for my own good.

nasher
    Free Member

I have these symptoms, if its H Pylori, then this very easily tratable with some drugs.

Rwflux is different you may have a hiatus hernia (your oesaphagus is weak and allows acid into your throat….ignore barrets syndrome for now, you will just get worries.

Anyway I suffer or have suffered rrom these.

My tips are:

Dont eat late (eat 3 hrs before bedtime)
    eat more but smaller meals
    cut down on beer and wine
    dont smoke

Sip honey and hot water

OR

a tea spoon of Cider apple vinegar. this may be mad but not producing enough stomach acid can cause these symptoms

Those really red apples help also.

Dont drink milk as tthis is very acidic…

Drop me a mail if you want as I have alot of tips and techniques and the BS that doctors give you.

polarisandy
    Free Member

very common and 99% of he time nout to worry about. Though to give better advice you would need to know age, duration of symps, life style factors and presence or absence of ‘red flags’ ->weight loss, anaemia, difficulty swallowing etc

H.pylori is tested for in three ways
    blood test- but stays +ve after
    breath test- tells you if you’ve got it now
    gastroscopy and biopsy- as above plus they can have a look about.

treatment of H.pylori is eradication aka triple therapy 2 antibiotics and a high dose of lansoprezole or similar for one week. Three prescription charges i’m afraid.

All very routine.

Good luck

polarisandy
    Free Member

And in case your googling, in the UK its Oesophageal not Esophageal.

Same disease though, so WTF.

rOcKeTdOg

And in case your googling, in the UK its Oesophageal not Esophageal.

Same disease though, so WTF.

that’ll be the yanks….although most of the consultants/nurses in the endoscopy dept where i work can’t spell it either! 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

another GERD/GORD here, I’m on 40mg esomeprazole (1 at about 6pm daily), my bed as a pair of wellgo mags raising the headboard (which helps) I also sleep with two pillows.

IT PISSES ME OFF IMMENSELY

I would love to be rid of it, I had a “barium swallow” xray which showed refluxing but I’ve never had any tests for H Pylori, I’m now asking myself WHY THE HELL NOT?!?!?

I had an endoscope up my nose before that but again no mention of H Pylori?!?!

any tips, suggestions etc anyone has would be much appreciated, its the bain of my life!!

many thanks!!

GJP
    Free Member

Yeah sorry for that I obviously can’t spell it either way … You say “Tomato and I say Toe-mato”….

GJP
    Free Member

MrNutt – I read somewhere advising not to use two pillows as it “squashed/kinked the stomach” or something to that effect that made it worse?

nasher
    Free Member

Mr Nutt

You need an endoscopy down your throat (a tube with a camera down it…very uncomfortable) they can see if theres any inlamation and take samples to test for H Pylori.

H Pylori is the best result to have as its easily treatable.

MrNutt
    Free Member

they did that but via my nose, then decided to go for the “barium swallow” which wasn’t to bad, until I had my own private “picolax” type moment!

any ideas what the possible causes of H Pylori are? does it have any other symptoms I might look out for? (goes off to scour the net in search of self diagnosis tests!)

nasher
    Free Member

through your nose???????????

dont think so, as the camera goes down your throat!

H Pylori can be caused naturaly, it is a bacteria which is treatable.

What are your eating and drinking habits like?

polarisandy
    Free Member

MrNut H.pylori is just a bug that colonises your stomach, not sure of cause beyond that.
    Did you ever have any blood tests, your doc may have tested for H.pylori that way. Ask him/her, say you’ve read about it, would it be possible to test for it?
    i guess you’ve sorted out any lifestyle issues- alcohol/food/nicotine/weight/stress.
    Are you taking any medicines that might cause it- aspirin, ibuprofen antidepressant etc,
    Referral to gastroenterolgist, gastroscopy…….surgeon…..

DrP

I’m afraid you are quite misinformed nasher!
    The nose leads to the throat!!!

H pylori is present in about 90% of ulcers.
    Gastritis is worsened by booze/spicy foods.
    Milk is an alkali! Often it resolves the symptoms of reflux.
    Reflux is caused by many things, and as a result of persistant reflux, the lining of the oesophagus ‘converts’ to that similar in the stomach. This is Barret’s oesophagus.

As has been said, excess acid/symptoms are treated with PPI, and if h.pylori is present, antibiotics are given….

It’s all very common, but shouldn’t be dismissed…

DrP

DrP

Oh, whenever an OGD/endoscopy is performed, H.pylori tests are routinely taken too…..

DrP

MrNutt
    Free Member

no antidepressants, or other drugs to be honest.
    my drinking habits in the past have been excessive and I used to eat a vast amount of rich and spicy food.
    I used to smoke.
    I had a blood test at the start of this debacle. maybe they did the tests then?

I think I’ll get my doc to give me a horse full of antibiotics, just to be sure, he’ll probably suggest I try some bizarre and exciting new drug trial but then scare me off it by telling me that the side effects are baldness, erectile dysfunction and epilepsy, I’ll then decline and leave with nothing but a sense of relief that I didn’t opt for that trial.

I’m not really a particularly stressed person.

and yep, it went up my nose, then felt like it was going into my brain/about to come out my eyes and then it descended into my gizzards, all very strange!

GJP
    Free Member

Yes, I was advised at my Endoscopy that taking byopsies for H Pylori was pretty standard. And there was no **** way that camera would have gone down my nose – it was a lot thicker than I was expecting!

And although not a pleasant experience it wasn’t really painful or too uncomfortable.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have a massive nose.

rOcKeTdOg

nose is a viable entrance, especially when the patient has a poor gag reflex even under sedation/local anaesthetic

brack
    Free Member

Cheers guys….sorry for my lack of input…

Ive went out on a massive drinking session which ended up in a curry house trying all the hottest dishes!! Only joking.

I have had reflux for years – Ive put it down to being one of the hazards of my job – Paramedic…eating on the go and at strange times of the day,caffeine caffeine caffeine!

The sore throat started just before Christmas and Im not convinced it is to do with the reflux as the doc states…but he is the expert.

I’d like ( perhaps kidding myself) that it is an irritation following the tube down my throat from my General anaesthetic??

So from reading the posts….I take it that the best result following the pylori test would be a positive one? That way at least I have a treatable and obvious cause.

Its really good to gather other peoples experiences and I thank you all for your time.

This forum is great isn’t it !

polarisandy
    Free Member

Yep you’re right, that would be best result.

Tell us how you get on.

Andy

brack
    Free Member

Well…..good news I think?

I have tested positive to the H pylori test which means that it is easliy rectifiable!

And never did take any of the script meds.

Cheers guys!

MrNutt
    Free Member

good news! I am indeed envious!

scaredypants

<mutters quietly at back of room>

I didn’t think H.pylori had much to do with reflux & oesophagitis

(??)

DrP

You’re right…

GORD and gastritis go together, and are usually due to excess acid production.
    H pylori ‘weakens’ the stomach lining, causing ulcers.

H pylori is present in a lot of people WITHOUT ulcers too :-/

If GORD persists, it’s likely due to a mechanical problem in the stomach (i.e the stomach-oesophagus valve is kaput…)

From GP notebook..

DrP

DrJ

I have a massive nose

You do now, anyway 🙁

teresa5454
    Free Member

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Nexium) – onlinecheappills.com I recieved my pills within one week of ordering them.
    P.S. 5% discount coupon code: 4y3g6f4k

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Acid reflux – sore throat’ is closed to new replies.