Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Accupuncture
  • emma82
    Free Member

Anyone had it/go regularly/think it’s a waste of time? I keep seeing reports that there is ‘increasing evidence’ that it works but the ‘evidence’ usually turns out just to be the usual ‘it helped next doors daughters best friends cat loads’ type stuff. Some statistics with it against a placebo group but really not much. Is itworth it?

Cougar

tazzymtb

if you try it and it makes you feel better than you did before, does it matter if it works by science, a placebo or magic pixies? the end result is still the same. I could only see an issue of acupuncture practitioners start making claims that it can cure cancer, heart disease etc… where use of an “alternative” in place of conventional medicines may actually cause harm

geetee1972
    Free Member

Acupuncture is for me like 29ers – an uncomfortable truth!

I am a logical, scientific minded, well educated and reasonable intelligent individual. Everything tells me that acupuncture should be right up there with homeopathy.

But I have had acupuncture and yes it did work for me. I had an injury in my knee from martial arts training, basically a bad strain on the ACL that made kicking too painful. I had worked around it and carried the injury for about four months. Two sessions of acupuncture and the knee was fine, the pain was gone and I had no recurrent issues with it.

Could be coincidence, could be psychosomatic, but it seemed to work.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It definitely did something to me. Whether it helped is another matter.

My nerves are shot after having Guillain Barre Syndrome, I can’t feel my fingers or my feet properly, as well as having various other symptoms. I had some physio last year which progressed to acupuncture. The physio inserted six needles and all was fine until he twisted one, It triggere a burning sensation all over my skin. Now I do get this at times anyhow after being ill, but the acupuncture definitely brought it on rapidly.

ps44
    Free Member

What GT1972 said. Sorted out an elbow/forearm problem for me.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

My missus had a course and it appeared to help her stress levels and hormonal issues following baby nr 2 but it was also in conjunction with a detox diet so couldnt swear which one worked but the two combined definitely worked

cb

Same as others up there – highly sceptical but did good things for some of my joints (AS sufferer).

gonefishin
    Free Member

It’s quackery, pure and simple.

Every time it is tried in a blinded trial it turns out that it doesn’t matter who you put the needles or even if you use toothpicks rather than needles the result is the same. Have a look at “bad science” or “science based medicine” for some far more intelligent critiques of the practice.

swamp_boy

I’ve had it once or twice, seemed to work, but the second time, on a swollen knee, they also massaged it, so that might have had some effect too. They also tried cupping, but my knees are too knobbly and hairy for the cups to stay on, and that’s b******s anyway.

Also had herbal treatment for a nasty abcess in a place I’d rather not mention, but it badly affected my cycling. It vanished in under a week, but ‘herbal’ didn’t mean a few drops of lavender water and evening primrose oil – we are talking about drinking a pint of boiled up shrubbery and toadstools that was the colour of the Thames and tasted like diesel. Then take the rest, boil up some more stuff that’s not safe to drink and sit with affected parts in it [once its cooled down]

SG goes regularly for fairly major back and hip problems and it works for her, but she swims as well. Regular treatment can rack the costs up, some places charge a lot more than others and try to sell you other stuff as well, we’ve found a reasonable local one now.

So to answer the original question – seem to work but nothing conclusive. General view from both camps seems to be that Chinese medicine is good for keeping you in good general shape, but Western is better for the serious acute stuff like cancer.

gonefishin
    Free Member

So to answer the original question – seem to work but nothing conclusive. General view from both camps seems to be that Chinese medicine is good for keeping you in good general shape, but Western is better for the serious acute stuff like cancer.

The general view from both camps is no such thing. There are only two types of medics, stuff that has been proven to work and everything else. When tested acupuncture simply does not work. There is no way that any pharmaceutical company could market a drug with the lack of proof that acupuncture ( or indeed all other types of alternative medicine) has.

spchantler
    Free Member

way that any pharmaceutical company could market a drug with the lack of proof that acupuncture ( or indeed all other types of alternative medicine) has.

thalidomide.
    o ye mighty pharmaceutical company’s, we bow down to your superior knowledge, and no, you’re not in it for the money (typed with my nose, cos i’ve got no hands)
    seriously, this is an ancient system of medicine, why are we discounting it when the chinese were doing it while we where living in mud huts. i’ve had it 4 times, on a back injury and it has worked wonders for me. the first time, i had been unable to move for 10 days, on strong painkillers, etc. had the needles, which did some rather strange things, ie switched off the nerves to my legs, temporarily! 4 hours later, full mobility, out dancing. like everything there’s good and bad practitioners, shop around and you wont look back, its great.

Cougar

“Old” does not equal valid. Homeopathy is old.

“Thalidamide” was a mistake; the fact that medicine got something wrong does not add credence to any old hogwash you happen to make up. That’s how things like chiropractic and other vitalistic treatments gained a foothold; it was preferable to the blood-telling, trepanning and leeches prevalent at the time in so far as ineffective practices tend not to kill people. Long-term effects for thalidomide were badly researched; if anything, it highlights the need for evidence-based medicine.

There’s no such thing as “alternative medicine”. There’s “medicine” and “everything else.” If it’s not medicine then it’s a nice bowl of soup and a charming bedside manner.

Next.

Cougar

time for this again I think.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMb90hem8[/video]

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are only two types of medics, stuff that has been proven to work and everything else.

There are only two types of medics, stuff that has been proven to work a substantial body of evidence to demonstrate its efficacy and everything else.

FIFY – science and non-science; the difference between truths existing in the absence of falsifying evidence and everything else.

peaks
    Free Member

+1 Geetee

I am a vet, science is in my blood and I am of the opinion that I need to see something work for myself, or have a sound reasoning behind it, for me to believe.

Having said that, I hurt my back last year, physio didn’t really do much, so the guy did a session of acupuncture. Well, I went from a non-believer to believing it had an effect almost instantly. Got up off the table and felt relief. True, it lasted only 2 days but that’s longer than proper physio have me relief for.

I’ve also seen it performed in animals for arthritis – again for some reason they did seen improved for a short period. Now they can’t be a placebo!

The science behind it, not sure. But I’m no longer a staunch sceptic on this form of alternative medicine

boxfish
    Free Member

I used acupuncture as part of recovery from a torn vertebral disc (generally as a precursor to manipulation by an osteopath). I believe it helped.

spchantler
    Free Member

any old hogwash you happen to make up

is this in the literal sense? as in me making it up? if so, i take offense, sir. having used acupuncture, i speak from experience, have you? maybe you should, in fact, i’ll pay for you to visit mine, perhaps we can sort you an injury as well, in the interest of science…. 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

Absolutely right Geetee, thanks for the correction.

I’ve also seen it performed in animals for arthritis – again for some reason they did seen improved for a short period. Now they can’t be a placebo!

Why not? you can’t ask them if they feel any different you have to do it based on your observation so how do you account for observer bias? Also in my (very limited in comparison to you) experience if you show an animal some attention they generally respond positively. Placebo in animals.

Plenty of people believe a lot of things, it doesn’t make it true. I’ve had acupuncture in the past and it didn’t help. My anecdote is however of no more worth than yours, only properly controlled trials are of any real use and none of these show any benefit beyond that of a placebo

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is there any data that shows any degree of variance in results that must be attributed to placebo effect or are placebo effects always consistent in their rate of efficacy?

gonefishin
    Free Member

There has actually been some research into the Placebo effect and it isn’t constant. Double the dose of a placebo will give a better repines. Different colour pills give different results. Injections and pills give different results too, I think.

Ben Goldacre’s take on things. It’s bound to be a bit ranty but it is a subject that he is clearly fascinated by.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Fascinating (the variance in placebo effect). I’m guessing the variance is all outside of the margin of error?

It’s almost comedic – some placebos are more efficacious than others!

doh
    Free Member

spchantler – Member

seriously, this is an ancient system of medicine, why are we discounting it
    cos its mostly a load of ‘llocks that has not been found to do any better than sugar pills. rhino horn and powdered tiger bones?

detox diets, cupping, osteopaths and accupuncture you guys are well funny, though i suppose if you happy to give your hard earned to some nutter and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy then crack on

paulosoxo
    Free Member

So what about hypnotherapy?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Why does osteopathy get such a bad time? The ones I’ve met have had to study as hard as and are as well qualified in physiology as physiotherapists.

singletrackmind

Whiplash injury on an already whiplashed neck .
    Car crash a few years after a heavy mtb crash , using my face stop.
    Had accupuncture twice by a chinese doctor.
    Instant , noticable relief. Less pain and alot more movement.
    Still clicks like a Rubik’s cube though

gonefishin
    Free Member

I could study fairies and the folklore around them for years, it wouldn’t make them any more real. Some of the heat transfer I studied at Uni has now been proven to be wrong. Just because you work and study hard doesn’t mean that what you are studying is any more true because of it.

flap_jack
    Free Member

more anecdotal evidence here – worked twice for me on separate injuries. Both times performed by proper physios. Both times relief instant and long lasting.

doh
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    Had accupuncture twice by a chinese doctorman (ftfy).

Cougar

Both times performed by proper physios.

Were you also receiving physiotherapy at the time?

Cougar

is this in the literal sense? as in me making it up?

Unless you’re claiming to have invented some form of alternate therapy, no. Sorry, my bad, I should’ve realised I needed to be clearer from the lack of common sense displayed in your earlier post.

having used acupuncture, i speak from experience,

Did you have acupuncture as part of a double-blind test? If not, you are biased, and therefore your anecdotal experience is nullified.

i’ll pay for you to visit mine, perhaps we can sort you an injury as well, in the interest of science….

Deal. No need for the intentional maiming, helpfully I have a bad shoulder already. I’d be happy to have pins stuck in me in the interests of science on someone else’s nickel. I’m prepared to travel a modest distance from East Lancashire or London, anywhere else will incur additional travelling expenses.

spchantler
    Free Member

and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy then crack on

no mate, it didnt make me feel warm and fuzzy, it got me walking again after 10 days of not been able to move without extreme pain. try reading people’s posts before you comment

spchantler
    Free Member

cougar, mines in sowerby bridge, i’ll happily pay for you to have some, not so far from east lancs, message me and we’ll do it, bring yer bike as well 😉

Cougar

Yeah, why not.

Evenings would be better, though during the day might be doable. I have reason to be in Wakefield sometimes so could combine the two.

I’ve got a first physio appointment on Monday so I’d rather avoid the start of the week so as not to confuse the results. Email in profile.

Cards on the table, I have an open mind about acupuncture. I don’t believe in the theory for a second, but I can see how the procedure may be effective for as yet undiscovered reasons. I’m sceptical, for reasons as others have detailed above, but I’m prepared to try it.

emma82
    Free Member

See now I’m even more confused. I’m more of a sceptical person so I’m kinda in the just stick to what’s proven camp but I’m really intrigued to see if it will help where other stuff hasn’t

flap_jack
    Free Member

Were you also receiving physiotherapy at the time?

Yep. So, no, I don’t know what did what. Well, I think I do, but I can’t be sure. Hence why I said anecdotal.

rb
    Free Member

I had acupuncture in my neck and back, it was done with electric running thru the pins to help deaden the nerves,and ease the pain. I found it works for me

doh
    Free Member

sphincter – Member
    try reading people’s posts before you comment

i did, its still a load of cobblers though innit.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve recently had acupuncture for my shoulder following an op, it was performed by my physio who’s been doing a sterling job of getting me back on the bike.

It was weird – needles in my shoulder then pain in my ear on the same side!

Years ago I had acupuncture to help me stop smoking. It didn’t work. Willpower did.

Go figure. 😕

Oh yes, in the past I’ve been treated by a chiropractor. He found the cause of my pain, unlike other medical professionals.

DezB
    Free Member

I hurt my back last year, physio didn’t really do much, so the guy did a session of acupuncture. Well, I went from a non-believer to believing it had an effect almost instantly. Got up off the table and felt relief. True, it lasted only 2 days but that’s longer than proper physio have me relief for.

This for me too. Injured shoulder few years back, nothing worked, acupuncture was instant pain relief lasting a few days.
    Only an operation to clear out the bone chips actually fixed the shoulder.

Emma – friend of my wife does it for a living so if you want to see some kind of documentation as to how/ why it works I can ask for you. The friend’s brother treats celebs and vips in Harley Street, but we all know they’re mugs 😉 Anyway, email in profile if you want some info.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Accupuncture’ is closed to new replies.