Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • According to Bikeradar… New Bike Day!
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Well, apparently this is obsolete before it has even hit a trail!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NJVV8h]14th November 2016[/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

All because it has nice fat tyres:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/P9s7Ub]14th November 2016b[/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

There are a few changes to stock to happen – think I am going to swap the brakes out for Hope E4s on 200/180 rotors (maybe 200/200), and a second set of wheels (29″ with some decent grippy slop-proof tyres on it!)

Just a shame I ripped a muscle in my back last week so can’t actually take it for a proper ride yet!

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure what you’re on about, but I think it looks nice and I’ll take it off your hands for £100 if you’re unhappy with it.

You might just have to saw an inch off the seat tube mast for me.

🙂

weeksy

They’re not fat… they’re slightly portly at best…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

lol – slightly portly bike 😉 Kinda suits me!!!!

I backed away from uber flash for something a bit more workmanlike (and that I can abuse without worrying too much!)

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it the new Fuel EX then?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Leaves need raking

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yep – EX8, I couldn’t justify carbon!

The leaves need beyond raking!

NormalMan

Looks nice.

Sorry if I’ve missed the obvious but why is it out of date?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Bikeradar had an article up last week saying plus size tyres were pointless and going to disappear before they had started.

Today it seems to have vanished!

Something to do with 2.5″ 27.5 tyres being better… or something.

Have some 29er wheels coming for this anyway with some more aggressive treads for winter! Brakes are upgrading to Hope Tech 3 E4s with 200/180 rotors too. Think that is all I intend for the time being!

Can’t wait to get it out on the trails, just got to get my back a little more healed up first!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

(I may also shrink the front chainring to a 30 or 28… going to see how I get on with the stock 32 first though!)

acidtest
    Free Member

Nice looking bike mate.

Sorry if I’ve missed the obvious but why is it out of date?

Bike radar wrote an article about the tyre size not working in some situations or something like that.

Daffy
    Daffy

My Trek Stache is an absolute hoot. I honestly cant see a time in the future when I won’t have a Plus bike.

I tried full fat and it was rubbish, but Plus (especially 29+) is phenomenally good.

Ben_H

I was riding 2.5s in 1999! 2.4s are where it’s really at. 😉

OP: nice bike, BTW.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I used to love Conti Diesels, think they were somewhere around a 2.5 weren’t they?

NormalMan

Thanks for explanation. Not much of a bikeradar reader tbh.

I’m a covert of the fat side anyway 😆

dragon
    Free Member

TBF Bikeradar have a point, what’s the point of a tyre size that is neither one thing nor the other. The industry will also need to cut costs, so something will have to give.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s ever going to be mainstream, but since you can design a bike that runs on either 29″ or 27.5″+ why not provide the option 😉

dragon
    Free Member

Bikeradar covered that in the article, in that it leaves you with a non optimal bike for a certain wheel / tyre combo. For me the industry needs to settle on the following three (29, 650 & fatty) and stick with that. All are noticeably different to market and commit manufacturing resources to, while also providing meaningful consumer choice.

scotroutes

dragon – Member
    Bikeradar covered that in the article, in that it leaves you with a non optimal bike for a certain wheel / tyre combo

This is the BB height issue. It’s certainly exacerbated when measured using some of the “only nominally” Plus tyres like Trailblazers. Much less of an issue if you’re using something chunkier like a 3.0″ Nobby Nic.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I think they alluded to that in the article Scotroutes, the difference between more comparable tyres became less of an issue.

The Fuel EX was designed to work with either wheelsize (as have a few other frames now) so I don’t really think it is such an issue. My 29″ wheels should arrive in the next day or two with some Hans Damphs/Magic Marys on it is going to be interesting to see what the difference in ride is!

I am more concerned about threading the braided hope hoses through the frame than the difference in BB height to be honest!

Alex

Yeah those tyres in the wet – shudders.. be interesting to see how Trek / Cotic etc have managed offering both wheel sizes. On my currently chubby flare max, the BB is a bit low but it corners brilliantly. Same as yo got some 29er wheels coming so be good to compare.

My Stache has run 27.5+ and 29+ and they are both good in different ways. We’ll see where the industry goes but I reckon whatever happens, some of us will always be chubby 🙂

Nice bike that CK… should be a hoot once you’re better.

kd48

Is this the same Bikeradar that had an article not long ago that stated that 27.5+ tyres were actually faster than 29er tyres on the same bike over a bunch of different trails.
    Hey ho, ride what you’ve got and my Solaris with fat tyres looks like a monster truck and everybody loves monster trucks.

Northwind

Capt. Kronos – Member

The Fuel EX was designed to work with either wheelsize (as have a few other frames now) so I don’t really think it is such an issue.

Thing is though, pretty much everyone puts the flipchips into low/slack mode, so unless they’ve changed the philosophy a bit it’s probably no more optimised for both wheel sizes than any other trek 29er with one good setting and one tall pointless one.

(got to be shallow for a moment, id idn’t like how plus tyres worked for me but by god did it look good. That Fuel Ex looks ridiculously good)

dumbbot
    Free Member

I confess to being a little chubby curious, but i just don’t think the endless fettling with tyre pressures/tyre’s/rims is for me. I have my doubts whether these ‘standards’ will be around long term but I’m keen to hear more first hand comparisons between the 29/vs 27+ .

It is a lovely looking bike though, the semi chubb just looks right on some bikes.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Interestingly… flipchip is in high at the moment – the folks I have spoken too tend to leave it there too (Lakes based). I will probably have a try both ways and see what I think!

We discussed tyres and the conclusion was that these were “summer” rubber only. Perhaps the odd frosty day too. I was toying with ordering some Minions form the continent in chubby size, but they are scary expensive at the moment!

chakaping
    Free Member

Flip chip geo changes look relatively useable on these.

The XC setting is where the slack one was on the old model IIRC, and the slack one is about right for a 29er shred sled.

What size is that one?

scotroutes

the endless fettling with tyre pressures/tyre’s/rims

I occasionally adjust tyre pressures, same as any bike. I’m not sure what other fettling is required. There’s been a lot of chat about tyre choice but that’s to be expected when more options are only just coming on stream. Just as with any other tyre size, folk will determine what suits them best and all that’ll stop.

Alex

was toying with ordering some Minions

– yeah aren’t they. I have a set of Rekon’s which are a) fab and b) silly money. I think Maxxis have decided maybe it’s a short term thing so they’ll just perform legalised robbery on those of us without much tyre choice!

In terms of pressures, I run the Cotic at 16/14 and the Stache 14/12. Bigger volume tyres on the stache. I did pump the Rekon’s up to low 20s for Antur but it was horrible. Dropped them back down again and risked death by exploding sidewall but all was okay in the end.

piesoup
    Free Member

What wheelset are you getting?
    I’m hopefully getting the Stumpjumper FSR Fattie and a set of 29er wheels.

jekkyl

what’s that plastic thing next to the cassette?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Frame is a 21,5″

Just going with Hope Tech4 Enduros for the other wheels – I specced up alternatives but the cost was getting silly, and funds are tight as it is!

Plastic thing – something they put on bikes in stores, and which I usually end up removing at some stage (though it may take a while before inclination catches up with me!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I occasionally adjust tyre pressures, same as any bike. I’m not sure what other fettling is required. There’s been a lot of chat about tyre choice but that’s to be expected when more options are only just coming on stream.

The very honest quotes in the last long thread seem to echo the ones from Bike Radar a bit, will the rubber industry manage to deliver on the tyre that is fat enough, strong enough and light enough? As spec have their own tyre brand/production and are allegedly backing slowly out the door maybe not. Leaves you with a great for some, not quite mainstream and back to niche (some will be happy 😉 )
    LBS has been selling a few but still yet to see any out in anger round our way but that might just be a trail difference.

chakaping
    Free Member

Frame is a 21,5″

Thought it looked big but it’s hard to tell with those Carlos Fandango wheels and tyres.

will the rubber industry manage to deliver on the tyre that is fat enough, strong enough and light enough?

The article’s kind-of saying “no” for hard/rocky riding, but there seem to be plenty of plus fans who are more into mile-munching – so it will maybe end up a useful niche for people who want a bit more comfort with the simplicity of a hardtail.

I’ve never really thought it’d work for me, as I need a 1kg supergravity rear tyre in 2.35in width – so there’s obviously got to be some kind of weight or toughness trade-off to go wider.

Unless someone comes up with a new light, stiff and affordable wonder-material for sidewalls of course.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

OP – Like it! I’m sure enjoying my chubby wheeled beast, I’m sure glad our RADAR works better than Bike Radar!

dumbbot – Member
    I confess to being a little chubby curious, but i just don’t think the endless fettling with tyre pressures/tyre’s/rims is for me. I have my doubts whether these ‘standards’ will be around long term but I’m keen to hear more first hand comparisons between the 29/vs 27+ .

It is a lovely looking bike though, the semi chubb just looks right on some bikes.

I switched from a 7 years with 29ers to 650+ and don’t regret it, been faster, more aggressive and all done in more comfort than on my old 29er. So far I’m still running tubes as I don’t get out that often to warrant tubeless and risk the sealer clumping up. I’ve not faffed about with the pressures really, dropped it from what the shop had it set and then dropped a bit more but since I got it set I’ve not touched it. They are great fun and I hope they last!

Cheers, Steve

Alex

The article’s kind-of saying “no” for hard/rocky riding,

Hmm well mine did a day at Antur and then a day in the Lakes and it was fine. Sure I’m not the most aggressive rider, but I’m clumsy and my multiple slamming of sharp rocks didn’t destroy the tyre (others in the group on more standard widths did however… still they ride faster than me!)

The extra weight to get a proper sidewall versus the advantage of chubbier tyres at lower pressures isn’t going to ever be a simple yes/no answer. If it makes you smile, then don’t overthink it is my experience.

Be interesting putting these 29ers on. I’ve ridden lots of 29ers and like them but my expectation is I’ll prefer the chubby.

Oh and @Capt – I looked at the Hope Tech Enduro but ended up with Superstar branded stuff with their 25% off which came in at half the price of the Hopes…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Damn, missed that!

Then again… I did get a good price on the Hopes 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘According to Bikeradar… New Bike Day!’ is closed to new replies.