Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Absolute Black Oval Chainrings – anyone use them?
  • dannybgoode

Looking at fitting some compact chainrings to my SRAM cranks however as they are thoroughly unfashionable 10sp ones OEM SRAM chainrings are hard to come by.

However, the AB oval ones will fit but are they any good? I am old enough to remember Shimano Biopace oval rings which were all the rage until someone decided they were pointless and everyone went back to round rings. Now oval rings seem to be making a comeback but are they any good?

Anything to make my life on the hills easier!!

whitestone
    Free Member

Yep, have had them on a couple of bikes for about four years now. Last fairly well as well, I get a couple of years out of each.

Poopscoop

I only fit oval rings now and they have all been AB ones I think. They are great, forget biopace, modern ovals are the exact opposite principle to them.

The AB site has a good explanation of the concept.

I use them to help with my dodgy knees.

scaredypants

Biopace were supposedly the wrong orientation – made the weak bit harder and the strong bit easier

Modern ones have sorted that out but people say they work best either for people (like me) who are mashers and don’t have a very even pedal stroke or else (like me) who have sore old knees. They don’t make it easier if you’re good

I do use them and I quite like them but I can’t prove they’re actually doing anything “better”. Only get ’em when you’re replacing anyway is what I’d say

chrismac

I’ve been using them for about 4 years now. First thing I change in any bike

johnnystorm

Yep, had a couple of AB rings. Used one on the Tour Divide. Everything else from my drive train went in the bin on my return but the AB ring lives on!

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Been using oval AB rings for years now. Great quality also great customer service if you ever chat with them.

13thfloormonk

I like them but I think I mostly just use them now for fear that my knees will freak out if I go back to round!

This summer will be the acid test, there’s no oval option for my 2x GRX cranks so back to round it will be!

didnthurt

They’re great for singlespeeding (fits in with the gear masher brief).

Wiggins and Froome both won the tour de france on oval (well technically elliptical) chainrings so they must be decent.

There is all sorts of different positions out there too (clocking, I think it’s called) but AB ones seem to about right IMO.

didnthurt

Maybe I’m imagining it but has the price of chainrings got cheaper, the ones I looked at seem good value.

https://uniteco.bike/shop/components/chainrings/oval-sram-direct-mount-chainring/

Well for alloy ones, the stainless ones are fair bit pricier. They’d probably outlive your frame though.

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/wolf-tooth-components-camo-stainless-steel-oval-chainring-p348870

Northwind

AB are a terrible company tbh but the rings are alright. Retention isn’t great from new but they do last better than most so it evens out.

andrewh
    Free Member

Not tried the rings but their sprockets didn’t last very long, got two 24hr races out of them and that’s it.

monkeyp

The Garbaruk ones are very good. Seem to last ages and nicely made with really long teeth to keep the chain on

whitestone
    Free Member

Retention isn’t great from new

Had absolutely (sic) zero problems with retention with mine. Obviously N=1 on both sides.

krixmeister

Been using AB since whenever – several years. Have on all my MTBs, but not on my road bikes. Contrary to what AB says, I think they are better for lower-cadence pedalling than higher cadences.

I continue to support the company and like their products, but their customer service has gone downhill a bit the last couple of years. Order from a bike shop vs direct from manufacturer if you can, as their shipping times and stock maintenance seem to have gotten particularly bad.

Northwind

whitestone
    Free Member

Had absolutely (sic) zero problems with retention with mine

I think it’s probably fair to say they’re the only n/w ring I’ve lost a chain off when still within the first few hundred miles, ever. I wouldn’t call it problematic, it’s just not up there with the very best (which considering where tehy position themselves, it probably ought to be). In fact I don’t think it’s even up there with the cheapo chinese Snail I have, though in fairness that probably just means that that Snail chose a good product to rip off.

I think all narrow/wides are basically good these days, it’s a well trodden road so I’m being very picky.

13thfloormonk

I think it’s probably fair to say they’re the only n/w ring I’ve lost a chain off when still within the first few hundred miles, ever

Am very pleased with my Garbaruk 1x, but I dropped a chain off it on one of my first rides, have never done since. These things just happen it seems!

Just wish AB would get their fingers out and make some oval 46/30 for GRX cranks. I could even be persuaded to shell out for the oil slick ones… 😎

DezB
    Free Member

Have em on my Dura Ace cranks on my Tripster. Smooth shifting and long lasting. Shifting not relevant if you’re 1x p, obv.

birdage

Had them for a fair few years on mtbs and been faultless. Recently put some sub compact rings on my tripster, 2x with a clutch mech. Marmite looks-wise and stupid price but again faultless to date!

asbrooks

I have them on both of my bikes and like them.

I concur with scaredypants’comments

dc1988

I’ve been running a Sram mount one for years, only ever lost a chain once and it’s still going strong so has been well worth the little extra it cost me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Absolute Black Oval Chainrings – anyone use them?’ is closed to new replies.