Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Accommodation for BPW
  • Premier Icon rossburton

So the boy really wants a road trip to BPW, so we need accommodation. I’ve a fallback of camping but are there any bike friendly places nearby that are reasonably priced? He is a huge fan of Premier Inn breakfasts, so does anyone have first hand experience of how bike-friendly the Premier Inn at Merthyr is?

Premier Icon jeffbadger
    Free Member

Stayed at the Premier Inn quite a few times, they are happy for you to take bikes into the room as long as they are reasonably clean.

Premier Icon tomhoward

Stayed at the Premier Inn quite a few times, they are happy for you to take bikes into the room as long as they are reasonably clean.

This

Premier Icon z1ppy
    Free Member

Friends stayed with these ppl and were full of praise for the setup
    https://www.twintrails.co.uk/

Premier Icon weeksy

Yup to Premier Inn, no issues at all with bikes and food is, well, as you’d expect. 🙂

We’re there on the 4th July actually.

Premier Icon Northwind

Haven’t stayed at premier inn merthyr but most permier inns are happy to have stuff in the rooms as long as you’re careful.

Having said that- how long you got? BPW is fine and all but if it were me I’d stay closer to Abergavenny and hit BMCC as well, it’s way better (imo) and a bit of a nicer area.

Premier Icon simon_g

All Premier Inns are bike friendly, but the Pentrebach one must have hundreds of people staying with their bikes each month, it’s our usual go-to. Ask at check in and they’ll usually give you a room on the ground floor to make it a bit easier.

This looks interesting for a future visit though: https://roostmerthyr.co.uk/

Premier Icon DezB

Yeah, we always stayed at the Premier Inn. Just getting it to be our annual father son thing when Covid screwed it up. Hoping to get one more in before he goes to Uni. Probably a B&B this time as he’s now a bit old to share a room, so good to see some possible locations 🙂

Premier Icon susepic
    Free Member

Ni idea if this is any good, but rated by the Graun:
    https://thegrangecefncoed.wales/mountain-biking/

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

The Travelodge is very predictable and they never seem to care how filthy my bike is! I’m always too keen to catch the first uplift to have a lengthy breakfast, despite the appeal of a proper fry-up… You can fit three MTBers and their bikes in each room, for maximum cheapness!

Premier Icon alaric
    Free Member

The Grange is excellent, run by cyclists for cyclists. They have dedicated, secure bike storage, bike wash facilities and everything else you need (including a cellar full of local Craft beers).

Premier Icon nickingsley

+1 for Twintrails, though not the closest to MT nightlife!

Premier Icon jkomo

Before we started doing it in a day we stayed at the Castle. It’s not a castle, but a brutalist concrete bunker (not in a good way) that hasn’t been decorated since the fall of the Berlin Wall. Anyway, it’s cheap, clean with nice staff. More importantly it’s next door to a friendly pub with decent beer, and gives access to the full Merthyr experience.
    We realised that we always felt much worse after a night out rather than the two our drive up in the morning.

Premier Icon Olly
    Free Member

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/s/oLfKu

Coed Owen Bunkhouse, every time.

You can book it out to a whole group, or as long as it isnt booked out to a group, book beds. Pub opposite is good too.

Premier Icon PrinceJohn
    Free Member

They seemed pretty accommodating for my bike at the Premier Inn

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLnXyUXhR2l/

Premier Icon DezB

Love the mood lighting 😀

Premier Icon nwmlarge

Have stayed at the Castle Hotel, I would not recommend this at all, unless you want to go for the experience.

A couple of times we have rented houses via AirBNB a much more civilized way to stay, they come with bike storage generally.

Premier Icon teethgrinder

Travelodge – they let you have bikes in the room (just don’t be a dick – clean it or dust sheet)
    Premier Inn – as above
    Taff Trail Bunkhouse – holds 10-12 people, bike wash facilities, kitchen. Good people

Out of all of them Premier Inn closest by car, but I prefer Travelodge as it’s easily walking distance to the amenities, where as Premier Inn is just closest to the Co-Op. Parking better at Premier Inn, though.

Premier Icon timmys

I’ve always gone Travelodge for all the exciting cultural amenities within 1 min walk (McDonalds, Nandos, dodgy looking pub, chinese buffet with extraordinarily bad Google reviews, Subway, Frankie & Bennies, Harvester, cinema, bowling).

The tyre marks at head height in the lift always make me smile.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.