Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Accident victim's mother urges cyclists not to listen to music while they ride
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

http://road.cc/content/news/22752-accident-victims-mother-urges-cyclists-not-listen-music-while-they-ride

The mother of a woman killed when she apparently rode her bike into the back of lorry trailer has appealed to cyclists not to listen to music while they ride.

thomthumb
    Free Member

tasteless

Filthy
    Free Member

Tragic but I fail to see how not listening to music would stop you riding into the back of a lorry!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I don’t wear headphones on the bike as I think it’s important to be able to hear as best as possible what is going on around you. However, I fail to see how it would have avouided riding into the back of a lorry in this situation

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW – great Dailymail article – adverts inbetween a tragic storey 🙁

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/197436/Peril-of-headphones-exposed-after-girl-cyclist-dies-in-crash

stumpyjon

Concentration levels are affected by listening to music, even in a car over the radio. It’s worse when you’ve got headphones in, particularly the noise reduction ones. They tend to cut you off from the world around you. It’s not just about hearing the idiot coming up behind you, you need to fully aware of your surroundings and even then you’re not always safe. Personal preference at the end of the day but I’d never listen while riding, I rely on my hearing too much on road and I don’t want to listen offroad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been done a while ago.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup but it came up again on the news this morning Al so topical no?

+1 Stumpyjohn 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

A cyclist was in the news recently urging people to wear helmets after one stopped him suffering more serious injury. He rode into a parked tractor at full tilt…

foxyrider
    Free Member

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink?

alex222
    Free Member

does that mean horses shouldn’t listen to music whilst at a watering hole?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it wear a cycle helmet or listen to Eminem

njee20
    Free Member

Stupid at the time, stupid now.

Tragic yes, but WTF has music got to do with it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

does that mean horses shouldn’t listen to music whilst at a watering hole?

Of course not as the horse wouldn’t hear the car behind resulting in a collision?

As an aside are njee and cynic-al the most grumpy people on STW forum at the mo? 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Natural selection im afraid.
    Tragic, but no-one else to blame but the girl in question.
    In my opinion its like riding a bike in traffic with blinkers!

Drac

Yes music can effect you concentration which is just why you pay more attention, if you can’t see a 40′ artic in front of you then there’s something up.

rudedog
    Free Member

Natural selection im afraid.
    Tragic, but no-one else to blame but the girl in question.
    In my opinion its like riding a bike in traffic with blinkers!

or maybe like riding a bike in traffic with something covering your ears?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Personally, music helps my concentration.

Not everyone is the same.

In fact, I think I’ll write that for every STW response I post from now on – “not everyone is the same”.

foxyrider
    Free Member

We are in the forum of over-generalisation namastebuzz 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

I ride off-road while listening to music but tend not to on the road. Agree with others though that it doesn’t appear to have been a factor in this particular tragic case.

hels
    Free Member

Does seem odd – if you exit a cycle path on to a road you at least look – or is the implication that she was so busy singing along to Britney, Kylie and Michael that she forgot ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Does seem odd – if you exit a cycle path on to a road you at least look – or is the implication that she was so busy singing along to Britney, Kylie and Michael that she forgot ?

I would guess so hels?

highclimber
    Free Member

I could understand her protestations if she had been sideswiped by the same lorry but the fact that her daughter ran into the back of the lorry indicates to me that the headphones were not to blame in this instance. who know what made her miss the huge back end of a lorry?

I still wouldn’t recommend wearing them but while riding but each to their own.

Tragic: yes. Music to blame? I think not in this case.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Parents often look for some meaning in horrible circumstances like this – can’t blame them really.

hora
    Free Member

you need ALL your sensors when riding a bike on the roads.

Its Darwinian for anyone and a matter of time before you have a distracted accident if you listen to music on a bike/commute.

How bored of your own company must you be? I love thinking when riding.

Harsh but true.

hels
    Free Member

I have to admit I listen to music in one ear on quiet rural roads, I always hear cars coming. But I always take it out if coming up to a town, and wouldn’t even think about it in a city, or on a busy A road like my commute road. Personal decision I guess ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just pointing out that the topic was coveredc previously, how does that make me grumpy ❓

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just a sweeping generalisation Cynic-al – purely observational 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair point, I probably am the grumpiest on here.

foxyrider
    Free Member

😆

namastebuzz
    Free Member

you need ALL your sensors when riding a bike on the roads.

Its Darwinian for anyone and a matter of time before you have a distracted accident if you listen to music on a bike/commute.

How bored of your own company must you be? I love thinking when riding.

Well if you’re thinking of something other than riding you may be distracted 🙂

stumpyjon

In this case it’s not that not hearing things caused the accident it’s the fact that listening to music whether you like or not starts to artificial disengage you from your surroundings. It’s a similar although admittedly more situation with people using hand free phones in the car.

That all said a surprising number of people kill themselves riding into stationary vehicles regardless of what they’re listening to.

Drac

What you can’t ride, watch the road, listen to music and think at the same time?

Explains many of your posts hora clearly too busy concentrating on breathing.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

How do you hear that car that is screaming up behind you if you have music taking away your ability to hear road hazards? I’ll stick to listening for cars and other stuff that is trying to kill me thanks.

Drac

I was given the gift of sight, I keep checking behind me for approaching traffic. A bit like you do in a car a because you can’t hear a them ‘screaming behind you’ in a car too easy.

burmaboy
    Free Member

Drac I think you hit the nail on the head. Should a deaf person not be allowed to ride?

I see so many cyclists in London with their own blinkers on. They dont look back before manoeuvring. They dont look back for miles and miles and then they shit themselves when they hear something like a lorry behind them.

And Im pretty sure most motorists arent out to kill us.

I ride with one headphone in on the left ear but Id count on my sight and looking back more than hearing.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Drac. Thing with being in a car though is that you are in this tin box with lots of safety kit and people give you a bit of respect because they too are in a tin box with lots of safety kit. My bike doesn’t have mirrors like the car does.

I am finding this thread a bit of an eye opener..

miketually
    Free Member

My bike doesn’t have mirrors like the car does.

Well, there’s your problem then!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I never used to ride with music, but principally through fear of breaking my primary iPod. Since purchasing a cheapo Shuffle I’m more tempted.

Conversely, I never listen to music when I’m snowboarding. Too much scope for misunderstandings as people overtake/bail from any direction.

crikey
    Free Member

I ride with one in ear phone in my left ear, volume set low. Initially I was sceptical, thinking I would inevitably die, but it’s like having the radio on in the car; not especially distracting, and useful for those long dull training rides.

I did find out today that I’ve got the Spice Girls on my mp3 tho…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Accident victim's mother urges cyclists not to listen to music while they ride’ is closed to new replies.