Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • About to splash out on a singletrack mag subscription – worth it?
  • allyharp

I'm getting a bit worried about all this "premier content" business.

I'm sure they won't let it detract from the mag itself; but I do think it'll encroach on what we already get here online as they try and charge for things that were previously free – the news, reviews and trail guides etc 😕

miketually
    Free Member

I do think it'll encroach on what we already get here online as they try and charge for things that were previously free – the news, reviews and trail guides etc

It's just loads of photos of Mark pulling funny faces*

*it's not really

BigJohn

I should have got the clue when the new editions started popping through the letter box before I'd finished the last one. Then I started throwing the mag down in disgust when I read yet another review where they marked a bike as excellent even when all the testers hated it (apparently it dawned on them what kind of riding it would be perfect for after they sent it back). Then there was the time they put some wider bars on a bike and it made all the difference…

Sorry, my blood pressure's too high to carry on…

chipps

The edition just full in interviews, earlier this year, was very annoying and if that happens again, I'll be cancelling my sub (are you reading this STW ?, Ed ?)

Yes I am reading. And hopefully part of our uniqueness is that we do listen – and that our readers have a direct line back to the editorial staff for suggestions and criticism. I don't see many other magazine staff members doing that on other magazines. As for the interview issue, that was an experiment – it wasn't popular, so we won't be doing it again. You get your wish.

I should have got the clue when the new editions started popping through the letter box before I'd finished the last one

Are you really complaining that it takes you more than six weeks to read every issue? 🙂

We do listen to suggestions and, where possible we run stories sent in by readers too. All part of the 'If you don't like the magazine, then let us know what you would like' approach. My email is in the magazine, as is the phone number of everyone here and all our readers are welcome to get in touch.

In terms of Premier content, we're not going to start charging for things that you're used to getting for free. What we're going to try to do with this is to give you even more stuff. Kind of like a DVD Extra disc, so you get the deleted scenes, the Directors' Cut and lots of extra bits and pieces.

We do want all our readers to like what they read in the magazine, that's why we all work silly hours, late nights and weekends to try to get everything finished as best as we can. At the end of the day, we're making this up as we go along, so we're always up for suggestions.

Cheers
    Chipps

BigJohn

Hi Chipps. I used to love it, maybe it changed, maybe I changed, but the mag doesn't speak to me any more. But I don't think I'm really in your target demographic so I wish you success.

flatback
    Free Member

lots of negativity about, i like the mag and have enjoyed several articles and stories about places i will never go and things i am not going to do, eg some of the sleeping under the stars stories, but mostly a good read, would like a few more reviews on anything really i like to read opinions on stuff i might buy,and rides in this country or europe i might go and do
    didnt like the interview edition and the photo edition they used to do,but i view the editions i dont like as a kind of subscription to the forum which keeps me amused in work

ton

i would like to apologise for my outburst at the start of this thread.
    obviously what i said was not fact, just a bad case of trolling.
    infact out of all the magazines available, st mag is pretty good.

ton.

blackhat
    Free Member

At one time it really was on the money, but bit by bit I found more and more articles to skip, (a trend which has reversed last month). I think there have been just a few too many tenuous links for articles beyond the search for a niche this year. (Also, for the STW editorial team, do you think you give the kit for testing to the right people? – too many tests seem to find fault with kit, and then finish with a "but if you do this…." line – when, if I've read the mag close enough, I know one of the other writers probably has a greater affinity to "this").

But I still buy it more months than not and I buy it more often than the other monthlies. I won't be going premium as that just doesn't seem right.

So, all in all, subs aren't bad value, but don't be surprised if you leave a couple half read.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘About to splash out on a singletrack mag subscription – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.