Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH………… Just stripped the thread on my crank bolt.
  • bigblackshed

Arse.

I recently bought some tab shims to go on my Race Face Deus cranks. Pretty them up a bit. Tried fitting them but they don’t look special, the wrong shape compared to the spider arms on the crank. So I thought I’d have a crack at making some of my own from an old thin aluminium bash guard. Couple of hours cutting and filing and hey presto custom tab shims that don’t look half bad.

New chain ring bolts with a smaller female half. All set. Could I get the longer bolts off? The longer female “nuts” are tight as hell in the chain ring. “I know, take the crank arm off, do it on the bench” The self extracting bolt in the crank is the 10mm left hand thread outer, 8mm right hand thread inner bolt. “This will be tight, so big ratchet time”

Turn, grunt, gurn, spinnnnnnnnnn……….. ****, stripped.

Now the inner bolt is spinning with no resistance. Both ways.

I hope I haven’t buggered up the cranks?

Ambrose

Any decent LBS will be able to fix it for you. FWIW, if you are anywhere near Carmarthen, Beicau Hobbs will see you right.

lovewookie

You’ll need one of these

Hopefully the inner bolt will be easy to remove, unless it has threadlock.. Then it’ll need drilled and an easy out reverse tap.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH………… Just stripped the thread on my crank bolt.’ is closed to new replies.