Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A555 Manchester airport road closed?
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Hi
    I’ve got to collect my son from Manchester airport this evening. Driving from Sheffield. Usually take the new A555 rather than the snake nowadays. However it’s been flooded this week. Twice.
    Anyone local know if it’s reopened yet?
    The snake pass has night closures for resurfacing this week…
    Cheers for any advice.

MartynS

Closed…

oldtennisshoes

The Waze app, usually has up to date information on road closures in these situations.

https://www.waze.com/livemap?utm_source=waze_website

nbt

No way it will open today.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Buxton weather watch on facebook always has really good info about areas in and around Manchester airport. I saw something about that road last night.

MartynS

Be careful with waze… it’s had a wobble over the last few days and not known about the closures of late.

docrobster
    Free Member

Ah ok thanks for the update folks.
    It’s either woodhead or winnats then hayfield to Glossop then. Better set off early!

midlifecrashes

Is it worth letting the train take the strain this time? I don’t think that line has been rain affected.

slowoldman

It’s not the only road in the area to be flooded. Somewhere in this photo is the roundabout just down the road at Bramhall Park.

Flood

crazy-legs

A555 is closed all day today. That’s definite.
    Last night there were several other closures around Whaley Bridge, Disley and Poynton.

Trains – there were numerous cancellations from Manchester Picc to the airport yesterday afternoon due to flooding. That’s probably resolved now but check with Northern & TransPennine Express.

fossy

Just go round on the M60/M56

docrobster
    Free Member

I could ask him to get the train. But his flight is scheduled to get in at half ten, so I think he’d have to wait till morning!
    Edit: there is a train at 11.30pm… knowing queues for passport control at Manchester though, and 5 18 year old lads coming back from inter railing won’t get into any scrapes no chance…

Bunnyhop

More rain is forecast this afternoon, meaning the A555 will be closed for a few more days now.

carlos
    Free Member

They’ve apparently started to evacuate Whaley Bridge for fear of the dam collapsing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49189955

fossy

If that goes, it’s bye bye Whaley, and quite a few of the villages down stream of the Goyt, and possibly canal if the water floods into there.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That dam has started to collapse at Whaley, that’s serious stuff if that goes! 😳

docrobster
    Free Member

Yeah just heard that in the news. Scary stuff

unovolo
    Free Member

So stuck round Whaley today and tomorrow working in Bramhall, dont think my timing could get any better!!,

What canoe for a Toyota Aygo?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A555 Manchester airport road closed?’ is closed to new replies.