Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Aaaaaaah Microsoft
  • the-muffin-man

I only want to buy a sub to Office 365!

Seems I can’t – “Something happened at our end” errors thrown up on 2 PCs and 1 Mac – tried all browsers, clearing cache etc.

How can their own store for their own product not work!

And before you all say OpenOffice, LibreOffice – I need Office. 🙂

jonjones262
    Free Member

my Windows is saying it’s not been activated today!? dunno what’s going on…

verses

I prefer Bisto…

nealglover
    Free Member

The Microsoft crew will be along shortly to tell you it’s your fault because you don’t know enough about how to make it “just work” 👍

hope that helps.

rene59
    Free Member

Try OpenOffice instead.

chewkw
    Free Member

I cannot even sign-in to Microsoft account … keep telling me password incorrect even after I have created it with details all in front of me. 🙁

richmars

Onedrive working fine for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Microsoft crew will be along shortly to tell you it’s your fault because you don’t know enough about how to make it “just work”

Well it sounds like a store issue, I’d suggest trying the help function – think there is a live chat there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Clearly something wrong with their servers somewhere. Pretty much everything breaks at sose point. Life will be easier if you just relax and wait for it to be fixed.

An Apple user will be along shortly to make the same old digs about Windows that have no revelevance to the situation.. oh wait they already have!

The thing that’s broken is probably not run by Microsoft and may well not even be anything to do with Windows.

nealglover
    Free Member

An Apple user will be along shortly to make the same old digs about Windows that have no revelevance to the situation.. oh wait they already have!

I am a Windows user really, 50hrs a week at work on a windows machine. Evenings and weekends I’m an Apple user.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And you understanding of ecommerce is? 😉 do macs host better store fronts?

nealglover
    Free Member

And you understanding of ecommerce is?

…. Windows update needed, sense of humour error code  1.0004/23

binners

Oooooh…ME! ME! Just for you Molls…. ahem….

As a sniffy aloof Mac/Adobe user I’ve always found Microsoft and Fisher Price to be indistinguishable

Will that do? Imagine me stroking my chin in an utterly disdainful, almost pitying fashion. 😉

Cougar

Imagine me stroking my chin in an utterly disdainful, almost pitying fashion.

To be fair, that’s our default mental image of you.

binners

To be fair, it is my default setting

fubar
    Free Member

Sounds familiar. I had to phone them to get mine sorted in the end, they were quite helpful on the phone. I think I was somehow registered as  being based in USA despite my UK address and this threw all the payment verification into a tiss,

Greybeard
    Free Member

A watermark appeared on my Windows 10 desktop today telling me to Activate my copy of Windows. Puzzled, since I activated it when I upgraded from 7, however long ago that was, and I’ve made no hardware changes. So went to settings, and saw in big red letters “We can’t activate this copy of windows because you don’t have a valid product code, etc” and lots of guff about the perils of using unlicensed copies. Click “Troubleshoot” and it then says “We’ve activated this copy of Windows”. So, all sorted, but what are they up to?!

Poopscoop

Mines ok, not booted it up for a while. The Android phone and tab does 99% of it all these days….

fossy

Windows update shenanigans.  Have had a wired LAN PC with a new install of Windows refuse to recognise its connected for no reason (had worked pre update earlier this week).  A reboot of the BT hub sorted it in the end.

phiiiiil

I had an email and text yesterday saying someone had tried to access my Microsoft account and I had to unlock it, but on trying to do so I was met with “this service doesn’t seem to be working, please try later” at every turn. I wonder what broke?

Cougar

Windows update shenanigans.  Have had a wired LAN PC with a new install of Windows refuse to recognise its connected for no reason (had worked pre update earlier this week).  A reboot of the BT hub sorted it in the end.

I know exactly what you mean.  I updated my PC the other day and now my fridge doesn’t work.  Bloody Microsoft.

funkmasterp

Just stear clear of Safestyle and you’ll be grand.

hols2
    Free Member

A watermark appeared on my Windows 10 desktop today telling me to Activate my copy of Windows.

No idea if it’s related to the Office 365 thing, but the Win10 activation thing has been in the news, looks like MS really screwed up the activation servers and Win10 Pro installs are being misidentified as Win10 Home, so it appears to the activation servers that you have the wrong version of Windows even though you have a legit version of Win10. MS should sort it out if you wait a bit.

MS really seem to have screwed up badly with the latest version of Win10 (1809), which was withdrawn to fix bugs, but that’s screwed over the OEM manufacturers who can’t ship the latest machines (with 1809 preinstalled) until MS sort the bugs.

Cougar

that’s screwed over the OEM manufacturers who can’t ship the latest machines (with 1809 preinstalled)

Have you got a source for this bit of tale?  Only it sounds highly unlikely on several levels.

Cougar

To elaborate on that:

An OEM would be really stupid to bundle a version of Windows that hasn’t been on general release to the public for an amount of time for exactly that reason – give time for showstopper bugs to be found.

An OEM would be really stupid to bundle of Windows that hadn’t been extensively tested on their own hardware, and that takes time.  Sure, they’ll get the builds early, but still.

To change their software loadout would involve updating their master images, which takes time.

Why would they want to do that anyway?  It labour-intensive and gains them nothing.  Every OEM system I’ve ever set up – and that’s a LOT – the first thing it does is spend half a day doing Windows updates.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The problem with 1809 is that for a small number of users updating from 1806 have lost files during the upgrade. Which isn’t an issue for users with a brand new 1809 device.

1809 is a major upgrade and Win10 1809 forms the basis for Windows Server 2019.

I can’t think of a single Windows (or any other OS) device that comes out of the box with the current version, not even close.

The 1809 issue may be the cause of the MS Server or not, they go off fairly regularly it’s sad to say, but rarely for long.

hols2
    Free Member

The problem with 1809 is that for a small number of users updating from 1806 have lost files during the upgrade. Which isn’t an issue for users with a brand new 1809 device.

That was the first problem that led to it being withdrawn. The problem that led to the long delay was with zip files, apparently. If you unzip a file, it will overwrite earlier versions within the same directory without prompting the user. Very minor issue that is unlikely to affect anyone, but it is present in all installations, not just updates.

That may be a fairly minor issue, but the 1809 debacle and issue with the activation servers really do not reflect well on MS. A single update per year that is properly tested and had the bugs sorted would be much better than two buggy updates.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is the app store broken for anyone else today?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Aaaaaaah Microsoft’ is closed to new replies.