Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • ACF 50 – anti corrosion stuff. Any good or snake oil?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Looking at this ACF 50 stuff for my outboard.

Some people swear by it but I hadn’t even heard of it before.

Anyone used it? Any good?

ACF 50

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve used it on my KTM this winter and it seems to work.  I’ll be getting it again.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a thread on MTBR where someone tested the various anti-corrosion products. Might be worth having a search. I can’t remember what the result was. He got a bit of stick for not being scientifically rigorous enough but the test he was doing was closer to real world than a lab.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andybrad

used it on motorbikes. good stuff but you get a crust on your bike from all the stuff that sticks to it.

whitestone
    Free Member
    gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info.

I guess I’ll give it a go.

It will be used inside the engine cowling so shouldn’t pick up too much dirt.

vongassit
    Free Member

I use it on many outboards , under the hood & in electric multi plugs. In fact lots of stuff in the marine environment. It’s good stuff & keeps new powerheads looking new longer. Nicer than Quicksilver Anti-corrosion.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Good but XCP comes out better.

Northwind

It’s awesome stuff, but I’ve never used it on a pushbike. On the motorbike, it was actually enough to overcome Suzuki build quality and keep mine in decent nick for 70000 scottish miles. It always looked like crap, but all the filth was kept away from the worky bits.

XCP is good too and applies much better from an aerosol- ACF goes on amazingly if you have a compressor though, stick it in a parrafin gun and spray it on in a fine mist, it gets in everywhere.

stuey
    Free Member

Spray pump bottle is 25gbp for 1 litre on ebay – great value – keeps my retro chrome bits safe.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Specified for aircraft wing protection so not snake oil. Our experience is excellent if you are not washing the area down which includes mud and rain baths.
    Is also used on the coastguard helis so helpful in those conditions.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Specified for aircraft wing protection so not snake oil. Our experience is excellent if you are not washing the area down which includes mud and rain baths.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Speaking from experience-careful with your torque settings. It’s a lubricant, even if not like a PTFE based product, it’s still an oil.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Check out Fluid film as well.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I always had good results with it on motorbikes that lived outside all year round. No corrosion in years.

kaiser
    Free Member

Yes ACF ..great stuff.beware if buying a large amount to save money that it has a 2 yr shelf life iirc.I’m sure I’ve also seen tests where XCP didn’t do so well but being a competitor with a market leader difficult to identify bias or reality.

Northwind

kaiser

Yes ACF ..great stuff.beware if buying a large amount to save money that it has a 2 yr shelf life iirc.

I think it has a 2 year limit for the jobs it’s approved for, ie aviation stuff, but I found a 10 year old bottle and it’s as good as new

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ACF 50 – anti corrosion stuff. Any good or snake oil?’ is closed to new replies.