Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • About to go on my last ride ever………
  • senorj

…..with no responsilities ,
    as it looks like I’ll be a daddy by the weekend !! 😀

Interested to know how late people left their last ride
    and how soon you started again after the new arrival.
    Anyone nearly missed the birth while riding?

mjsmke

The next day?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

While my wife & boy were still in hospital. No point in sitting around at home doing nothing when it’s not visiting times. So made the most of it!

teamslug
    Free Member

My lad was an elective caesarian so i knew date and time beforehand. Went out day before but was a couple of weeks afterwards….and hope it all goes well for you all.

freeridenick
    Free Member

went night riding the following night I think. she was on the ward, so not much I could do anyway!

You can ride right up to due date, first one always takes a while to pop…
    plenty of time to get to hospital.

kimbers

probably a couple of weeks before

as i commute by bike i was certainly cycling agin soon

my tip would be sync google calendars with the missus and get any trips away in there months in advance
    so that she can notfiy her parents and they can come and get some quality time with their grandchild while you get some riding in

Bagstard
    Free Member

I was playing at Woburn sands jump park and got a call from my wife to say her waters had broken. I was at the top of the hill, so obviously had to do a last run to the bottom.

mtbfix

Kiddy was born on a November morning and I went out the following day as there was nothing that I could add the following morning with mum and baby asleep in hospital. It was a very foggy day in the woods that day but I remember it well.

All the best for the looming birth.

scaled
    Free Member

I got sent out on my bike loads during my paternity leave, Mrs Scaled had it all under control and i was just making the place look untidy 😀

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mates and I had a ‘celebratery’ weekend in Afan just after ours was born. Apparently, she has never forgotten ooooops LOL

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I was in Kielder forest, hour’s drive from home, and an hour’s ride back to the cars, with no phone reception, the day before my missus went into labour. When she did, it only took 3 1/2 hours, so in theory, I could have missed it…

Was out riding again 2 days later as the sunwas shining (and I had a house full of in-laws)

not taking any chances this time round. 3 1/2 weeks to go till due date.

falkirk-mark

when the ambulancemen are on the path

Edit, wrong ride I think

geoffj

My lad was an elective caesarian

Too posh to push? 😉

All this talk of riding, I’d be working on getting some sleep credits built up TBH – you is gonna need em 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I think I did a ride the day before our boy came along, but only a quick local loop with the mobile on and strict instructions to head back as soon as there was any “movement”.
    On the whole I reckon I did far more riding in the first 6 months of my son’s life than I do now he’s three. Not that I didn’t help out or anything but he slept loads so I scheduled rides around nap times. Now he’s so much more active we’re loads busier so it’s a bit more difficult but he loves to come along too on the bike seat now.

Hope all goes well…. you’re gonna love it. Big responsibilities but so much joy.

rocketman
    Free Member

Was there at the birth of both of ours but definitely went riding the following evening what do you expect it was midsummer. As above there isn’t really anything to do until they come home.

Remember showing rocket jr round the house and he started crying when I showed him my bikes

neninja
    Free Member

Not a bicycle ride but I did a motorcycle track day 2 days before the birth of our first child.

My mum was less than impressed, my wife was cool with it.

honourablegeorge

senor j – Member

My mate got the call while out on the hill. He finished the ride, went for a pint, and made his way to the hospital.

senorj

Thanks for the kind wishes.
    Just back from a lovely trot around north chilterns.
    Thai takeaway ,Thai beer and the olympics.
    Lovely day .

john-charles
    Free Member

My little girl was born on the 21st August, I bought my new bike on the 19th and was out for a spin in between.

(I like to think of them as twins).

Good luck with it all, you’ve got a lot to look forward to.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Eleven years on from the birth of daughter and I can now leave her in bed in the morning and go for a dawn raid on the local roads. I am never more than three miles from the house but being able to knock out 20 miles before breakfast is great and all without the faff of a babysitter.
    Your riding will be fine as long as your partner is a good one. Mine on the other hand fecked off and left me holding the baby so my riding time was destroyed.

br
    Free Member

Good luck J, hope all goes well, and ride while she’s resting in hospital – sorry not around to buy you a pint.

Remind me to text you pictures from next weeks’ Glen Coe ride 🙂

mashiehood
    Free Member

mashiehood jr will be here shortly, due date is the 7 Aug! cant wait. hoping riding plans wont change too much, I have a ride penciled in for Fri afternoon! 😀

cloudnine
    Free Member

Good luck with the birth as its one of the craziest, weirdest and magical days of your life. Just do not under any circumstances look as the baby is coming out. Oh and this…

mamadirt
    Free Member

It was probably just after I bought my first MTB – 5 months 😕 .

The week after Warren was born (was I a bad Mother? 😕 )

Funnily enough, no 😆

Best of luck to all the family . . . enjoy!!!! 😛

jambalaya
    Free Member

You’ll have time for a couple of decent rides after the birth before the wife comes home from hospital.

You can think of this as the eye of a storm, everything will be calm and quiet, the house empty. Enjoy it as it’ll not be like that again for possibly 25 years. All that aside good luck, you are doing an amazing thing creating new life.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

LOL at cloudnine,my number one had a projectile poop habit 😉

yunki
    Free Member

big LOL at cloud nine..

I am there right now.. with a 5 month old sleeping angelically in front of me as I type, just building up his strength for the next assault..

I was very considerate and probably didn’t ride for about a month before our first, certainly nowhere too remote anyway..

Once we’d gotten into a bit of routine though I rode more than I have done since I was a kid..

You know that much loved ‘new baby smell’…? well, as far as I can tell, that smell is the mild scent of amniotic fluid that your child’s skin absorbed, leaking gently and minutely out into the atmosphere on the breeze occasionally, like certain flowers on warm summer evenings..
    Taking a big strong gutsy snort of a brand new baby, still dripping womb goo, does NOT have the same effect..

senorj

been busy for a while…. as you might imagine……we have a lovely healthy boy born August 03!!!
    very happy and nearly as tired……. 😀

Kryton57

Congratulations Senor J!

neilc1881
    Free Member

Congratulations, our second was born on the 31st of July so am in a similar position. To answer your initial question/post, I was on the bike the day before (Mrs was in being induced) and the day after (well Wednesday night is night-ride night). On the day would have been pushing it as there were sheep to go round and some painting to do on the house…

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

welcome to the club mines 2 1/2 now and champing at the bit to come out with me on the bike just need a new bike and bike seat(oh what a problem to have) 😆

br
    Free Member

sorry forgot to text you, but here’s a picture 🙂

julians
    Free Member

I went riding on the due date, it was pretty obvious nothing was going to happen that day.

baby was born on the tuesday, I was back out on my bike as normal the following saturday, I havent really missed any biking due to having a baby

stumpy01

Woah! Many congratulation J…i’ll let George know. He’s off back to Ciclo next month, but I will be sat on a beach with my other half in Turkey….

Once again – many congrats…Keith

mashiehood
    Free Member

Damn it ours is overdue – cant wait 😀

teadrinker
    Free Member

Congratulations Senior J on the impending arrival, I can offer no words of wisdom I’m afraid but I am in the same boat, our little one is due on Thursday. I have know idea what to expect but I am so excited on the next chapter in our lives 😀

senorj

nice one all.
    thanks for that pic br – I’ll have to make do with the chilterns for a bit.
    keith – have fun in turkey – say hello to G.

I’ve got the m.in law down now ,so have been out a couple of times. hurrah.

best of luck to those expecting – it’s great when baba comes – never known love like it!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘About to go on my last ride ever………’ is closed to new replies.