Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Aaron Gwin Signs With Specialized…
  • edd

Surprising but then with Sam Hill gone to CRC I guess it was inevitable that Specialized made a big signing.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Aaron-Gwin-Signs-With-Specialized-Video.html%5B/url%5D

dawson

Trek are barmy to let him go, Spesh must have offered a big chunk of money!

Coyote
    Free Member

How did I miss the Sam Hill to CRC!

The season is starting to look interesting already.

fbk
    Free Member

Never known a season like it for team changing. This year should be a cracker 🙂

edd

dawson – my guess is that Trek had very little say in the matter. I suspect that Specialized turned up with a cheque so large that it was unfeasible for Trek to match it. Don’t forget that in August 2012 Gwin signed for another three years with Trek:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Aaron-Gwin-on-Trek-for-3-More-Years.html

sillyoldman

So…. who are Trek going to fill that void with?

twohats
    Free Member

Minnaar.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Waits for the call from trek…..

Any number of potential riders no consistent top 3 riders though

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Spesh must have offered a big chunk of money!

And a 29er….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is no thread safe from having a 29r rammed down your neck….. 😆

WackoAK
    Free Member

who are Trek going to fill that void with?

According to a cryptic team rumours cartoon it will be Brook MacDonald.

tomaso
    Free Member

Greg Minaar would be a nice safe choice and some one young and faaast too.

Specialized haven’t won for a while so if they can bag half as many wins as Gwin got Trek last year it would be a start. Lets hope he gets on with the Spesh bike, but I imagine the entire race paddock thinks the complete opposite and would like the playing field leveled.

wrecker
    Free Member

What a mercenary!
    I shall laugh my balls off if he stops winning.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bloody hell, so the rumours were true.

Cheeky way to break the news…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=42DncXWQkxc[/video]

atlaz
    Free Member

Don’t forget that in August 2012 Gwin signed for another three years with Trek

Wonder how he got out of that. Can’t have been performance related as he’s won plenty. Maybe they bought him out.

jam-bo

Wonder how he got out of that.

money.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I guess Gwin will have had to pay a penalty to get out, which Spesh will have compensated him for.

Seems like a decent guy so I would imagine they must’ve doubled his pay to get him to break the contract.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Seems like Trek are not letting him go without a fight and that he had signed a 3 year deal with Trek first.

chakaping
    Free Member

Martin Whiteley is not a happy bunny…

“The last several weeks have been a very difficult period for our company as owners of the Trek World Racing program. Despite the fact that on August 9 of last year, Aaron Gwin signed a legally binding Letter Of Intent with our team for the next three seasons, his agent wrote an email to the team in mid-December stating he had decided to race for another bike brand. Mr Gwin confirmed his agreement with our team in public statements, and he and his agent repeatedly confirmed the existence of, and commitment to, the agreement in written correspondence with us. Yet, only weeks before the team was required to submit the official team roster to UCI, Mr Gwin informed the team that he was abandoning TWR in total disregard of his contractual obligations.

The team reached out on several occasions in December in order to try and remedy whatever concerns Mr Gwin had, but these were ignored until the team received a letter from his Attorneys on December 27 stating he would not ride for our team. In the interests of the team and our sponsors, we are actively pursuing all options open to us at this point, including legal action, and remain completely surprised by Mr Gwin’s unprofessional actions.

Team Director Martin Whiteley says: “This has not been an easy time for us. In the bigger picture however I find positivity in the fact that the Trek World Racing program will continue regardless of the outcome of this dispute, as no single rider is bigger than the team as a whole. Every rider who has been on our Downhill program has had the best years of their career with us, and we will continue to bring on talented riders. The team has a history of helping riders win who had not previously won, including Aaron Gwin. It’s our intention to continue that type of record with new talent. I would personally like to acknowledge the complete support and loyalty we’ve received from our title sponsor Trek Bikes who have been unwavering in their commitment to the program since this news broke. In the interests of the fans, we hope this matter will be resolved sooner rather than later”.

Coyote
    Free Member

Oh, I didn’t realise he was breaking contract. That’s a big no-no.

Obviously I want to see riders do well and get the best deal possible for the entertainment they provide but disregarding contractual agreements?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Martin Whitely does seem royally p*ssed off

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh Trek aren’t happy! It all looks a bit messy. I wonder what the penalty clauses are like in a Letter if Intent?

Lifer
    Free Member

tomaso – Member
    Greg Minaar would be a nice safe choice and some one young and faaast too.

Minaar’s an old boy! And don’t think he’ll be leaving Santa Cruz/The Syndicate anytime soon, he can pretty much do what he wants there.

batfink
    Free Member

Aaron Gwin signed a legally binding Letter Of Intent

doesn’t sound like he had a contract….. LOAs are a bit of a halfway house I believe.

Lifer
    Free Member

Coyote – Member
    Oh, I didn’t realise he was breaking contract. That’s a big no-no.

Obviously I want to see riders do well and get the best deal possible for the entertainment they provide but disregarding contractual agreements?

I can’t find any amount of bothered over this, happens in every other sport.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Shame he felt the need to wait till just before their deadline to do it though. Would agree that that seems a little unprofessional. Leaving Trek a bit high and dry to find his replacement before the deadline, although am sure there will be plenty of young guys who will do well with that place. Be good to see if Brook can string together a good season, I like the way that boy rides.

chakaping
    Free Member

Minaar’s an old boy!

I think he meant Minnaar plus another young rider.

That’s what I’d be looking to do if I were in Trek’s position anyway.

Coyote
    Free Member

happens in every other sport

Doesn’t make it right though.

edd

I do feel quite sorry for Martin Whiteley and the Trek World Racing team. It does appear to have been quite underhand.

matt1986
    Free Member

I can’t believe that people on pinkbike are selling their session 88 and some taking their demos off sale :-O do they not realise that most riders will ride for who pays them most and because Gwin rides one doesn’t mean it’s the best bike for them?!? Crazy

RoterStern
    Free Member

Apart from the obvious financial gain why would he leave a team that has brought him two successive WC titles?

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe it was just the money on offer that made Gwin move, but maybe he wasn’t entirely happy at TWR?

Whiteley does seem to have his fingers in a lot of pies, and hasn’t been shy of taking credit for Gwin’s success.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t believe that people on pinkbike are selling their session 88 and some taking their demos off sale :-O do they not realise that most riders will ride for who pays them most

I know what you mean, from reading the comments on there they seem to think it’s all about which brand of fizzy pop sponsors each rider.

scruff
    Free Member

It cant be just $. He’s not daft and has alot of very clever folk who know whats what advising him. JT would have been involved in some way shirley?

legend
    Free Member

Maybe Jesus told him to do it?

tomaso
    Free Member

I don’t feel sorry for Martin Whiteley, he should’ve got the contract particulars agreed and signed in the 4 months since the letter of intent was sorted in August. Afterall that is his job.

Lifer
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

“Minaar’s an old boy!”

I think he meant Minnaar plus another young rider.

That’s what I’d be looking to do if I were in Trek’s position anyway.

Yup, on review 😳 As you were!

Lifer
    Free Member

tomaso – Member
    I don’t feel sorry for Martin Whiteley, he should’ve got the contract particulars agreed and signed in the 4 months since the letter of intent was sorted in August. Afterall that is his job.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY[/video]

vinnyeh

Anyone really surprised by Specialized moving on Gwinn?

Industry bullies, take whatever they want, and **** everyone else.

tomaso
    Free Member

Thats what a Imeant – a safe bet on a known world class performer and a young fast hungry gamble.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Aaron Gwin Signs With Specialized…’ is closed to new replies.