Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • accents ; (possible TROLL like content )
  • grynch
    Free Member

ok , right off the top this is not a troll … altho I can see where to some it may have a troll like appearance. 🙂

accents_________________is it only people from “away” that have accents?

Mrs. and I just spent the weekend in Hertfordshire, and Mrs. ( from Buckinghamshire ) had to translate for me a few times. I have never thought my accent to be that strong ( a bit of Canadian, a bit of not so proper Bostonian ), but it got so I was afraid to talk at all for the dead pan looks I was getting.

Maybe it was just me, or perhaps my dashing good looks that left people speechless?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

😯

grynch
    Free Member

eh?; say again.

Stoner
    Free Member

I didnt think there was a “buckinghamshire” accent.

kinda666
    Free Member

You want to try havin a black country accent then?? And no i ay a brummie!

grynch
    Free Member

bucks, no.. not to my mind anyway.

but there was a break in communication between my US/Canadian accent and the locals round Sawbridgeworth ( Herts )

grynch
    Free Member

*L*

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Perhaps your todger was hanging out of your trousers

aP
    Free Member

Yow’m loffin arrus, am yow?

Moses

is it only people from “away” that have accents?

Yes. We recognise people who don’t speak like our day-to-day contacts.
    Tis funny how Brits who pride themselves on not having an accent, will suddenly pride themselves on having a nice English accent when they are in (say) the US.

hora
    Free Member

No offence to any Brummies here but some’ Brummies are really hard to understand. Guess its the same with Yorkshire (folk)

nickc

They were just pulling your leg. There’s a strong tradition of “Let’s wind up the foreigner” in Hertfordshire. It’s even the County motto: “Be thou fromst Lands O’er the Sea, expect n’ery a welcome in St Albans”….Probably. Either that, or they were impressed by your todger hanging out of your trousers

grynch
    Free Member

nickc, musta been wind up the foreigner then :- (

40mpg

I notice people with a Portsmouth accent, but then I’m from Southampton so not surprising!

smiffy

I didn’t think there was much of an accent in rural Hampshire until I moved away, now it sounds really strong, loik. Pompey always sounded really strong to me, the way they go “dayn the tayn an’ rayn th’ranynabayt onna fuchan mudderboik” but after 13 years the bumkins (loik oi wuz) sound just as different.

I haven’t started saying “tidy see, is it?” yet. much.

Drac

You want to try being Northumbrian.

40mpg

lol @ smiffy!

I work in london a lot, and do tend to accentuate moi ‘ampshire ‘aaaaccent when it suits, in negotiations loik 🙂 They feel sorry for me or fink i’m dumb or summink – til oi lands the deal

kinda666
    Free Member

As a yamyam i would probably say the brummie accent is easier to understand than black country one, and yes there is quite a big difference! Brummies have a larrrf and we have a laff! 😀

ourmaninthenorth

You want to try being Northumbrian

No thanks.

It’s bad enough being RP in this part of The North (Manchester), let alone *up there*.

MrSparkle

I’m from Bolton and moved a couple of miles up the road to Darwen and the change in accent is really pronounced. The locals say stuff like ‘Marrrs barr’ and ‘plaaaaster’

rOcKeTdOg

No offence to any Brummies here but some’ Brummies are really hard to understand. Guess its the same with Yorkshire

you are having a laugh right?

girls with accents (apart from ‘london’ are sooo sexy)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s because you stole Christmas.

lunge

It’s when accents mix that confuses people. I lived in New Zealand for a while and when i came home my accent was a strange mix of Brummy (where i’m from), Northamptonshire (where i went to uni) and Kiwi (where i lived). people really did not know what to make of it.

I also picked up all kinds of strange phrases the different area, saying “sweet as bro” to a bartender in the @rse end of Brum got me some very strange looks.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

You all have accents, if you ask me, but I’m from a land far, far away… 😉

rOcKeTdOg

which bit is the arse end of brum?

kinda666
    Free Member

All of it!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Jeremy Clarkson once described Birmingham as being like a bath:

‘nothing in the middle and a ring of scum round the outside’

It was a long time ago he said that

lunge

I think that particular bar was Scruffy’s in Dale End, though i may be wrong.

I live in Halesowen, so on the border of Yamyam and Brummy area.

kinda666
    Free Member

Yamyams rule and brummies drool! 😆

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘accents ; (possible TROLL like content )’ is closed to new replies.