Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Abusive & threatening driver – what to do or storm in a tea cup?
  • Kryton57

Before you ask, I’ve reported it to the police. However, they are telling me its his word against mine and unless and idependant witness steps forward to report it, its going nowhere.

Simple put, this guy tried to run me into the side of a bus in Epping High Street this morning. I can only assume he took objection to me riding past him in the traffic queue and entering the space in front of him as the car in front pulled forward.

After that, he pulls over as I pass makes much use of the “C” word whilst telling me he’s going to **** me up, that I look like a ****, I’ve been dressed by my mum etc (roadie in club lycra lol!). Whats worse is see him pull into a petrol station, so I think, sod this I’m going to report him so pull out my phone and take a snap of his car.

At which point he comes running across the forecourt fists waving, purple in the facing asking if I want a “row”, lots of C words shouting in my face, threatening gestures etc etc.

If you live in or near Epping this guy is in his sixties, chunky looking and driving a silver skoda yeti, wearing a blue pin stripe suit & tie, with a yellow handkerchief – you should let him know the local police are aware of all this.

TBH I feel hard done by, some other cyclist could be worse of by his actions, and the police aren’t going to do anything – so what next?

gogg
    Free Member

Sounds like a c*** as they say in those parts!

gogg
    Free Member

Driving a Yeti in Essex, I assume he didn’t have the wad for a Range Rover or an X5….

flange
    Free Member

Leaves you feeling awful doesn’t it, I end up replaying it over and over in my head for hours afterwards.

In my opinion (and its just that), he hasn’t caused you physical harm and despite ruining your morning no damage has been done. The fact is that afterwards you carried on with your ride in your happy world and he carried on being an angry fat bloater in a pinstripe suit. At some point he’ll kick off at someone that’ll fill him in properly, or he’ll have a heart attack…

….or knowing my luck he’ll drive home returning his elderly neighbours car before driving up to his mansion to spend the afternoon horizontal jogging with his bevvy of playboy girlfriends.

I know what you’re saying about him being a danger to others, but there’s little you can do so don’t let it ruin any more of your day

Kryton57

I think you are 100% right flange. It just grates that he’s got away with it, whereas I know if I’d have lumped him one I’d be sitting in the station now.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My initial response would have been to fight fire with fire, possibly escalating into a fight – so well done for not descending to that level.
    You have his car (& reg No?) so keep an eye out.

Although, as he came across to you, you would have had a decent case for self defence if you had lumped him one in fear of assault..

CheesybeanZ

The petrol station should have cctv , youve got the exact time on your photo so it won’t take long to check the footage .

Speshpaul

If this happen on or next to a petrol station forecourt chances are its or some of it is on cctv. Go and ask to see it. If it’s any good go back to the police

flange
    Free Member

Well, if it’s any help I only speak from experience. I have belted someone before and it didn’t end well.

He hasn’t really got away with it – he’s fat, old and wears a pinstripe suit on a saturday. Which means there’s every chance he’s also an Estate Agent. He’s been dealt a cruel hand and all the ‘C’ word using and arm waving in the world won’t change that. He’s got away with nothing….

flange
    Free Member

What will the Police do though? CCTV tends not to have sound so I doubt they’ll do anything based on footage of vigorous arm moving

flashpaul
    Free Member

The bus will have CCTV so there should be a record of the original incident

Kryton57

I was at the side of the road about 20 feet forward of the patrols station – not sure I’d be on the footage.

It’s funny how the mind works – he shouted at me “look how old you are you ****, your dressed like you think you are someone at your **** age” and it actually occurred to me at the time to ask him if he knew who Jens Voight is – Jens is the same age as me.

aa
    Free Member

Consider it this way, if it got you wound up, he’ll be sitting in a toby carvery ( or the Essex equivalent) right now absolutely seething with rage. He’ll get angrier and angrier. His weekend, no, his month of April will be ruined because he is inferior as a man and as a human.

Id have shouted”don’t have a heart attack old man”. I did that once, Mrs aa was NOT happy.

flange
    Free Member

You were trying to reason with an idiot. He will win on experience.

martinhutch

Methodist minister, probably. 🙂 I’d report it TBH, more for his protection, since he’s likely to keel himself over if he has anger management problems like that. And the next person he abuses could be not as nice as you.

plus-one

Well done on reporting it … I always do(if I get details) and yes it’s horrible knowing they’ve kinda
    Got away with it but any time I’ve reported an incident devoid of any witness the police still have a word ..

I know not quite the outcome hoped but hopefully the c**k driving may reign it in a bit ?

drlex
    Free Member

+1 for flange
    Next time, if you’re taking a pic, switch it to video instead and you might get something more interesting to show in the cop shop.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Not quite the same, but had the desired effect you might like to try next time.
    Driver turns up with a delivery (we both work for the same company) and decides he is not going to help me reload the lorry with goods for return as that is not his job. My reply was – So hey dude, I’m afraid to tell you we both work for the same boss and you WILL get your lazy fat a***e of that *****g lorry and do what you are supposed to do.
    Needless to say a shouty match ensued (I got my way) and he moaned about me back at distribution to anyone who would listen (apparently).
    Now the guy was a **** (he knows this cos I told him so – and his colleges also concur btw), but the best bit was it drove him nuts for days afterwards – haven’t seen the big bairn since – result!!!!
    Dont get mad or frustrated – get even I say

takisawa2

He’s a fat idle mouthy old turd mate.
    Smile, wave & ride on.
    Life’s too short.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You were trying to reason with an idiot. He will win on experience.

+1

Grab a mate
    Go to the pub
    Buy a beer (get him to buy you one)
    Tell him about the w***er you saw this morning
    laugh about it
    have another beer

Kryton57

Crikey that was quick. I’ve been summoned to the police station – they have something on CCTV.

gogg
    Free Member

They’re gonna nick you for harassing a senior citizen on a petrol station forecourt!!!

Remember the Hamiltons got pulled into Barkingside….

😉

Good luck!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

You did correctly and lets see what happens

We can all get angry from time to time but 2 ton of metal is not the place to get angry nor is it an appropriate way to throw your weight around.

DanW
    Free Member

Hope it all works out for you Kryton. Although no harm done, you do often wonder if a word from a nice policeman might help them think twice next time. Perhaps it wouldn’t but you’d like to think some people might take it onboard. Having just looked out of the kitchen window to see someone drive out of a junction without looking and almost T-Bone a cyclist you have to help these wonderful/ observant/ placid drivers where you can, for everyone’s benefit. Great there is CCTV to hopefully get a proper resolution!

I don’t like to judge people by appearances…

…but

…but

😀

this guy is in his sixties, chunky looking and driving a silver skoda yeti, wearing a blue pin stripe suit & tie, with a yellow handkerchief

nickjb
    Free Member

If the police are willing to take it further the bus will have a few cctv cameras on it if you have the time and number.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Ooh, let us know how it turns out, K57. Even if the plods just pop round to “have a word”, his impending MI might just arrive a little sooner. 😈

martinhutch

It won’t be a happy scene at the golf club/Rotary when his missus rings to tell him to come home.

allthepies
    Free Member

Perhaps the bloke is the director of a CCTV / video effects company.

😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Stuff like this bugs the hell out of you when it happens.

Last summer I was going around our local one way system. Coming up to a roundabout, so I’m in the middle of the two lanes as I want to turn right. Half way around the roundabout this fella overtakes me, with his kid in the front and passenger window down, shouting at me that I shouldn’t have been in the middle of the road. I tried to point out that would have been dangerous as I was turning right, and he started shouting more stuff, so I just muttered “Oh **** off”.

At this point he’s screaming at me “You f****g swearing at me in front of my kid you c**t?” (the irony appeared to be lost on him). I cut in front of him as he was trying to jam on the brakes in font of me, at which point he tried to ram me. Luckily I bunnyhopped up onto the pavement, and rode on.

Having just sprinted around the one way system I was struggling for breath, let alone have a row with him, so I rode down to the end of the road, and just stopped outside the local police station. Managed to blow a kiss at him as he drove past.

Knowing that yiu are inthe right, and fool like this are totally wrong winds you up no end. I’d love to see hi again when there is no kid in the front and I am a little less “blowing out of my 4rse” 😀

Sounds like you did the right thing, and you just have to remember that these people are a minority on the road.

bob_summers

Last time I was riding through Epping I got piss bottled.

Anyway who made him the fashion police? Yellow handkerchief? You should have told him Lord Alan Sugar wears Lycra. That’d have burst his balloon.

nealglover
    Free Member

You should have told him Lord Alan Sugar wears Lycra.

If I ever use Alan Sugar to justify a clothing choice, I will consider the argument lost and walk away quietly. 😉

bob_summers

I was approaching it from the estate agent’s angle! I guess Jens Voigt would nt carry the same weight…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Waste of police time…….a swift kick to the bollox usually calms them down a lot.

mooman
    Free Member

In his sixties or not .. it would have cost him a tooth or two.

psling
    Free Member

Well, I reckon K57 is in deep poo. From the description I’d say he’s just had a run in with a mason and he reported it to the police! Don’t think we’ll be seing him on here again for a while… 😯

On the other hand, in a Yeti he may have been a ToB official 😉

singletrackmind

It is in situations like these that a good dose of pepper spray in his face would rain on his parade and offer the cyclist enough time to remove themselves from the situation.
    Shame its illegal afaik .

DanW
    Free Member

Treated the same as gun offences is it not? I don’t think I’d start going around pepper spraying people however much of a raging, tubby estate agent the guy might have been 😉

MoreCashThanDash

If other people have reported the guy and the Police now have some CCTV of the recent incident, they may well be keen to have a word in his shell like – quick and easy case to report and solve and hit a 100% clean up rate (possibly cynical, I know….)

Nobby

Blimey Kryton, must be the day for it:

Nobby – Member

I nearly got taken out by a psycho earlier who, during the frank discussion we had, said he’d done it because he’s sick of “you bloody cyclists causing delays on my road”. We had the ‘road tax’ debate – I won – and as I was turning to leave I suggested driving like that could kill someone. His response……”I hope so”.

Stupidly, I didn’t stick his reg no on my phone so when I ran the local Police they weren’t interested as I didn’t have that info despite descriptions of him, his vehicle and the address where he turned into. I popped up there in my car earlier but there was no sign of his poxy Prius but I guess it could be in the garage – what I didn’t expect was 2 separate properties at the end of the driveway.

I’ve emailed further up the food chain to see what response I get.

Kryton57

Blimey Nobby, I hope you get yours sorted. Mines got quite serious…

So, the police know they can get the CCTV/number plate id system to get the cars address, and images of the altercation as apparently the exit to the forecourt – where I was standing – is covered by camera. They are going to pop around and have a word. They will give him two choices:

A) a community order – basically my statement which he confirms by signature that he was guilty and apologies for his behaviour. He’ll then be given some advice from the PC about how to deal with such issues in the future. This goes on his record permanently and any other altercation results in instant arrest. Basically a formal warning under caution.

B) they can arrest him for suspected dangerous driving and a public order offence – abusive and threatening behaviour -which will then go through the standard prosecution process.

Refusal to do a) automatically results in b). Having any previous similar offences also results in b) immediately. I’ve been told that even if the town centre CCTV shown me in the wrong from a traffic regs perspective this does not change the above as he should not have reacted on the way he did.

Looks like he’ll get a good reason not to do it to anyone else in the future.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Abusive & threatening driver – what to do or storm in a tea cup?’ is closed to new replies.