Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Aaaaah Help – entered the Wimblebourne Triathlon – training help required & bike
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

A bloke at work has duped me into entering the wimblebourne triathlon (cycling leg) as a team of three. Only problems are – i don’t have road bike, am lacking in fitness, and have no desire to ride 60 miles!!

Any helpo with training – i have a young kid, full time job, limited tiome, want to ride my MTB, after that i am free to train!!

Whats this time crunched training manual??

Any idea about a suitable bike? must be SUPER cheap as i will use it for 6 months max!!

njee20
    Free Member

Get a second hand road bike off here, eBay etc.

60 miles isn’t a lot on a road bike really, are the other 2 super competitive and going to hate you if you just bimble round, or are they ‘in it for a laugh’ folk?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

one is dead competitive the other isn’t, up against another team (of women) form work!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Oh well, get a road bike, do some miles on it, you may well find you like it. You’ll be fine.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

do i need to wear L***a?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s more comfortable, more practical and you’ll go faster. Exactly the same as on the mountain bike. Whether you choose to wear it is up to you.

There will be a lot of very fast people at the front, wearing lycra, who will do the entire race in less time than you do the cycle, and there will be people at the back coughing and wheezing their way around, in baggies. Decide who you are most like 🙂

pushbikerider
    Free Member

Do you mean Wimbleball – the Half Ironman in Exmoor? I think I know why they wanted someone else to do the cycling part 😉

Practice your hill climbing would be my advice – it’s bastard hilly! That and maybe look for a road bike with a triple on (or compact to get you some nice low gears). See if you can borrow one off a mate perhaps?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

oops 🙁

wimbleball yes

pushbikerider
    Free Member

…on the plus side at least you won’t have to do a 40 min swim beforehand or a 2 hour run after 🙂

Frequency is the key for training – it’s much better do to 5 one hour rides in a week than 1 five hour ride. Mountain biking counts too, just practice those hills!

If you can do, nip down for a ride around the course before the race, it’s always good knowing what’s coming up. It’s two laps so you can always just do one lap to get a feel for things…

Good luck!

kilo

Do you have a hardtail with lockout on the front if so might be worth getting some fast tyres and trying to borrow some tri bars

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Aaaaah Help – entered the Wimblebourne Triathlon – training help required & bike’ is closed to new replies.