Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • ACI spokes with Squorx alloy nipples ok?
  • joebristol

As above, I’ve built wheels with aci double butted spokes and their own brand brass nipples. I’ve also build wheels using DT Swiss competition spokes abs their alloy squorx nipples and phr washers.

I’ve got an XM481 with squorx alloy nipples and phr washers here that I want to build onto a Bitex hub – in the last I’ve bought DT spokes from Rose Bikes at quite a good cost. Tbh at route is now knackered by Brexit and DT spokes are looking a lot more expensive.

Thinking ACI db spokes have always been fine – there’s no reason I should t use those with squorx is there?

Before anyone says use brass – I’ve found the alloy squorx really good – they’re easy to use with the DT driver and they have pro lock in them and I’ve never had them seize or deteriorate. One set have been built into an mtb wheel for 3 years ish – I had to boost the hub with a Hope single sided end cap and re-dish the rim this week. All of them moved as easily / smoothly as the day I built it. As I went I waterproof greased the washer when putting it on the nipple and soaked the nipples in some wet chain lube before screwing them on. Would propose I do the same with this one.

james-rennie

Can’t see why not.
    Make sure the length of threaded bit on the ACI spokes match what the DT spokes would have, you should be ok.

joebristol

Cool – will order shortly then. At 46p a spoke still for black db spokes they’re hard to beat.

Northwind

I built mine with Sapim which is probably like mixing red and green, worked fine. Can’t see why ACI would be any different, the threads are a total standard after all. Just you need to be careful with lengths for the bloody stupid squorx.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve used ACI spokes with Squorx nipples (DT Swiss rim/Novatec hub) on my spare wheels. I’ve never had to true them or touch them since building and they’ve had the occasional hammering 🙂

joebristol

Sounds good. I worked out spoke lengths on the DT Swiss site with squorx 15mm nipples input so they ought to be the right length with a bit of luck. Never had an issue using that calculator.

Also about to re-spoke / re-rim a bmx wheel I’ve tango-d. Never done a small (24”) wheel like that before. 36 spoke 3
    Cross bit with a rim with massively apart nipple holes. More worried about this one than the aci / squorx one which is 29er.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ACI spokes with Squorx alloy nipples ok?’ is closed to new replies.