Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Absence makes the heart grow fonder…
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And running makes the legs grow stronger!

First evening ride on my local hills for about 6 months, lost my motivation to ride for the first time in 15 years, and it was awesome! Spent the winter running instead, and my bike fitness has had a massive boost thankfully, climbing better than ever and cranking the pedals through the flowy stuff, I have way more power and stamina than before – being over a couple of stone lighter is obviously helping too!

Great night for it, awesome views, could even see Ben Cruachan in the distance tonight, Paps of Jura and the Merrick too. Braw.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/K6ZtP7]Fairlie nights…[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rob likes this 👍

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As dry as I’ve seen the locals in a long time, great to see the 2 tracks we built last year in the glen are being ridden, and are still brilliant!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25SgfSp]Fairlie nights…[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25SgfT6]Fairlie nights…[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

richmtb

Nice one Greg.  I’ll need to get back down to the shire and have another go at Fairlie and Kelburn

Although fair warning, I haven’t been running all winter!

SaxonRider

Nice one, OP! I understand your exhilaration. Well deserved for the hard work.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yer welcome any time Mr G!

hooli

Nice photos, few better things than a sunny evening, dusty trails and finishing a ride in a pub garden.

Funny enough, I don’t find the fitness thing applies to me. I can be running fit but suffer on the bike (lungs are fine but nothing left in my legs). I can also be cycling fit but struggle with running (legs are OK but cant get enough air in). I can also be reasonably running and cycling fit and I struggle playing 5 a side with the sprinting and changing direction.

renton
    Free Member

Fair play OP !

Its amazing how losing a bit of weight and getting a bit fitter makes you feel on the bike, Im finding that its easier and I actively loo for stuff to play on now too !

w00dster

Seeing photo’s were other people live and their local rides makes me very jealous!

Really need to leave the Midlands!

I get the losing the motivation aspect. I’ve lost my mojo in terms of racing. Still been riding, generally just pottering about but only when the sun’s shining. Woburn, Thetford and Cannock are my regular trails – not the most inspiring.

Got to talk Mrs W to move somewhere with views like the OP.

LittleNose
    Free Member

nice going on getting back out there… must be nice coming back to it and finding it easier than expected !

fergal
    Free Member

It’s the way forward, i usually start running in the hills around christmas,  or as soon as the trails become slop.

A lot of anecdotal evidence out there that running doesn’t improve mtb fitness, this is usually based on people running on the flat, trail/fell running works wonders!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Absence makes the heart grow fonder…’ is closed to new replies.