About the Bird Zero TR…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • About the Bird Zero TR…
  • ossify

My new bike will be my only mtb, a do everything hardtail to last me a long time.

As I’ve fallen in love with the Bird Zero TR, persuade me that this is in fact the bike for me πŸ˜€

Why I’m not sure is that the TR is marketed as a trail centre specific bike, which is only a small part of my riding.

I’ll be using it for:
    Natural trails mainly (based in Manchester so mostly Peak District)
    Trail Centres but not that often
    Pootling and/or bimbling
    Trying out local enduro or XC races, for fun
    Maybe bigger stuff like ‘Ard Rock when I get fitter/better πŸ˜›

Other questions for TR owners:

I like to play around, (small!) bunnyhops, jumps, manuals, nose wheelies etc, does the long/low/slackness of this bike hinder this?
    In other words, does the stability hinder the chuckability πŸ˜‰

How is it on tight narrow switchbacky singletrack, for example?

Sure I had plenty more specific questions but can’t remember them now, oh well.

ossify

Does no one have this bike, or am I just asking stupid questions? πŸ˜›

I understand any bike can be used for anything to an extent, but the “this is designed for trail centres” had me not sure if it’ll be the best tool for other kinds of riding.

jfb01

The people to ask are Bird.I have had queries when thinking of buying one of their frames.I contacted them by email & phone & was very impressed with the clarity & honesty of the replies I received.

ossify

Makes sense, was going to try them but was hoping for unbiased input from folk who actually have one as well. Have only heard good things about Bird’s customer service.

I have a Zero AM. It’s a great bike but it is long and the TR is even longer. What’s your current bike?

deviant

The long, low, slack thing is a movement to what people seem to enjoy more these days, namely descending and riding tech stuff….there are more XC orientated bikes out there for pure mile munching.

Yes, nose wheelies, manuals etc are more difficult…easily the easiest bike to do these on is a BMX which by MTB standards is short, has a high BB and steep HA…but you will adapt again and they’ll become doable even if not as easy as in previous bikes.

The natural stuff you ride is often more technical than trail centre stuff…i enjoy a day at BPW but none of it is impossible to ride whereas I can cycle 10mins up the road to Brechfa forest, go off piste and easily find natural stuff that will leave me flummoxed and is clearly in Danny MacAskill territory, just because they’re saying it’s built for trail centres doesn’t mean it will be boring everywhere else, if anything trail centres tend to be sanitized compared to natural stuff…it will be ideal for your days in the peaks.

Pootling and bimbling can be done on any MTB, I wouldn’t worry about that.

The odd XC race you talk about would be the only concern, with a long-ish fork, circa 65 degree HA and the weight of an all-mountain build it won’t be the best tool…if it’s just the odd race it wouldn’t bother me (see it as a challenge, how many lightweight carbon offerings can you overtake for example) but if I was racing XC every week I’d want a dedicated bike.

You can say the above about any Enduro/trail/AM/whatever term is fashionable this week bike designed with slack and stable geo, it doesn’t make them bad bikes but they aren’t designed for anything in specific these days….think of them as jack-of-all-trades bikes and you won’t go far wrong, they’re designed to pedal reasonably well (but not as efficiently as an XC bike), descend fairly well (but not as well as a DH bike) and take drops and jumps fairly well (but not as well as a freestyle or slopestyle bike)…they are the one-size-fits-all MTB, the comfy middle ground for the riding most people may encounter on a day out…the bike to get if you only want one bike in the shed, which actually sounds perfect as you started your post by saying it will be your only MTB!

jaylittle

I bought a Zero TR in October. Wasn’t sure about going 1×11 as my fitness isn’t great but really enjoy getting out on it. Went for the basic model with a few changes and added a dropper post. Haven’t ridden my full susser since getting it.
    Its a very capable bike.
    Service from Bird was amazing.

Premier Icon gkeeffe
    Subscriber

I have an original zero in large and live in M21 if you want to try one for size. My son rides it and loves it.

Premier Icon Dansk1
    Subscriber

Got a zero TR and it’s brilliant.

Length can be a problem on really tight stuff, but it’s rare. Happily used mine round dark peak and similar, but long days on it can be a bit of a killer, so I normally use it for shorter fun stuff or winter riding.

Get a 2.4 out back, every little helps.

I’ve had a Mk1 Zero for 2.5 years. The geometry I think is a bit different to the new models, but won’t be far off. I ride mostly steep natural trails and it’s a blast on those. As it also is at trail centres. I’ve been down the World Cup track at Nevis Range on it, which didn’t trouble it (different story for the pilot in places mind). I have never found it lacking agility.

Given that their first attempt is a superb bike, I don’t see why either of the tweaked versions wouldn’t be equally good or better. On top of that, they are a really good company to deal with.

ossify

Thanks all πŸ™‚

if anything trail centres tend to be sanitized compared to natural stuff

Which is what I was concerned about – it could be great for swooping down a set of berms but not so good at more techy natural stuff, glad to hear otherwise

The TR version looks like a barge; the AM looks like a better bike TBH.

I have a zero a.m, built it up about a year ago and it’s been a belter of a bike. Loves B.P.W, and is in it’s element on the steeper more technical natural stuff. The length is not an issue on tight turns and still feels quite ‘flickable’ once you have adapted to it. It definitely felt a bit stuck to the floor and more of a high speed bomber than my old chameleon, it isn’t as nimble or precise at lower speeds but once up to speed or in the steep and tech it comes alive. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t use it for more pedally rides, I do use mine for that but it does feel a bit more sluggish than the chameleon.
    The t.r is the more x.c/trail oriented bike and being lighter may suit your needs a bit better than the a.m. It is a longer bike, but you could always drop down a size to counter this.
    You’re welcome to try my large a.m if you happen to be in the forest of dean any time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘About the Bird Zero TR…’ is closed to new replies.