Abandoning the car… (sorry, snow content)

• This topic has 52 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by  donks.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Abandoning the car… (sorry, snow content)
  • Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

So, I’m coming up the hill, on my way back home and there’s this bloody Boxster blocking the road. So me and 2 other drivers get out and push him, then I push the other 2 and I’m left there knowing my stupid great estate won’t budge.
    No help so have to leave it on a fairly main road.

Should I go back with a shovel and try (probably in vain looking at how hard the snowfall is now) to move it? Or leave it there?
    What’s the done thing?

fasthaggis

Is it safe to leave it?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Well, it’s just in the way. It’s not dangerous.

Jamie

The only problem is if someone dings it, and then pisses off.

If it was me I would try and move it.

b r

The only problem is if someone dings it, and then pisses off.

If it was me I would try and move it.

And damage it yourself…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Yeah, thought about that, theres a distinct possibility of someone skidding and hitting it.
    Decided not to give a shit.

zokes

Yeah, I’d just leave it in everyone else’s way

trail_rat

have you tried going back in the direction from whence you came ? – ie with gravity on your side.

then get it out the road ….. id be mega pissed if some **** had left his car in the middle of the road and left.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Actually, what I think is probably happening now is that cars are coming up behind it, having to wait to get past because of the traffic coming down the hill and then getting stuck themselves.
    If I go back now I reckon there will be about 5 abandoned cars there 😆

Jamie

And damage it yourself…

Well, you’ll get nowhere with that attitude, mister.

zokes

Hmmm. poor troll.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

have you tried going back in the direction from whence you came ?
    Yes, not enough grip to do a U turn. Rolling backwards not an option.

id be mega pissed if some **** had left his car in the middle of the road and left.
    Me too.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Who the **** is trolling?

andrewh

Actually, what I think is probably happening now is that cars are coming up behind it, having to wait to get past because of the traffic coming down the hill and then getting stuck themselves.
    If I go back now I reckon there will be about 5 abandoned cars there

Lots of people to help push then 🙂

zokes

The OP querying of an internet forum whether or not it’s OK to dump their car somewhere because they can’t drive in the snow

Jamie

Hmmm. poor troll.

It seems troll is going the way of awesome 🙁

trail_rat

Rolling backwards not an option

oh i see – the car doesnt have a reverse gear ….. is it infact a motorcycle ?

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Just leave it – the Polis will move it for you and put it somewhere safe*
    there may be a charge for this service

Oh and which of the colour coded weather warnings we’ve been bombarded with over the past couple of days did you not understand 😉

HTH

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

This is either a troll or someone is hard of thinking.

You’ve blocked one side of a “fairly main road” and your asking if you should try and move it.

I suppose you had nothing in the car to help you out even though the snow has been forecast for days

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Got some help now. So I’ve made the decision with the help from wonderful STW.
    Thanks to all and the wonderful, useful information from the man calling himself “ZOKES”. Well done fella

i’ve got a bag of grit and a spade in my car, where are you dezzy? i’ll come and save you!

(note: if you’re not in reading i wont come and save you you selfish sideburned monster!)

Jamie

@DezB.

If you want to silence the doubters, then take some pictures when you go collect the car*

*or it didn’t happen.

zokes

Thanks to all and the wonderful, useful information from the man calling himself “ZOKES”. Well done fella

Glad to see you took my advice.

I had always wondered who these people were who abandoned their vehicles when their driving and observational skills fail them. Now I know.

grantway

If insured then be realistic

Last year a large number of cars were abandoned on main A road round here. All got fines, some were towed away.

Last year a large number of cars were abandoned on main A road round here. All got fines, some were towed away.

If they can be towed away they can be driven away – assuming that it’s snow and ice and not mechanical failure here.

I can’t help with your question, but I’m feeling a bit smug this morning and thought I’d make the most of it.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Because 10mm of slush NEEDS studded tyres…

bigyinn

MTG your bike is FILTHY! Sort it out!

trail_rat

“Because 10mm of slush NEEDS studded tyres… “

no but apparently the english media needs to make a song and dance about the 10mm.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

MTG your bike is FILTHY! Sort it out!

Be fair, he’s cleaned the rear hub.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Because 10mm of slush NEEDS studded tyres…

Looks like a SS so probably yes, I had bugger all traction on mine this morning.

i’m with trail rat – WTF are yu worrying about down there FFS……….?

Reminds me of when I lived in Lincoln. We had an inch or two of snow, there were 4*4s abandoned all over the only hill in the place – I simply drove straight up the hill in my clapped out fiesta much to the annoyance of others. Another Scottish guy in a mini did the exact same.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Car’s back, got a tow. Going back to help clear the road now.
    It was chaos, but not caused by mine!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I had always wondered who these people were who abandoned their vehicles when their driving and observational skills fail them. Now I know.

Yeah, me too. But if you read my OP, you’ll might deduce why I got stuck.

monkey_boy

im in the same boat but rather than try and go up the hill in front of me i pulled into a bus stop out of the way of main traffic 😉

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Did you try putting carpet/blankets under the wheels? If it’s just a case of getting moving (assuming the other cars were going up as well)then that usualy works.

Snow chains work nicely.

Even a rope tied around the wheels works quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4u4SX9M1tQ

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Shovel to dig out little tracks to get you moving
    Pump so you can let tyres down and re-inflate later.
    Bits of carpet

Keep em in the car when it’s snowy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Abandoning the car… (sorry, snow content)’ is closed to new replies.