Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Acid for Wasps, Alkaline for Bees, what for Mosquitoes?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have a total of 73 bites on my lower legs with 41 on one leg between the knee and ankle. I washede and coated my legs with Anthisan cream which helped a bit. Just had a proper soak in a bath and they seem a lot better after laying in near boiling water.

Does the heat kill the poisen/itchy stuff?

Smee
    Free Member

Napalm.

crazy-legs

To kill mozzies: DDT or napalm, they’re the only options
    To stop mozzies biting: DEET
    Any kind of soothing cream will stop the itching. Go to a chemist, they’ll have all sorts of overpriced remedies…

grizzlygus
    Free Member

what for Mosquitoes?

Just blood, I think is all they want.

househusband

Take antihistamine tablets, too.

(Mosquitos – WTF at this time of year?!)

orange
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

beetroot?

epicyclo

Even when I lived in the tropics I rarely got bitten. I used to take vitamin B as a repellent.

I’ve read elsewhere it doesn’t work, but it seemed to work for me and the guy who recommended it to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mossie bite cream for mossie bites. Although the best thing ime is to MTFU. You can manage it with the power of your mind. Speaking as someone who gets eaten alive and has lived in Finland. Mossies there were so bad that I couldn’t stop when out biking for more than about 10 seconds (literally). I had to ride continually, couldn’t look at the map, so just had to keep going till I ended up somewhere I recognised.

Long rides those turned out to be.

MrNutt
    Free Member

haha I’d forgotten about those bloody midges! the swarms of the things!! funny how time makes you forget such horrors!! 😆

Popocatapetl

the best thing to repel Mossies is as “crazy legs says- “Deet”. it needs to be a minimum of 20% concentration. Be careful where you put it! it will melt all forms of plastic and carbon! especially watch straps, expensive sunnies etc. i have worked in many mossie affected countries/locations and the best thing that i have found to treat bites is a product called “After bite” google it. available world wide.

IHN

6 fresh mint leaves
    caster sugar, to taste
    ½ lime, cut into wedges
    60ml/2¼fl oz rum
    ice
    100ml/3½fl oz sparkling water
    Angostura bitters
    1 sprig mint, to garnish

1. Muddle the mint, sugar and lime together.
    2. Add the rum, then fill the glass with ice and top up with the sparkling water and a splash of Angostura bitters.
    3. Garnish with a sprig of mint, and serve.

Oh, sorry, I thought you said mojitos.

Muke
    Free Member

Get a pen and join the dots up ???

Christowkid
    Free Member

The wasp/bee remedies are because the respective acid/alkali denatures the ( protein) sting poison, just as very hot water does for Weever fish stings.
    With mozzies it’s just like they said – anti histamine gels.
    I sympathise as i suffer badly from the after affects from mozzie bites.

There was a thread on here about Lyme dissease, and someone has linked it to a new anti bite thing from Autan
    http://www.autan.co.uk/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=1

It’s a non DEET anti bite cream or spray, work differently to DEET and isn’t absorbed by us which is brill cos from what i remember, DEET is pretty nasty stuff!
    Looks like this stuff can also hold off Ticks which might be a god-send to us lot. Take a look, i have no personal experience of it, but am extremely interested if it’s as good as it says.
    cheers
    Q

scaredypants

piss

and moonlight

you need to strip off & lay on the lawn while someone* pees on you

*if Mrs WCA is unavailable, personals section of the echo is surprisingly helpful in this respect

skidartist
    Free Member

I’ve used those little electric zappers
    kerzapp!
    Just a tiny electric jolt, stings a bit but takes away the itch for a little bit

RudeBoy
    Free Member

DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT WCA USE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ELECTRICITY, TO DEAL WITH MOZZIES, PLEASE.

For the sake of the whole of Southampton and surrounding area.

CountZero

LOFL at IHN, good thing I wasn’t eating anything at the time or I’d have choked on it.

Jakester
    Free Member

I suffer pretty badly with moz bites – usually any bites I get blow up in size, and take a couple of weeks to subside. Plus all the itching etc… I was once on tour with a band in Italy (I play drums) and got a bite on my hand which swelled up so much I couldn’t even hold a drumstick. Not fun.

Best thing I’ve found for dealing is this:

http://www.itchezeplus.com.au/

It’s an Oz product, but they’ll ship it to the UK. It contains Lidocaine so numbs the affected area, and lots of tea tree oil to act as an antiseptic. Along with antihistamines, one of those zappers, and an Afterbite pen, that’s about the most I can do to deal with them.

thefettler
    Free Member

The best thting for mozzie bites,

DONT scratch them !

Then in 10 mins after the pain’s gone

glenh
    Free Member

AMMONIA

dooge
    Free Member

Pee yourself? Bleach? ride around with hair removal wax on your legs collecting the buggers? I would say anything you can buy from a normal shop to use against normal mozzies, unless these are some form of mutant suck your body dry in 20 goes mozzies.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Its lemon juice isn’t it ?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Acid for Wasps, Alkaline for Bees, what for Mosquitoes?’ is closed to new replies.